Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:27:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUPDATED 10/30/2018! A survival horror game inspired of older turn-based RPGs!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: UPDATED 10/30/2018! A survival horror game inspired of older turn-based RPGs!  (Read 28458 times)
i.i
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2015, 05:36:30 PM »

Oh my god frankie. You've really made some incredible progress on this. The combat system you had in this game was incredible. I can't wait to play the new version.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2015, 08:43:19 PM »

A big inspiration is the game Sweet Home for the famicom,

Shocked I was going ask about Sweet Home since I got reminded of it almost instantly. My absolute favorite NES RPG. Smiley I'll try out your game soon enough.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2015, 05:30:07 PM »

The game keeps on freezing when I try to clear all of the rats out of the basement. Also, something basement is lit and ratless when I come down there and the battle music has stopped playing.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2015, 08:12:53 PM »

Hey, thanks for trying it out!
The softlock in battles was fixed, it was an issue with the enemy select flash effect, it didnt dispose of the effect properly.
The rats being out of the basement is a glitch from how I needed to manually deactivate enemies during dialogue and room transitions back then, to prevent random battles from triggering while you examine an object, etc. Since I handled that enemy activation/deactivation manually for every single dialogue and event, it was pretty easy to mess up and forget to re-activate in one or two events. Now I made this be automatic, enemies all freeze whenever any dialogue is displayed at all or during any room transition, removing a lot of possible errors.

There's a few other glitches and problems you can encounter in that old build, like a crash somewhere and some rooms with missing transitions. Its more than a year old now, getting less and less relevant!

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2015, 08:28:30 PM »

You mean it's fixed in the unreleased build of the game?

Also, I easily opened the jail cell next to Huh? despite it saying that it also needed the jail key. I'm not sure if that's a glitch or not. And there was a guy who I couldn't talk to no matter who I played as in the party. His house is a cross the street from the couple's house/on the same block as the rat infested basement house. I'm not sure if you just didn't give him dialogue yet or what.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2015, 10:40:35 PM »

• Added hunger. Your energy (Mana/magic/ability fuel) goes down over time by one point. its very slow, but faster when you walk, and much faster when you run. (enough that running wastes about 2x more food for the same distance traveled)
    Once you run out of energy, your health starts to go down instead, by 2% of your CURRENT health, rounded. The drain slows down and eventually stops when you have 25 life left, so hunger can't kill you on its own, just weakens you a lot. Also, it means characters with a high max health get much more damage from hunger. Big warriors need more food.
Not a big fan of this, to put it lightly.  Shrug

• Made it so you can switch weapons during battle. Was a bit tricky, had to figure out how RPG Maker VX's battle code works under the hood. A lot of hunting down functions and experimenting to get that right. Theres still some bits im not sure I understand...
YES!  Shocked YEESSS! WTFKiss I was thinking that that's what the demo needed. Also, I love your monsters and how different they are from the demo monsters

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2015, 03:11:00 PM »

Awww man. I had no idea you were working on an RPG. I loved your pixel art in your entry for the Action 52 Remake. Your monsters outstanding and just so wonderfully demented. I love that
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2015, 09:20:45 PM »

Yeah I only made one release of the game a while back, because I wanted to enter it in a jam competition. I didn't make public builds again since, so its why the one playable build is pretty old and full of bugs that have been fixed since.

The jail cell thing, not sure If I heard of that one before. If its a bug, it might still be there, I'll look into it.
The guy who you cant talk to, yeah. I plopped him down in that map in the last like 2 hours of the competition, as I was doing other stuff, and never went back to him to give him dialogue. I think he is still without dialogue in the latest version too, just forgotten and freaking out silently in that lonely little house...

• Added hunger.
Not a big fan of this, to put it lightly.  Shrug

I feel its an important part of the game's system in medium and long term. It kind of forces you to explore buildings more and it adds a little bit of time pressure to the game, although its mostly psychological. It also means your most reliable means of healing yourself depletes over time and you constantly need to find more, even if you avoid tend to battles.

The hunger doesn't build up fast enough to really be a short term problem, and you typically get rid of it just through normal after-battle healing if you play the game normally. But it also makes for a good setup for resource problems.
For instance, a long dungeon-like sequence is likely to drain your resources, and then cheap food items can become circumstantially very valuable, even when the player has other usually "more valuable" ways of healing like potions and magic items available. A player low on health might end up drinking a healing potion instead of eating the last of their food to heal up if they're not very hungry yet, something they would never do otherwise. That's a kind of decision-making I like to see.

Awww man. I had no idea you were working on an RPG. I loved your pixel art in your entry for the Action 52 Remake. Your monsters outstanding and just so wonderfully demented. I love that
Thanks! Hopefully I finish that Action 52 remake thing someday...

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2015, 12:47:45 PM »

The jail cell thing, not sure If I heard of that one before. If its a bug, it might still be there, I'll look into it.
The guy who you cant talk to, yeah. I plopped him down in that map in the last like 2 hours of the competition, as I was doing other stuff, and never went back to him to give him dialogue. I think he is still without dialogue in the latest version too, just forgotten and freaking out silently in that lonely little house...
I say give him dialogue that can only be unlocked after doing ridiculous special conditions. Go full JRPG on him. lol

Yes, iirc, the door says it's locked a then it thinks just another press or two of the action button to get through.

• Added hunger.
Not a big fan of this, to put it lightly.  Shrug

I feel its an important part of the game's system in medium and long term. It kind of forces you to explore buildings more and it adds a little bit of time pressure to the game, although its mostly psychological. It also means your most reliable means of healing yourself depletes over time and you constantly need to find more, even if you avoid tend to battles.

The hunger doesn't build up fast enough to really be a short term problem, and you typically get rid of it just through normal after-battle healing if you play the game normally. But it also makes for a good setup for resource problems.
For instance, a long dungeon-like sequence is likely to drain your resources, and then cheap food items can become circumstantially very valuable, even when the player has other usually "more valuable" ways of healing like potions and magic items available. A player low on health might end up drinking a healing potion instead of eating the last of their food to heal up if they're not very hungry yet, something they would never do otherwise. That's a kind of decision-making I like to see.
I see. I can't wait to see how it works out.

I actually beat the demo early this morning. I had to constantly reset but my plan of clearing all enemies in the way and then repeatedly going back to save eventually worked. I just went straight up and didn't go left or right in the last dungeon so I'll do that later.

Honestly, I'm a bit obsessed with this game. Shrug Sweet Home is probably my 3rd favorite NES and probably in my top 3 for RPGs. And it's not just that influence, I also just plan love how Trapped plays.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2015, 10:40:49 PM »

Thanks! Hopefully I finish that Action 52 remake thing someday...

No worries, I couldn't even finish drunk posting.

I'm serious though, "Your monsters outstanding." :I
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2015, 01:34:53 AM »

yeah so that monster design is genuinely amazing. Need to be keeping my eye on this!

Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2015, 05:59:31 AM »

The sprite work is incredible. Following so I remember to try out the demo build when I have the time.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2015, 12:36:23 PM »

Some more monsters Ive been making:
More weirdo monsters:

Ghosts:

Vegetable garden monster:

You can watch some annotated time lapse of those being drawn here:

Working on some level design at the moment, finishing up a mansion area.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2015, 02:08:44 PM »

They look beautifully disgusting.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2015, 04:02:45 PM »

A few more monsters:

These last two ones attack you if you stay too long in some creepy dark places. You can buy extra time using light sources, but you are never completely safe. Made a bunch more of those, will be putting up some of them in the coming weeks.

Been working on some level design and on the game's death mechanic. Will give more details later.

New time lapse videos added too:

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2015, 02:17:58 AM »

Beautiful monster designs, as always.

These last two ones attack you if you stay too long in some creepy dark places. You can buy extra time using light sources, but you are never completely safe.
  Shocked I'm getting scared just thinking about it.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2015, 05:07:42 PM »

Streaming some work on this right now. Gonna be making a side-dungeon tonight, a creepy basement.
http://www.twitch.tv/frankiepixelshow
Goina be full o cockroaches.

FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2015, 06:35:15 AM »

Turns out I was pretty tired yesterday and only streamed for like two hours, I should do a lot more work on this today.
Gonna start the stream pretty soon, should be streaming for most of the day today.
Its still going to be mostly level design. Still working on that creepy basement.

FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2015, 03:32:36 PM »

Resuming my stream again after a lil break, been working on the cockroach dungeon. Gonna be drawing more mutant roaches.

sodap
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2015, 03:49:19 PM »

The art direction is pretty unique. Sure, it's pixelart, but it's really original work, and by original I mean that it's not derivative work, it shows personality.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic