Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:56:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDeath's Gambit -- (Releases August 14th on PS4 and Steam)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Death's Gambit -- (Releases August 14th on PS4 and Steam)  (Read 45900 times)
somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2014, 05:25:30 PM »

UPDATE - ENDURANCE

In Death's Gambit, management of your green "endurance" meter is key to surviving enemy encounters. Attacking, blocking, and dodging all take up endurance.

We want our combat to feel fair, but also require a lot of moment to moment decision making:
  • Dodging takes up the most endurance.
  • Blocking takes up endurance equivalent to how much damage the attack would deal.
  • While blocking, if an attack consumes more endurance than you have left, you take the remaining damage and are momentarily stunned.
  • You can increase the amount of endurance you have via gear and leveling up.
  • The endurance meter takes about half a second to regenerate. If you recently dodge-roll, it takes 1.5 seconds.
  • If you have more than 1 endurance, you can block/dodge/attack and it will consume endurance back to 0.
  • Jumps take a small amount of endurance, but you can still jump even at 0 endurance.

This is all subject to change, but we feel this system allows for very interesting combat. So far it seems that putting the player in situations where he can't escape lead to the most rewarding combat scenarios. Kiting bosses or enemies probably won't be a particularly viable strategy in Death's Gambit.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 05:31:41 PM by somn » Logged

Dr. LudoS
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2014, 05:50:03 PM »

This enemy knight looks amazing, I especially love the sword slash anim!

The endurance bar seems nice in your description and screenshot, but isn't the idea of limiting the player capacity to move (dodging/jumping) a bit frustrating in a game where the avatar seems to be able to move so smoothly?

The One Fork Restaurant DX : DevLog - Play current beta version
somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2014, 02:17:40 PM »

This enemy knight looks amazing, I especially love the sword slash anim!

The endurance bar seems nice in your description and screenshot, but isn't the idea of limiting the player capacity to move (dodging/jumping) a bit frustrating in a game where the avatar seems to be able to move so smoothly?

Very true and this design is not final. If we see that testers complain about it feeling restrictive then we will definitely change it/remove it. Dodging and blocking need some restrictions though else the game becomes very simple and mindless. Currently attacking feels the most restrictive and players sometimes forget to look at their endurance bar while attacking which is not good.

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2014, 05:47:24 PM »

Happy holidays everyone!
Friend of ours drew this up real quick.
http://kaisinel.tumblr.com/ She has been making our poster so I wanted to give her a quick shout out.

UPDATE - HEALING

Last week we posted our healing animation on twitter and felt it was important to post it here.
In Death's Gambit you have a set amount of healing items that are regenerated at save points. You start with a few maximum uses and gain more later on.

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2015, 05:05:33 PM »

UPDATE - New animations + big news coming soon!
Very big news coming soon. To prepare we are going to start posting a bit more often! Here are some of the gifs we posted on our devlog this week.

(Hollowed Knight enemy that appears in Aldwynn, these are still WIP)

This is what the first part of our Aldwynn level looked like a while ago. This is essentially a skeleton of the area showing what the player can collide with. Not really related, just thought it'd be neat to show it once in comparison to the real thing when it's revelead.

^^^ Us messing with one of the scenes in our trailer.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:52:47 PM by somn » Logged

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2015, 07:08:00 PM »

Usually when I see devs say "big news", it means they found a publisher. I'll ask anyway: do you still have plans for a Kickstarter? I remember you mentioned that was a possibility last year

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2015, 12:29:17 AM »

Yep publisher or kickstarter, but I vote for the publisher! Smiley

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2015, 07:14:15 PM »

Usually when I see devs say "big news", it means they found a publisher. I'll ask anyway: do you still have plans for a Kickstarter? I remember you mentioned that was a possibility last year

I like to think we have bigger news than that. Smiley Kickstarter may still happen.

xfry
Level 0

JavaScripter, C# Developer, The world is realy 2D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2015, 07:16:34 PM »

This game look incredible Hand Money Left

Success is not the end of your goals ... Be the beginning of your triumph
bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2015, 07:21:11 PM »

This looks like it has the combat system I wished Symphony of the Night would have.

Also: <3 <3 <3

PRDXCL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2015, 02:10:17 AM »

LOOKS SICK
somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2015, 07:49:20 PM »

Woohoo thanks guys =D , very motivating whenever I see positive comments.

This looks like it has the combat system I wished Symphony of the Night would have.

Castlevania is definitely an influence. The combat has been evolving to something more Dark Souls-esque. Last thing we have been working on is a new "heavy-weapon" style.

Initially we had light/heavy attacks depending on the melee weapon. So you could potentially have two heavy melee attacks or two light attacks. This would makes combing move-sets between two different weapons possible. Now we are thinking of giving all weapons a heavy attack on top of the ability to switch between weapons on the fly.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 08:10:07 PM by somn » Logged

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2015, 10:58:58 PM »

I like the endurance idea, pretty sure you can make some interesting challenges with that. but as you mentioned it can be confusing for players: maybe the actions could get weeker when endurance is very low? or generally have the endurance influence the speed/power of an action. e.g. low endurance, only a weak hit can be made.

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2015, 12:52:11 PM »

I like the endurance idea, pretty sure you can make some interesting challenges with that. but as you mentioned it can be confusing for players: maybe the actions could get weeker when endurance is very low? or generally have the endurance influence the speed/power of an action. e.g. low endurance, only a weak hit can be made.

That's a very unique idea which I hadn't thought of. Though it seems like gauging the time when you should attack could get very confusing. Currently if you run out of stamina due to an enemy attack while you are blocking then you get "staggered" which does punish you for using up a lot of endurance.

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2015, 03:24:20 PM »

The Hallowed Knights of Anguis are doomed to guard the abandoned city for all eternity.

The Aldwynn level is our first full vertical slice and we wanted to have a lot of very different types of enemies so that we can see what works and what doesn't. This does not represent all of the enemies in the Aldwynn level.

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2015, 03:58:36 PM »

UPDATE - TRAILER COMING SOON!

Here is a quick teaser of the trailer coming this month!

autumnspark
Level 0

hnnngh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2015, 04:39:45 PM »

Monster bondage? Hell yes. The skeleton there definitely gives the environment an interesting vibe, maybe akin to "What in the royal fuck is going on down here?"

ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2015, 05:01:39 AM »

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I find it a little odd that the main character seems a lot stiffer than the enemies.  Like when he's standing still he looks like a straight line whereas even the enemies' idle poses are a lot more fluid and dynamic.  What gives?

Otherwise it looks beautiful!

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2015, 03:53:09 PM »

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I find it a little odd that the main character seems a lot stiffer than the enemies.  Like when he's standing still he looks like a straight line whereas even the enemies' idle poses are a lot more fluid and dynamic.  What gives?

Otherwise it looks beautiful!

Thanks for the feedback! Relayed this to the rest of the team. Yes we totally agree >_<. It's been quite the struggle getting the main character stuff right. It will be improving for sure.

TheChaoticGood
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: February 03, 2015, 10:11:36 PM »

But can I play this game with my power glove?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic