Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:18:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCatyph - 1st person Sci-Fi point & click (Myst-like)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Catyph - 1st person Sci-Fi point & click (Myst-like)  (Read 18314 times)
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2014, 12:22:56 PM »

So, does this mean no more regular-ish updates?
I hope a steady flow of pictographs.

Have you think about $ yet?

Yeah.
Simon_ASA
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2014, 03:36:23 AM »

So, does this mean no more regular-ish updates?
I hope a steady flow of pictographs.

No... No more regular-ish updates in this thread. Just a few more pics or videos, from time to time, probably. Of course it is still possible to follow the news about the game on the Black Cube blog (http://2011asa.blogspot.fr) or on the Icehouse collective (http://www.theicehouse.fr).

While I'm posting this, I'd like to warmly thank the few of you who came here to encourage my work, and I really hope you found some interest in reading this devlog! Thanks a lot to you too, eyeliner!

Have you think about $ yet?

Ahah not really. That's what I like in being an Indie dev: I'm not just doing my game for money (even if it is important). Of course, the more sales I can do, the more chances there are that I continue to create games in the future.

When my first game ASA: A Space Adventure released on Desura, it was sold 9.99€. I think Catyph will be more expensive, because it required an awful lot more work than its predecessor. It should be around 15€ (first idea, nothing decided officially), and I do really hope I can release it on Steam too (ASA will release in February in a Remastered Edition).
eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2014, 06:46:37 AM »

Nice! I just might have to buy Remastered ASA, then. And Catyph later. Smiley

Also, do you use any software like Bryce to make the images? I think they would help you quite a bit...

Yeah.
Simon_ASA
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2014, 02:46:03 AM »

Nice! I just might have to buy Remastered ASA, then. And Catyph later. Smiley

Thanks a lot for considering the purchase of ASA:Remastered and Catyph! But please wait for the first reviews and make your decisions depending on your personal tastes Wink I think Catyph will be much easier to access than ASA (ASA is very difficult for people not familiar with these games! there's no easy mode, no video transitions, it's a very classical slideshow game like the oldest Myst games).

Also, do you use any software like Bryce to make the images? I think they would help you quite a bit...

No, I'm doing all with 3dsmax and after effects, as described in the previous pages. It's a good combination for me because I work fast with them.

Bryce is probably very good and easy to start with, or just to make nice pictures, and it can allow anyone to create beautiful landscapes (probably more beautiful than the ones you can see in my games). However, according to me it's not very easy to use in the development process when you're on your own. You have to deal with several problems in Bryce that can be easily solved in 3dsmax (or Maya, or other). And I'm not very fond of scene exports between different softwares. Exporting scenes often creates new problems... imo!

Comfort at work is important to succeed in making a game (until the end) and it often requires some sacrifices regarding the final result. Particularly true in Catyph, where I have video transitions between each move, and very slow rendering times in 3dsmax. I had to optimize the production as much as possible and find the best ratio between quality and time of production! I work on my personal computer, not a very powerful system and I have limitations.

Eventually my next step could be to create a game with e-on's Vue
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/
Which would allow much more realistic environements. However this is a very heavy process and I'm not sure I can do it all alone. It will probably depend on how people welcome Catyph next year! There were many people who played ASA who asked me for another game, and that's the reason why I finally decided to work on Catyph. So if I can be convinced that I should do another game later, I probably will... I already have a lot of ideas

Whatever my choice for another game, I want to go with another step in quality. Catyph is technically better than ASA, and I expect my future games (if I ever make some) to be even better. That's also part of my challenge!
Realistic environments with Vue + 360° views in Dagon could be awesome.
Or maybe I will just take the plunge to realtime 3D and try making my own Adventure game with Unity or UDK? There are so many possibilities, that I cannot tell today. Some of these possibilities are much more technical and difficult than others, so everything will rely on the success of Catyph. If people say "stop, enough of your boring games", then I'll just stop ^^ Or maybe I'll stop for financial problems too  Big Laff

I also keep in mind that there is the crowdfunding possibility, but actually I think it is difficult to handle when you're a freelancer. Time will tell!
eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2014, 03:53:13 AM »

I voted for your devlog and project here.

Yeah.
wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2014, 11:32:25 AM »

Wow, not sure how I missed this.  There's a ton of awesome information in this thread.  I'm looking forward to seeing it in 2015!
Simon_ASA
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2014, 01:55:09 AM »

Thanks a lot eyeliner, it really helps!

And thanks also to SnakeCoiler and wccrawford. I hope you'll like the game. Let me know if you have questions regarding the projet, or things you don't understand in the previous pages.
I'll make a break in the dev during Christmas holiday, but I will work twice harder in 2015!
Simon_ASA
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2014, 09:17:49 AM »

If someone is interested, I have just released the prototype of last year's project that was canceled:
TBT: The Black Tower

It was a project of JRPG inspired by the PS1 era, and taking place in the Black Cube series (just like Catyph, which explains why I talk of it here).

I would suggest you have a look, it's free and totally full of bugs! haha
http://shop.theicehouse.fr

Of course we wanted to do much better than that, but we had failed our crowdfunding on Indiegogo and had to stop the dev. We were only 2 devs (+ 1 distant), and lacked of experience.
We're very sorry for all the mistakes in the texts!

That's the Christmas present from our collective The Icehouse! I wish you a Merry Christmas.
Simon_ASA
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2014, 02:27:30 AM »

Catyph has been greenlit on Steam. Thank you very much for your help and votes! Happy New Year 2015!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic