Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 08:41:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMonstrum (Now released!)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Monstrum (Now released!)  (Read 13598 times)
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2015, 05:41:11 PM »

Congratulations on the (early access) release! I will be sure to get a copy.

Mr. Virus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2015, 04:20:30 AM »

Congratulations on the (early access) release! I will be sure to get a copy.

Thanks very much!  Masochisia looks pretty interesting. Visually reminds me of the Simogo stuff, will keep an eye on it Smiley.

Mr. Virus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2015, 03:46:47 AM »

Quick little update before we push out the first patch this week Smiley.

Here are some new animations that we are getting looking to put in as we polish things up, so there are still a few more to go. Still an iterative process so may not be final, but looking a bit better Smiley.

The running animation's been scrubbed up a little.

We've also got a death animation for when you decide to tackle fire head on, though you may need to use your imagination a little bit here.

And we've been sorting out some of the monster animations to make them look a little more fluid too Smiley.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2015, 05:55:34 AM »

Wow, the updated animations are looking very nice. It's great to see you guys are getting such awesome user reviews even at the Early Access stage. Congrats! These updates are definitely going to help keep the positivity rolling.

Thanks very much!  Masochisia looks pretty interesting. Visually reminds me of the Simogo stuff, will keep an eye on it Smiley.

Just saw this. That is a huge compliment, thank you. I definitely don't think its near on par with the quality Simogo churns out but I appreciate it.

Mr. Virus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2015, 06:57:46 AM »

Wow, the updated animations are looking very nice. It's great to see you guys are getting such awesome user reviews even at the Early Access stage. Congrats! These updates are definitely going to help keep the positivity rolling.

Just saw this. That is a huge compliment, thank you. I definitely don't think its near on par with the quality Simogo churns out but I appreciate it.

It's definitely got that vibe to it Smiley. Will be good to see the end result!

Mr. Virus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2015, 06:59:31 AM »

Time for a quick blog on one of the more technical audio aspects of Monstrum: the audio mixing system. For audio guys this might be fairly basic stuff but it’ll give you a look at how we’re managing some of our audio systems. There isn’t exactly much of an understanding of game audio and its processes to those outside of the audio sphere, so hopefully it’ll be useful in opening up the black box of audio voodoo to people who aren’t too familiar with what we actually get up to.

As Monstrum is built using Unity 4 without any audio middleware (or Unity 5’s fancy/awesome new audio features) we’ve had to be a bit creative for a lot of the audio implementation. So things like our reverb system are quite different to Unity’s standard method, as we do things on a per room/corridor piece basis as opposed to spheres to avoid reverb zones bleeding into areas they shouldn’t be in. As Monstrum’s ship is procedurally generated we could have had a lot of scenarios with overlapping reverb zones, so completely removing that possibility gives us one less issue to worry about!

Similarly, dynamic mixing in Unity 4 isn’t something that’s completely doable out of the box, so Gary managed to build a little workaround for that too. We have a fairly simple system that involves tagging groups of sounds and creating “snapshots” of mixes based on certain gameplay parameters. Snapshot mixing isn’t anything new in games and is one of the easiest methods of doing real-time mixing. Subgrouping audio isn’t new either, and Unity 5 makes it a bit more obvious and easier to do thanks to its new mixer features, but we’re working with what we’ve got! While the word “snapshot” might make this seem like a fairly static technique it can be used in a more active fashion, triggering a set of conditions to alter a mix dynamically as opposed to jumping between different parameters.

Duck Tags! Awoohoo!

This is how we do things in Monstrum. With this system we can dynamically change the sound scape depending on where you are or what’s going on. The most obvious implementation of this in game is when you’re in a hiding space, which triggers a snapshot in which the mix is altered based on the monster’s proximity to you. As you’re keeping out of sight under a desk or in a locker, you might hear the monster’s footsteps and growls becoming more apparent while less important sounds like water in pipes or flickering lights begin to move out of your listening field. As it moves closer to you the focus shifts further to the monster’s sounds and the player’s breathing with other sounds being pushed down the ladder. We can use this snapshot mix to build up tension and make it really feel like the monster is closing in on the player’s location, and slowly release it as it moves away to give that sense of relief that comes with not being squished…

A slightly more traditional example (that we’re still working on) is transitioning between different area of the ships, where the different environmental noises and airs change depending on where you are. After all, it doesn’t make much sense to hear the wind and sea when you’re climbing through some containers, so by grouping the sounds into their locations we can quickly (and cheaply!) swap between them.

Snapshots aren’t the only mixing solution available, with High Dynamic Range Audio being adopted by more companies and middleware providers. I’ll not go into that right now, so here’s a nice summary of a few different techniques.

Mr. Virus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2015, 07:32:30 AM »

Ho boy, it's been a while since I last updated this... so a quick recap:

We're got an engine room in!

The last part of the ship when in in mid-March, just in time for EGX Rezzed! We've added in a new, multi-floor area complete with its own distraction system and a prize in the form of a master valve which can disable all of the steam traps in the game! One of the artists is planning to do a blog about but, but in the meantime here's a little looky at it in action:

And speaking of Rezzed...

We went to Rezzed again!

Which was fun, and the Tobacco Dock's a nice venue too. I did a little write up of some of the games I liked down there which I won't repeat, so check them out here: http://teamjunkfish.com/2015/03/misc-blog-15-we-went-to-egx-rezzed-again/ Some really cool stuff all round, especially in the Leftfield Collection!

But for us it was a pretty good show! We took the Oculus DK2 with us too after Steph shoved the support back in and duct taped it together in the hope that it'd not break, and it managed to play nice for the whole show! Considering it was the first time we'd taken the DK2 public with us it was great to see how people took to Monstrum on it.

We're still up to stuff!

We're currently working on version 0.9.3, which will include some victory cutscenes as well as a load of animation and audio touch ups Smiley. We're also working on the next big feature, the third monster, who should be appearing soon hopefully... And actually sorting the Oculus support too!

Mr. Virus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2015, 01:33:12 AM »

Been a bit hard pressed for time but some big announcements for Monstrum!

First, we're leaving Early Access on the 20th of May!

We've just pushed out a fairly big update as well which should have a few surprises in it, so now we're working away towards the release date.

Here's some new promo art too Smiley.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2015, 11:21:46 AM »

Congrats on the full release guys, looking forward to playing!

Mr. Virus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2015, 02:59:56 AM »

Congrats on the full release guys, looking forward to playing!

Cheers very much :D! It's been a hell of a run ha ha!

Mr. Virus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2015, 03:02:11 AM »

Anyway, Monstrum is now full available! You can grab it from a few places listed here:

And the sound track is also up for grabs too:

Cheers for following Smiley.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic