Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:49:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingGoing PG; Introducing realistic guns into an otherwise kid friendly game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Going PG; Introducing realistic guns into an otherwise kid friendly game  (Read 1005 times)
RoboticPotato
Level 0

CEO

View Profile WWW
« on: June 25, 2014, 06:16:03 AM »

So currently I'm working on a game called the Mother Goose Demolition Company. It's a match-3 game about destroying structures.

The basic story is that the character, Mother Goose runs a demolition company that is helping out a farmer. During the course of the story, the player discovers Mother Goose is in fact, something of an anti-hero, in that she is causing environmental destruction by forcing woodland creatures off of their native lands.

The main idea is to play with all the notions put forth by Republican right-wing propaganda- the rights of industry, the ideal of the gentleman farmer, and anti-immigration bias (By leeway of Canadian antagonists)

The art and story feel I'm trying to get basically stems from books like this
Tea Party Coloring Book
http://www.amazon.com/Tea-Party-Coloring-Book-8-5x11/dp/193526656X
Ted Cruz to the Future
http://www.amazon.com/Ted-Cruz-Future-Coloring-Activity/dp/1619530953/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=09EAWRK7734SWCMJ22ES

So within that soup of Republican rah rah I'd like to address guns and the 2nd amendment. One of the story points would be that the wilderness animals get a federal injunction to stop the demolition of their native homes, so the farmer and Mother Goose decide to 'Get Constitutional'

I'd do this by giving Mother Goose a special ability to use a gun, an AK-47, in order to shoot the 'gems' in the match-3 game to destroy them and remove them from the board.

I think it's pretty comical to see Mother Goose with an AK47 raining bullet hell on her enemies, but it would definitely take the game into a darker, less little-kid friendly territory. Right now the game is very little kid friendly- the AK47 would probably move it from the 6 year old segment to like the 10 year old segment.

So that's my quandry- should I put in the gun to make a really subtle story point, or leave it out because frankly it's not that necessary to gameplay, and it might make people avoid the game who would otherwise play?

Visit the Robotic Potato!
http://roboticpotato.com
Marc Truant
Level 0

Dun dun dunn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 09:21:59 AM »

Necessary to gameplay or not, it seems like your vision for the game is to create something of a refutation against conservative stances and ideas that you don't agree with, so why not do it? If you want to make a point, then I'd say go ahead and stick the AK-47 in there.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic