Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411521 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:04:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Ruins of Old Earth, a lo-fi metroidvainia game (Gone for good?)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: The Ruins of Old Earth, a lo-fi metroidvainia game (Gone for good?)  (Read 31072 times)
Canned Turkey
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2014, 09:29:40 AM »

UPDATE 6.. I THINK...
Music and Sound!

I will no longer be updating this only on Saturdays.

Audio is what's up this week. I thought it would take a while to make the changes to ""game feel"", and reduce lag, but that only took a couple days! So, this week I've been working on audio. The music is pretty strait-forward, my brother Andrew is doing some nice ambient tracks!

https://soundcloud.com/aardvarkstamp/backgroundsample
Background music!

https://soundcloud.com/aardvarkstamp/menusample
Menu music!

For sfx, neither me or my brother can make convincing sounds, so I needed to find Royalty Free Suff!!
(double jeopardy sound goes here)
All I have to say about this, sifting through all the "free" websites and actually free websites that stank, I found a diamond in the rough, freesounds.org. Sounds made under the creative commons licence makes things SO much easier.

Also, here's a GIF of some of the gameplay so far.

please note the framrate of this image is not what the game is actually running at.

EXTRA: here's the list of testers so far! This will be at the end of every update from now on.
sta64
rio8
rabbit
Cristiano Vitorino
Scifa

If you want to be on the list, just say so!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:08:28 AM by Canned Turkey » Logged
Canned Turkey
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2014, 08:40:51 PM »

Working on level design, thought i'd show off the mushroom forest.

EDIT:   Waaagh! Waaagh! 7000+ VIEWS!!! Waaagh! Waaagh!
Thank you all so much for taking the time to check out my game, it means a lot!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:54:49 AM by Canned Turkey » Logged
Canned Turkey
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2014, 01:03:44 PM »

Took a break from level design to add a new enemy.
I think a have an addiction to fish.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2014, 08:57:41 PM »

New area stuff, nearing the end of level design.

Now I just have to remember the difference between stalactites and stalagmites.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2014, 07:01:00 AM »

Great subdued palette. Looks like the game's turning out great so far.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2014, 05:15:25 PM »

Great subdued palette. Looks like the game's turning out great so far.
Thanks!

bumping the progress up to 70%, I've "finished" level design. The game is turning out slightly smaller in scope then I'd have hoped, but I'd rather finish a short-ish game than spend forever on a game with no end in sight.

What's left to do:
1. Bosses.
I have three rooms for bosses in the game, two small and one for the final encounter, just need to design the fights and what you're fighting.

2. More enemies.
I got rid of the sentinels, they where glitchy and didn't fit into the game world. This leaves a lot of empty space I need to fill with more interesting enemies.

3. Testing testing testing.
I want the final game to be a short and sweet experience, what's there needs to grip the player and be fun. This mean lots of closed beta testing and refining everything.

4. Finding someone to sell the thing.
My plans for selling right now is itch.to and humble store, but I don't know whether or not they'll even pick up my game when I ask them to host it. If you guys know any storefronts that are open to smaller games, I would appreciate it.

Testers so far:
sta64
rio8
rabbit
Cristiano Vitorino
Scifa

If you want to be on the list, just say so.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 05:24:48 PM by Canned Turkey » Logged
Cristiano Vitorino
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2014, 09:46:33 PM »

My plans for selling right now is itch.to and humble store, but I don't know whether or not they'll even pick up my game when I ask them to host it. If you guys know any storefronts that are open to smaller games, I would appreciate it.

Have a demo before contacting them, they are likely to ask for a demo before taking any decision. Or at very least some videos.

Some places I know that are more indie friendly (besides the ones you already mentioned):

Desura
Gameolith
GOG
Steam Greenlight
Ubuntu Software Center
Google Play
Get Games Go
Gametap
Playism
IndieGameStand
Canned Turkey
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2014, 10:02:02 PM »

Have a demo before contacting them, they are likely to ask for a demo before taking any decision. Or at very least some videos.

Some places I know that are more indie friendly (besides the ones you already mentioned):

Desura
Gameolith
GOG
Steam Greenlight
Ubuntu Software Center
Google Play
Get Games Go
Gametap
Playism
IndieGameStand

Noted. Thanks.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2014, 08:54:04 PM »

AFAIK, itch has the least barrier to entry out of any other possible storefront, especially since it has web and free games up there. I'm pretty sure you just submit your e-mail to become a dev, and then you can submit a game for free.

bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2014, 04:16:47 PM »

I don't know if you're still looking for testers, but I'd love to help!

Canned Turkey
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2014, 02:27:41 PM »

I don't know if you're still looking for testers, but I'd love to help!

Yeah, testing will never close, I just would like to keep it to people who ask.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2014, 02:15:02 PM »

ALPHA 1

I finally sent out a link to the first test release!
If you didn't get it, you either have not been put on the mailing list, or don't have an email on your profile.
Those of you not on the list can be put on it on request, and those without emails public have been contacted.

Also, 8000+ views! Woo!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Gomez Hand Metal Right
neondeity
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2014, 07:42:09 PM »

New area stuff, nearing the end of level design.

Now I just have to remember the difference between stalactites and stalagmites.

Someone once told me:

Stalactites hang on TIGHT to the ceiling. Look out for stalagmites because you MIGHT trip over them.

Never forgot that since.

Also, hey, this: http://indiegames.com/2014/10/the_ruins_of_old_earth_is_a_mo.html

Canned Turkey
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2014, 08:19:15 PM »

Someone once told me:
Stalactites hang on TIGHT to the ceiling. Look out for stalagmites because you MIGHT trip over them.
Never forgot that since.

Also, hey, this: http://indiegames.com/2014/10/the_ruins_of_old_earth_is_a_mo.html

Thanks for the advice.

ALSO I GOT FEATURED ON INDIEGAMES.COM OH ME OH MY I AM SO EXCITED!!!  Hand Shake Left Waaagh! Hand Shake Right
Yeah, *composes self* that's cool I guess.
Cristiano Vitorino
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2014, 08:50:54 PM »

ALSO I GOT FEATURED ON INDIEGAMES.COM OH ME OH MY I AM SO EXCITED!!!  Hand Shake Left Waaagh! Hand Shake Right
Yeah, *composes self* that's cool I guess.

Haha nice, congrats man Gentleman
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2014, 08:57:56 PM »

Just saw this on indiegames.com.  Looking really fantastic.  Also, I love the title.

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2014, 09:01:31 PM »

I hate to be THAT GUY, but the game looks shockingly similar to Environmental Station Alpha in a lot of aspects.  Just my 2 cents.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Canned Turkey
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2014, 09:08:44 PM »

I hate to be THAT GUY, but the game looks shockingly similar to Environmental Station Alpha in a lot of aspects.  Just my 2 cents.

No, thanks for being that guy. I've been waiting for someone to bring this up. I didn't want to point it out on my own. I did start working on this after environmental station started development, but did not know of it's existence until after I started making this. I think the end products of both games will be different enough, and I hope you guys understand i'm not trying to copy anyone's work. Especially a game as good as that.
dittomat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2014, 02:51:49 AM »

Maan this looks cool, keep up the good work! :D It's been said before but the colorpalette is great Smiley

yo. @dittomat
Canned Turkey
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2014, 11:09:43 AM »

Maan this looks cool, keep up the good work! :D It's been said before but the colorpalette is great Smiley

Thanks!

Alright, time for an actual update.
Here's the game map so far, ~25% zoom, before view scaling.

As you can see, there's still some WIP areas, and a whole chunk (bottom right) not even started yet.
Progress was a bit slow lately, bug fixes mostly.
My main concern as of late was game length. I was thinking it would be 15-20 minutes without stopping to explore, and ~30 minutes if you did. But, after sending the alpha around. no one has complained about the short length, and my friend Anthony said he spent 3 hours just exploring, and the game's not even done yet. So, I guess I don't need to worry about that anymore.
Minor progress has been made in the way of bosses, I've animated the first one, and it'll be making an appearance soon.

For those of you who are receiving the alpha, the next update will have sound.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic