Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 07:43:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEngauge!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Engauge!  (Read 3296 times)
Toastie Republic
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2014, 02:56:28 PM »

Engauge is a 2D action-platformer with a healthy dose of adventure!

The Game

Long story short, Engauge is a narrative-centric game where you adventure as a hulking robot known as X1S. X1S isn't exactly the talkative type but thanks to your razor-sharp intuition we know that X1S is searching for something or another.

Some things are big, some things are small but all of them are remnants of a world already disappeared. He's not out to save the world. He's not out for revenge. He's just a big bot in a big world. There is a pretty hefty focus on ambience and world-building in Engauge. Though X1'S world is gone, civilization has once again taken root and given rise to diverse groups with unique cultures.

Collectibles - http://i.imgur.com/9qHckrt.jpg
World Map - http://i.imgur.com/l6wGXSr.jpg
NPC Concept Art - http://i.imgur.com/8em5J2u.jpg

Gameplay

Engauge is designed around tight controls and platforming.

The game's mechanics consist of running, jumping, wall-jumping, defending and using primary and secondary abilities. Primary and secondary abilities are determined by items known as cores. When a core is equipped X1'S arm transforms and he gains access to core-specific abilities. Cores can be swapped out on the fly for classy platforming fun.

Rocket Core - http://i.imgur.com/oFE44Bj.jpg

Gameplay Video -

Team

The team consists of 2 friends and a freelancer.

Gameplan

At the moment, we can't afford to pay our freelancer so we're earning up some money to continue development. Once we have the cash, getting the core game finished should take 8-9 months though polish may take up to infinity or beyond. All in all, we've made some pretty good progress and are getting better at this gamedev thing.

Progress Video -

Fun Facts
  • The game was made using our very own custom engine (The ToastieEngine: C++)
  • We realized Unity is great and will probably switch when we get the chance
  • I was going to start this devblog 5 months ago but I couldn't find the post button
  • Originally, this game was all pixel art and had a much more arcade-y feel

If you want to follow us in other places, here you go:

Blog - Check this out for a whole bunch of old posts not on TIG
Twitter - Say hello, I'm lonely
Website - There are buttons here
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 04:31:10 PM by Toastie Republic » Logged
Toastie Republic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 01:23:31 PM »

Made a trolley out of unrelated assets

Video

Next I'm going to tie in it's movement with the electricity coursing through it. That way, enemies will be able to operate trolleys with their electricity mechanics!
Toastie Republic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 12:50:48 PM »

Quote from: Toastie Republic
Next I'm going to tie in it's movement with the electricity coursing through it. That way, enemies will be able to operate trolleys with their electricity mechanics!

Enforcer dude now charges trolley up with electricity. Plus we added some fancy effects to go along with the electricity.

Webm
Toastie Republic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 10:56:09 AM »

We spruced up our site a bit and made ourselves a press kit. Check it out.

- New Website
- Presskit
Toastie Republic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 02:12:25 PM »

We're now on Kickstarter! Cowabunga dudes!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/431842510/engauge

Toastie Republic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 03:36:55 PM »

Hey everyone! Here’s a sneak-peek at a mechanic we’re working on: The Rocket-Smash!

Keep in mind, the mechanic we showed you features a lot of alpha art that will be polished for the game later on!

Next , update will feature a more comprehensive look at many of Engauge’s other mechanics!
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 06:12:01 PM »

Ooh, shiny. I really like the clean, futuristic look this game has. Looks very compelling and befitting in my mind.

Watching the gameplay video gave me this VectorMan vibe but with a more friendly, utopia over dystopia atmosphere, particularly that part where he appeared to be driving (floating?) around as some kind of heavy truck something or other. That's a very good vibe to have for me, FYI. In short, it looks to be a well put-together, cohesive concept.

At any rate, I definitely like the looks of this. Keep it up!  Smiley

What are your target platforms?
Toastie Republic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 04:06:48 PM »

Ooh, shiny. I really like the clean, futuristic look this game has. Looks very compelling and befitting in my mind.

Watching the gameplay video gave me this VectorMan vibe but with a more friendly, utopia over dystopia atmosphere, particularly that part where he appeared to be driving (floating?) around as some kind of heavy truck something or other. That's a very good vibe to have for me, FYI. In short, it looks to be a well put-together, cohesive concept.

At any rate, I definitely like the looks of this. Keep it up!  Smiley

Thanks for all the kind words! Really glad you enjoy the positive vibes; soon we'll have recognizable vehicles floating around(we scrapped the trolley together from unused assets)!

Our target platforms are PC, Mac and Linux! If possible, we'd like to port Engauge to the Vita, PS4 and Xbox as well.
Savick
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »

The title's name is confusing my mouth. Do I just say Engage and the U is silent? Saying En-gUage just sounds weird to me. Like luggage with an EN? I'm just not sure how to pronounce it.  Huh?
Toastie Republic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 04:20:41 PM »

The title's name is confusing my mouth. Do I just say Engage and the U is silent? Saying En-gUage just sounds weird to me. Like luggage with an EN? I'm just not sure how to pronounce it.  Huh?

Oh man lol. I mispelled the title of my on game. It's spelled Engauge and is pronounced pretty much the same as engage.
Savick
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 04:30:28 PM »

Oh man lol. I mispelled the title of my on game. It's spelled Engauge and is pronounced pretty much the same as engage.

If you edit your first post you can change the title. Good thing you caught this now, huh? hehe
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 05:03:48 PM »

At any rate, I definitely like the looks of this. Keep it up!  Smiley

Thanks for all the kind words! Really glad you enjoy the positive vibes; soon we'll have recognizable vehicles floating around(we scrapped the trolley together from unused assets)!

Our target platforms are PC, Mac and Linux! If possible, we'd like to port Engauge to the Vita, PS4 and Xbox as well.
Nice! Unfortunately I don't personally own any of those consoles, but PC can work.

Yeah, that whole vehicle thing reminded me specifically of how you'd transform into different contraptions in VectorMan. The dynamic-looking melee action and double-jump stuff somehow reminded me of it too, despite VectorMan being gun-centric rather than melee focused. When I found VectorMan it was like finding a diamond in the rough, and this is giving off familiar vibes albeit it in a more bright manner.  Hand Shake Left Kiss Hand Shake Right
Toastie Republic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 05:56:48 PM »

Yeah, that whole vehicle thing reminded me specifically of how you'd transform into different contraptions in VectorMan. The dynamic-looking melee action and double-jump stuff somehow reminded me of it too, despite VectorMan being gun-centric rather than melee focused. When I found VectorMan it was like finding a diamond in the rough, and this is giving off familiar vibes albeit it in a more bright manner.  Hand Shake Left Kiss Hand Shake Right

Smiley Awe yeah!

The different cores will transform the main character's arms to grant new abilities, so we'll do our best to live up to the Vector legacy!

Toastie Republic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 05:50:06 PM »

Hello world!

We've just released a gameplay update on Kickstarter. If you've ever wondered what all that core business was about, you're in luck! If you never cared or knew, then you'll be pleasantly surprised thanks to your lack of expectations!

We also updated the trailer based on some feedback. We think it's better than the previous one, although I haven't heard much feedback since.

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 11:18:43 AM »

So smooth looking...  Hand Any Key
Toastie Republic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 11:25:19 AM »

So smooth looking...  Hand Any Key

Smiley
Toastie Republic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2014, 11:09:39 AM »

Quick reminder, we're in the last 48 hours of our Kickstarter!

We also released a pre-alpha demo within the last week, so be sure to check it out if you're interested in GAMEPLAY GAMEPLAY GAMEPLAY!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic