Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:25:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopDon't know what to do with coloring and shading
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Don't know what to do with coloring and shading  (Read 3008 times)
The Sloth Jesus
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2014, 06:53:01 PM »

I have this enemy here, and I don't know how to shade it. I am not an artist, but by looking at it I am pretty certain I am doing something wrong. Also is there something I can do better with the coloring.
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 02:13:18 PM »

That's because you didn't quite grasp the idea of shading. Your dithering is good, but you just don't understand yet where you're supposed to put shadows/highlights are where you're not. Through the shapes of shadows you either make things round or flat (or anything else). It really comes down to understanding the basics.

Really, that's all.

But of course that's just the impression I got. Perhaps you wanted this thing to be shaped the way it is (I mean the shading, not silhouettes). Perhaps it looks weird because it's a green wasp without legs and wings and that will just look weird by default. Anyway, keep trying. Pixel art is like sports – you don't need to be exceptionally talented to be good at it and the only way to get better is to practice.

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 03:15:23 PM »

For coloring, make lighter colors fade to yellow and darker colors fade to blue. Just like if you look out on the horizon in the real world, objects further away will get slightly more blue the further away you are. In pixel art, this can be exaggerated for readability. With this in mind, here's a gif of my palette selection process:

The colors were compressed, but you can see generally what I do. I'm no expert but this gives nice results most of the time. So, more towards blue, and I also desaturate the darker colors more. Without touching the pixel work at all, I changed the colors of your sprite:

I'm not great at pixel art by any means, but I hope that will help the sprite stand out more. Also, I'd cut back on the dithering... but don't feel the need to add more colors.

Allen robert
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 03:34:30 AM »

Shading with colored pencils is easy and fun. When you shade the entire area smoothly in the lightest value, then add more layers as it gets darker and darker shrinking the area of the last layers. Color your way to relaxation and make beautiful art.
7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 02:23:01 PM »

Shading with colored pencils is easy and fun. When you shade the entire area smoothly in the lightest value, then add more layers as it gets darker and darker shrinking the area of the last layers. Color your way to relaxation and make beautiful art.

That post is 2 years old

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 02:32:20 PM »

fuck it. just fuck it. just fuck it up

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 02:33:04 PM »

god i'm laughing intensely at the total non-sequitur bump from what i can only assume is an incredible bot

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 02:35:54 PM »

I remember that bug-thing  Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic