Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:59:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTREASURE STAR
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: TREASURE STAR  (Read 16488 times)
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 06:48:33 AM »

This looks really wonderful and I hugely appreciate the use of large ascii text to get readable headers in the minimap sublime uses! What are you building the game in?

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 08:55:48 AM »

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it :D!

Sketch of one of those initial characters. Tons of problems that i'll have to fix when it isn't 3 am.

tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 09:44:10 AM »

here is a little explanation image while I'm working on backend.

Is this your concept art or someone else's?  Is the game's art yours or someone else's?  I ask because there's a clear difference in quality, it looks like two different people made each. 

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 11:01:14 AM »

This looks like it could be really really interesting and cool. Nice work on it so far - sounds like quite the idea!

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 03:31:36 PM »

Is this your concept art or someone else's?  Is the game's art yours or someone else's?  I ask because there's a clear difference in quality, it looks like two different people made each. 

Nope it's all me.

I think you underestimate a mans laziness sometimes.

Thanks SolarLune!

tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 04:06:57 PM »

Wow, pretty cool that you have that range.  I think I could draw that concept art, but I can't draw your in game graphics (yet?).

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 04:44:36 PM »

Oh right i thought you were referring to the shitty gameplay example image. That you are referring to the illustration vs the pixelart makes more sense.

Technically that concept art piece is far more complex to draw than the in game art. It seems weird to me that you are implying that the in game art is better than that concept image i drew  Huh?.
Everything in-game is optimized around being fast to draw. 2 shade lighting, no dithering and no outlines as pixel art outlines are the time consuming part.

But when you drop out lines suddenly that productivity boost is offset by having to be super aware of what colours and values you use as things will blend together if you are not careful.

lai-studioguts
Level 0

Hello. Kobo would like to be your friend.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 06:22:55 PM »

here is a little explanation image while I'm working on backend.

The concept art is also a work in progress, I'm understanding? I think the shape on her jacket is outstanding, and I'm going to assume that the roughness elsewhere are just works in progress.

Being a good artist with concept work informs the improvement in sprite work and vice versa, but sprite work and concept art work also showcase different skills and talents of an artist! I would say that our artist has the opposite problem, where he's very comfortable with concept art and sketches, but when working with sprites--it's still taking a lot of practice making them look nice.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 06:27:45 PM »

Something about that character's design- specifically the face- is really nostalgic to me, I like it!

tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 06:31:57 PM »

Oh right i thought you were referring to the shitty gameplay example image. That you are referring to the illustration vs the pixelart makes more sense.

I'm still not sure we're talking about the same thing Smiley  I'm referring to the doodle that looks like it's drawn on paper.  

EDIT: I'm just saying it's very interesting to me that you doodle like I doodle, yet your artwork is 1000x better. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:09:13 PM by tieTYT » Logged

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 11:17:22 PM »

Haha thanks!

Tie! Ah right i get you now. Thanks Smiley. I can doodle at a higher quality but i think i just wanted to make it look like a quick white board drawing.

Lai, yeah I hear you there, sprites are a very specific skill set, and even a lot of traditional animation knoledge doesn't pass across, as most of what we do with sprites is snap instantly between poses, and extremes without smooth inbetweens.

Mostly finished here:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 02:49:29 AM by Muzz » Logged

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2014, 12:04:49 AM »

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 12:59:51 AM by Muzz » Logged

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 06:45:41 AM »

Hey guys.

Im going to be starting hopefully what will be daily art streams.

Pop in and check it out, feel free to ask me about anything to do with art, making games, spriting. general internet drama. (well except THAT drama... that's off limits.)

I should be live for hopefully 4-5 hrs

http://www.hitbox.tv/muzz

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 08:05:14 AM »

Those facial animations are wonderful!

dez
Level 1

^_^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 08:34:08 AM »

LOVE the style.  I will be watching this.
How deep of a game are you thinking of making this? 
I mean as in this is just a quick fun thing,  or is this game a metaphor or does it have a particular meaning?

I'm developing OBEY - Steam | Devlog | Twitter | Facebook
Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 08:49:02 AM »

Thanks guys!

Dez, this game will hopefully end up pretty deep, i've got a lot of ideas about how to both make this a funny and meaningful experience. It is just a matter of feature creep with how it goes.

This is what i've done so far on the stream.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 08:54:40 AM »

These explosion animations are sweet!

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2014, 10:54:24 AM »

Ok here are the final results of the stream.

Im tired and clocking out. Smiley.

Happy with how the stream went. Basically i just talked a lot about animation techniques and how to make your explosion effects feel nice and snappy, while listening to some good tunes.

Scylla
Level 0

Providing you with simple, polished, and fun games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2014, 11:08:59 AM »

This is looking pretty good! Awesome stuff!

Please vote for us on Steam Greenlight!

Every vote counts!
Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2014, 10:05:55 PM »

Thanks man!

Im live streaming again. Should be for another 5 hours or so. Going to be doing some character animation.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic