Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 05:27:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Bonesaw Hills [DONE]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Bonesaw Hills [DONE]  (Read 22933 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2009, 08:01:12 PM »

I'm not really arguing with you- I'm mostly just trying to rationalize things to myself.  Tongue

Hittable bombs are harder to get right than I thought, so I'm trying to find other alternatives.

And speaking of shrapnel, any artists want to whip up a quick sprite for it. My placeholders aren't too attractive.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2009, 10:07:50 PM »

Use normal character hitting but with lower friction. This will make it a bit bouncier (or at least seem bouncier) and make the arc more realistic.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2009, 09:16:41 AM »

Use normal character hitting but with lower friction. This will make it a bit bouncier (or at least seem bouncier) and make the arc more realistic.
Adjusting the bounciness is easy- there's a variable for it. And the characters already fly in realistic, parabolic arcs- they just stop after a certain amount of time so the player can retake control.

Nah, the timer should stop after it's hit, making it explode on terrain contact only. That would create some really frantic situations when players juggle a bomb between them for several seconds
This creates problems for attacks that have downwards knockback, or low knockback, which just cause the bombs to explode.

And as appealing as the bomb juggle may be, it really doesn't work. It would require two characters to have an attack with the same knockback (in other words, the same attack), and be in the perfect positions. This is a situation that never comes up- the bomb usually just ends up flying over someone's head.

Also I think the predefined arc is a good idea.
It looks really, really bad with some attacks. For example, think about how it would look if hit with Nikujin's head stab, Naija's flipper sweep, GK's returning stick boomerang, or Turner's falling kick.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2009, 03:50:49 PM »

Adjusting the bounciness is easy- there's a variable for it. And the characters already fly in realistic, parabolic arcs- they just stop after a certain amount of time so the player can retake control.
Didn't realize that. Embarrassed In that case just use the default arcs, and don't make them stop.
Nah, the timer should stop after it's hit, making it explode on terrain contact only. That would create some really frantic situations when players juggle a bomb between them for several seconds
This creates problems for attacks that have downwards knockback, or low knockback, which just cause the bombs to explode.

And as appealing as the bomb juggle may be, it really doesn't work. It would require two characters to have an attack with the same knockback (in other words, the same attack), and be in the perfect positions. This is a situation that never comes up- the bomb usually just ends up flying over someone's head.
1. You could add a short timer before it can be blown up from walls. That way characters with downward attacks could bounce it off the ground.
2. With the small bombs coming off it giving it a large blast radius, players will actively try to hit the bomb away from them. Maybe you could slow down the bombs to make it easier to hit.
Also I think the predefined arc is a good idea.
It looks really, really bad with some attacks. For example, think about how it would look if hit with Nikujin's head stab, Naija's flipper sweep, GK's returning stick boomerang, or Turner's falling kick.
See first answer
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2009, 12:08:58 AM »

I agree with what others have said about the first version of this stage: The bombs should fire much less frequently, and the stage should be smaller. If I was a new player who didn't know what Bonesaw was, I would probably assume from this stage that it is a game about a tiny hero in a giant world, like Pikmin.

I think in general the stages are being designed too large. There is a feeling that bigger stages automatically make the gameplay more 'epic' when in fact I think the opposite is true. I think stages should not be much larger than Outer Wall, unless there is a really good reason for it.

The really big levels in SSBB, like New Pork City and 75m, were the ones I liked the least. They just seemed really cluttered and unnecessary.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2009, 08:42:59 AM »

I think that the window size (512x384) is actually a pretty good size for stages. A few can afford to be a little larger (like 640x480), but yeah, stages don't need to be all that big.

Before I added the camera, stages were limited in size to 640x480, which is normally all the space you need.

Also agree with the bombs. Will release another version soon which rebalances Iji and the cannons.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2009, 06:06:50 PM »

I like the stage. But it will need a few changes.

I will move the platforms higher, making it more difficult to fall off the bottom of the screen, but easier to fall of the top.

The level in general will be a bit smaller.

Would anyone strongly object to removing the walls? This would mean removing the cannons as well, but they're a fairly minor stage hazard. The walls make it too difficult to knock enemies off the stage, unless you have a good spike.

shig
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2009, 03:46:17 AM »

I don't know about the walls. You should leave 2 versions of the same map on the next build. One with walls, one without.

The level in general will be a bit smaller.

Hell yeah.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2009, 04:10:48 AM »

I don't mind removing the walls, but I think you should keep the cannons. They add a nice touch of authenticity because everyone remembers the cannons in Bonesaw, whereas the bomb blocks on their own could just as easily be from Kirby. Also, the bombs from the cannons hitting the bomb blocks makes the stage even more dynamic.

You could either just leave the cannons where they are with a small amount of wall beneath them, or you could set them a small way into the background and make it so that players can pass in front of them.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2009, 06:48:09 AM »

You could either just leave the cannons where they are with a small amount of wall beneath them, or you could set them a small way into the background and make it so that players can pass in front of them.
Yeah, that's true. That's probably what I'll end up doing.

thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2010, 07:08:11 PM »

WIP. Feel free to edit if you want.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 08:16:58 PM by Goodbye » Logged
Dailyman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2010, 07:05:01 PM »

tiny fix on the bottom right block