Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 09:12:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat do you dislike about commercial games these days?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: What do you dislike about commercial games these days?  (Read 5111 times)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2007, 10:11:09 AM »

Commercial gaming it seems has gone the route of Hollywoood in that a game is more focused these days on it's mass appeal and how visually stimulating it is rather then the gameplay itself. I just wanted to know what everyone thought of as the biggest flaw in commercial games today is? For me I would have to say it is the endless array of clone after clone after clone of games that we have played to death (Final Fantasy anyone?). It seems that as long as the developers know what will make them money they will continue to force feed people the same old thing year after year (I mean, was any Final Fantasy after FF7 really all that different?) There are some exceptions however (most notably, for me however, Okami for PS2) that will do something that is somewhat derivative from the norm....but ultimately we are seeing the same games we have seen for the past 10 years...only with higher res graphics. So what do you guys dislike about the current state of commercial games?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 10:18:42 AM by skaldicpoet9 » Logged

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 10:23:02 AM »

dude, give it a rest.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 10:25:35 AM »

dude, give it a rest.

?

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 10:29:46 AM »

Actually, Final Fantasy XII was a lot different from any of the previous ones.

Seriously, though, I think we've talked this topic to death, and we're all largely in agreement with one another.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 10:32:21 AM »

Actually, Final Fantasy XII was a lot different from any of the previous ones.

Seriously, though, I think we've talked this topic to death, and we're all largely in agreement with one another.

Damn....is there something that hasn't been talked to death here? lol

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 10:33:19 AM »

We haven't had a good thread on sandwiches in awhile.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 10:34:14 AM »

We haven't had a good thread on sandwiches in awhile.

lol....I am eating sub right now....subs rock!

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 10:35:50 AM »

mainstream sandwiches suck.
i had this sandwich once, in Victoria, guy made it from vegetables he grew on solar panels in his house made of grass. indie sandwiches are way better.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 10:37:19 AM »

mainstream sandwiches suck.
i had this sandwich once, in Victoria, guy made it from vegetables he grew on solar panels in his house made of grass. indie sandwiches are way better.

I agree, this one time I made a rockin' sandwich...it was totally DIY...lol

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 10:38:43 AM »

the worst sandwiches are match-3-sandwiches type of sandwiches.
those sandwiches are only in it for the sandwich money.

i like artsandwiches myself.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 10:39:53 AM »

the worst sandwiches are match-3-sandwiches type of sandwiches.
those sandwiches are only in it for the sandwich money.

i like artsandwiches myself.

Me? I like abstract art-deco sandwiches myself...nothing beats a cubist sandwich...

mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 10:51:58 AM »

I think there's room for all kinds of sandwiches.  Indie sandwiches are new and fresh and made with boundless love and all that, which is great, and I do eat that kind of sandwich a lot myself.  But, sometimes you could really go for one of those mainstream sandwiches too, you know?  Just because they're bloody expensive and come with extra cheese doesn't mean that some of them can't taste really good too.  I mean, I happen to like cheese.

Mmm, cheese.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 10:53:17 AM »

i had this sandwich once, in Victoria..

HOLLA!

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 10:55:04 AM »

Actually, there is this fucking great sandwich place here in Victoria. The Montreal Meat Cafe, downtown? Don't even get me started. That place almost makes me want to move to Montreal just for the promise of sandwiches. I swear it's some kind of French cultural sabotage.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 10:57:30 AM »

Actually, there is this fucking great sandwich place here in Victoria. The Montreal Meat Cafe, downtown? Don't even get me started. That place almost makes me want to move to Montreal just for the promise of sandwiches. I swear it's some kind of French cultural sabotage.

Man, I totally dig sandwiches...maybe I'll have to move to Canada....free health care and sandwiches...I am down lol...

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 10:58:32 AM »

i lied.
ive never been to victoria.
its a montreal hipster joke.
everybody's from victoria.
so you hear "once, in victoria" a LOT.
i once knew a guy who trainhopped from victoria to montreal.
yup.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 11:03:30 AM »

i lied.
ive never been to victoria.
its a montreal hipster joke.
everybody's from victoria.
so you hear "once, in victoria" a LOT.
i once knew a guy who trainhopped from victoria to montreal.
yup.

I had a gutter punk friend who was all about train hopping...he even had ghetto style train track tattoos on his arms lol...Never been to Victoria though...been to B.C. but that's about it....

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 11:04:03 AM »

I also once knew a guy who did that!

But yeah, everyone from Victoria eventually goes to Montreal. Then they come back raving about it as this beautiful city with hanging gardens and art and culture where everyone just lies around and eats grapes all day.

It's kind of led me to assume that Montreal is just these two trees out in a field in the middle of nowhere with a couple of hobos eating beans from a can, and everyone who gets out there is really disappointed, so they make up this awesome story about how they met some crazy art girl at a Wolf Parade show and spent six months hanging out in her studio apartment and making sculptures out of animal fat and discarded porcelain, but then she was killed in a freak train accident so they came back home.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 11:06:58 AM »

thats your usual mile end story, yup.
(mile end being the culturaly diverse neighborhood whereall the artsy kids live. there's train tracks for all your hopping needs and almost regular secret shows under overpasses and such.)

and haha, wolf parade show stories.
i have a few of those.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 11:08:14 AM »

I also once knew a guy who did that!

But yeah, everyone from Victoria eventually goes to Montreal. Then they come back raving about it as this beautiful city with hanging gardens and art and culture where everyone just lies around and eats grapes all day.

It's kind of led me to assume that Montreal is just these two trees out in a field in the middle of nowhere with a couple of hobos eating beans from a can, and everyone who gets out there is really disappointed, so they make up this awesome story about how they met some crazy art girl at a Wolf Parade show and spent six months hanging out in her studio apartment and making sculptures out of animal fat and discarded porcelain, but then she was killed in a freak train accident so they came back home.

lol....Canada is crazy....that happened to me one time....I met these two hobos and ate some beans...I went to this chick's apartment and made some shitty sculptures out of play-dough and when I woke up in the morning she said she didn't know who I was and called the police lol...

thats your usual mile end story, yup.
(mile end being the culturaly diverse neighborhood whereall the artsy kids live. there's train tracks for all your hopping needs and almost regular secret shows under overpasses and such.)and haha, wolf parade show stories.
i have a few of those.

lol....that guys name was actually Miles lol....
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 11:36:19 AM by skaldicpoet9 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic