Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:09:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSmokin' Guns is out - Time for some Wild West action!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Smokin' Guns is out - Time for some Wild West action!  (Read 19847 times)
dc2005
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 01:40:06 PM »

related video, have you seen Bob Munden?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 01:47:02 PM by dc2005 » Logged

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 01:46:20 PM »

keyser, add my to your msn or see if im in tigirc and i'll play with you

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 02:44:39 PM »

I have yet to play this game with real people...

I connect to a server that said it had 8-12 players and its either all bots (who just run into walls) or won't connect.
Check the "server info" in the server browser before you connect. Most servers have bots enabled, which get kicked one by one the more players join. When I've played in the past days there were always at least 2 servers with only players on them Smiley Especially today there were like 12 or 14 players on the server I was on.

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Pardner
Level 0

Alt+F4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 09:28:51 PM »

Pardner, if you ever look at this, would you mind getting someone to write up a _proper_ tutorial to get up and started with mapping for SG? The one there ends up with borked textures and crap.
I saw that Hideous has posted onb our forums and was able to solve the problems. Just to point out here, this was a mod for Quake3 for years and all of our old tutorials were for that mod version. ReD_NeCKersoN has started making new tutorials for the new version :D

GreatFox
Level 0

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 12:11:55 AM »

When I've played in the past days there were always at least 2 servers with only players on them Smiley Especially today there were like 12 or 14 players on the server I was on.

I remember you handin' me some lead n' gunpowder.

This game needs more weapons and maps. Also, better models and textures for graphic snobs.
Counter-Strike AWP-haters beware, Sharp Rifle with Scope is almost same.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 04:51:05 AM »

Except that it's slower to reload and more balanced. Although it's fun to shoot someone so that they die, then reading the message "You shot Renton in the groin.".

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 07:05:57 AM »

One of the most awesome things that happened to me:

I was playing with a friend, taking turns. He buys this shotgun, kills a couple of dudes and is promptly owned.
I respawn near to where he was killed, and on my way there on the "Quest for the Shotgun" I pick another revolver. The shotgun isn't where he died, so I start looking for the guy who killed him.
I enter an adjacent room, immediatly turn to the side and see a guy looking/aiming at me. Two revolver shots and the guy is dead before he could even fire.
I grab the shotgun.

I walk near a window and get killed by a sniper.
Pardner
Level 0

Alt+F4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009, 07:39:42 AM »

This game needs more weapons and maps. Also, better models and textures for graphic snobs.
Maps are definitely in the making! Joe Kari, Coup George, EvilFutsin, and Leon have done some work on updating the textures. I wouldn't be suprised to see them continue their work. Unfortunately, smokin' guns does not have a modeler. Joe Kari and Coup George have added quality models to their map (see Alamo) but they have not attempted to make new weapon models and/or player models.

Counter-Strike AWP-haters beware, Sharp Rifle with Scope is almost same.
I guarantee that 95% of the time, I can out sniper a shaprs with just my two peacemakers  Apoplectic

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009, 08:14:44 AM »

Hey, my new map is almost done! Although it's very small, so Smiley

Pardner, I'm gonna try to convince my modeling friend to help you out.

GreatFox
Level 0

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 09:06:43 AM »

Unfortunately, smokin' guns does not have a modeler. Joe Kari and Coup George have added quality models to their map (see Alamo) but they have not attempted to make new weapon models and/or player models.
Fortunately, I am not graphics snob but 'better' graphics would appeal more to newer generation gamers. Personally I like retro-ish graphics more (I still play Quake).
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 09:13:31 AM »

this game needs to stay simple and low res. i'll cry if you guys try and next gen it. im having so much fun with it now. renton and i have devised a plan for a map and i'll hopefully get started on it soon. ive also always been interested in getting into modeling, so i hope to be able to help out with that in a less soon soon.

screw the new wave of glutenous gamers

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 09:34:52 AM »

Woah, sounds pretty cool what you guys are up to. Guess I'm not used to being on forums where the majority is actually skilled in doing instead of only playing Beer!

I'm also unsure if SG would really benefit from better weapon models. At least I like the weapons' "feeling" alot and wouldn't like to see that changed. It's one of the reasons why I like SG so much. I see Call of Juarez being hailed by many as a great shooter and I have only played the demo, but the feeling of the guns was what I disliked about it throughout the whole time I was playing it. They look too small and weak, they are positioned too low, so you don't really see much of them, they don't sound very powerful, and some more. If I remember correctly there isn't even a proper reloading animation for the revolvers. How can you have revolvers in a game and then not add a very visible reloading animation?
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I love revolvers in video games for their whole style, but it takes a lot to really get it right. And I think that is pretty much ideal in SG and shouldn't be messed with, unless you're very, very, totally careful Smiley Of course, a new model alone likely wouldn't change that, but I still don't see that as a priority.

I'd say, if you want to go with better graphics, the maps would have to look more modern. I think mainly ground textures and some others could be of a higher resolution, although I have no idea about engine limitations.

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 10:53:30 AM »

I think the weapon models are great, but the characters are butt-ugly.

Also, look what I dun made!

Jolli
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 10:59:58 AM »

going to try thi s thing Crazy
GreatFox
Level 0

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 01:01:30 PM »

this game needs to stay simple and low res. i'll cry if you guys try and next gen it.

screw the new wave of glutenous gamers

Screw more people? Servers are kinda deserted now.
Now dont get me wrong, I like the current style. I like old games. I like western theme. I just want more people to acually play it. I've been promoting Smokin' Guns to majority of my friends and so far only 2 have actually tried it (they are still playing).

Right now I am pretty sure that most people will choose Fistful of Frags because it has larger textures and better polycount and I think its sad. Too many people choose graphics over gameplay.

Text above might be confusing and look like silly.
But since no-one agrees, I stop pushing my suggestions and be quiet.
Jolli
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 01:10:29 PM »

I don't see a problem with a graphics update? as long as it's optional(cus i wont be able to play) it's all fine.

Renton
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2009, 01:16:02 PM »

I don't see a problem with a graphics update? as long as it's optional(cus i wont be able to play) it's all fine.
Good idea. Like that High-def model pack for HL1. Better but optional.
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2009, 01:23:15 PM »

this game is fun

hideous cheats

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW