Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:16:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Bonesaw Hills [DONE]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Bonesaw Hills [DONE]  (Read 22931 times)
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2009, 02:26:04 AM »

I'm pretty sure you can transfer resources like rooms if you use File>Merge Game. That just bungs all the resources together. So what you would have to do is get the version with the new room and delete all its elements except for those that are new in that build. It might still have problems but it would be better than re-tiling by hand, right?

That would be pretty cool if it works. Then we could make new stages faster and take a bit off of Brain Soups workload.  Gentleman

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2009, 01:58:32 PM »

I'm mostly done with this. I've just got a problem with the bombs. When attacked, they're very difficult to actually hit anything with, since they tend fly over the other character's head.

They probably need a major overhaul.

Suggestions?

ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2009, 02:07:31 PM »

Make them roll when hit rather than go flying, perhaps? Or change the blast radius and time before detonation?

I'd have to play the stage to make any worthwhile suggestion.

Currently brainstorming for a project
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2009, 02:20:17 PM »

It's also very difficult to predict when the cannons are about to fire, since the level is huge and the cannons are usually off-screen.

I'm considering removing them entirely.

ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2009, 02:52:50 PM »

Didn't Melee handle offscreen hazards by simply making the camera zoom-out to include them as they were about to, well, become hazardous to players?

It might be too much trouble, though, so maybe removing them is a better deal...

Currently brainstorming for a project
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2009, 03:20:26 PM »

I tried that, but since the stage is so big, and the cannons are so close to the edges of the stage, it's really jarring.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »

Why not make a flashing [HAZARDOUS] arrow pointing to where the hazard is off screen, and (optionally)in the arrow, a picture of the hazard?
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2009, 03:37:11 PM »

Why not make a flashing [HAZARDOUS] arrow pointing to where the hazard is off screen, and (optionally)in the arrow, a picture of the hazard?
This.

Combined with a sound indication that cannons will soon be fired.

Seriously, a "Cannon charging" sound would make this very clear once you know where the cannons are.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2009, 03:42:04 PM »

Either way, that's not the major problem. The fact that it's nearly impossible to aim the bombs when striking them makes them pretty much pointless.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2009, 03:44:15 PM »

Either way, that's not the major problem. The fact that it's nearly impossible to aim the bombs when striking them makes them pretty much pointless.
Maybe they can be changed to items that can be picked up and thrown, but still blow up after a certain period of time!?  Shrug
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2009, 05:05:46 PM »

Maybe they can be changed to items that can be picked up and thrown, but still blow up after a certain period of time!?  Shrug

This!  Wink

That's a good idea!
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2009, 05:12:20 PM »

This!  Wink

That's a good idea!

Like the one pokemon in Super Smash Bros!

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2009, 05:54:06 PM »

It's certainly a good suggestion. I'll try it out.  Smiley

eerr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2009, 02:13:58 PM »

who says you actually have to hit anything?

maybe the bomb striking the ground deals itself damage, creating a nice bounce pattern.
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2009, 12:37:39 AM »

Or, why not just make the cannons shoot when they're on-screen? It's easier, and it makes sense...

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2009, 07:09:15 PM »

For hitting the bombs, I was saying it more for getting it away from you, than for hitting others with it. Maybe you could make fly in a predefined arc, so it would be easy to aim. Or you could make it so after it's hit, it blows up the next time it hits something, but make it not blow up when hit by another move, so its jugglible. (and doesn't blow up instantly from multiple hit attacks, and the timer would still be there, so no bomb ping-pong, unfortunately.)
Is jugglible even a word?
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2009, 07:27:52 PM »

It is now! Jugglible, juggleible, jugglable, juggleable. Whatever.

I'm not sure what you mean though.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2009, 07:30:07 PM »

It would usually easier just to jump away from the bomb than to attack it. With a few exceptions (Turner), attacks don't usually have both good reach and knockback.

A predefined arc doesn't look good if you attack it from an odd angle.

Sadly, without a quick, long-ranged, high-horizontal-knockback move, bomb ping-pong isn't really possible. Liero's fan is the only move that falls into this category so far (and it's also the only move that already works on the bombs).

A large part of the problem with making the bombs hittable, is that it would take a lot of work to get it to feel right. And since there aren't any other hittable items currently planned (besides some destructible terrain), I'm not sure if it's worth it.  Shrug

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2009, 07:32:35 PM »

destructible terrain

Kiss

But uhh... yeah, predefined arc = cheap-looking. Sorry moe!
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2009, 07:58:36 PM »

Also, I know I've practically lost the argument, but in Bonesaw, the bombs were hard extremely to control, that was they're major selling point!*
*selling may or may not mean annoying.
And on a more serious tone, with all the shrapnel, just hitting it so it explodes in there general area still makes it damaging, or at least annoying to them. (Slowing them down, not actually frustrating to them)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic