Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 07:38:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAEGIS DEFENDERS - 16-bit Miyazaki-inspired Tactical Metroidvania
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: AEGIS DEFENDERS - 16-bit Miyazaki-inspired Tactical Metroidvania  (Read 12001 times)
ucupumar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2014, 01:38:16 PM »

It was just too beautiful...  Addicted
I really love running with birds scene. It feels very 'Miyazaki'.  Addicted

lai-studioguts
Level 0

Hello. Kobo would like to be your friend.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2014, 04:22:35 PM »

It was just too beautiful...  Addicted
I really love running with birds scene. It feels very 'Miyazaki'.  Addicted

Thanks! If any of those locations were real places, I'd go there first.

VIDEO #3
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SLVRDLLR PLAYS OUR DEMO!
We love you SLVRDLLR!

UPDATE #6

Our engineer Li-Fu, added a leaderboard for INSANE MODE! If you'd like to try our demo, please PM me.

Those who beat insane mode will be on the leaderboard!

Also, our in-game engineer, Bart, now has a passive where he repairs all your structures when you switch to other characters.

Repair that block, Grandpa! THE HORDES ARE COMING
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:33:39 PM by lai-studioguts » Logged

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2014, 04:23:05 PM »

I showed this to my girlfriend last night and she said "I'd play this game". She doesn't like any games. Good job, good job.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
lai-studioguts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2014, 04:31:49 PM »

I showed this to my girlfriend last night and she said "I'd play this game". She doesn't like any games. Good job, good job.

Aw yay! Thanks, it means a lot!
If we reach our stretch goal for Local Co-op on Kickstarter you two can play it together! Wink

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2014, 04:33:07 PM »

I'll make sure I throw a few bucks your way! Good luck with the kickstarter.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2014, 06:37:24 PM »

This is pretty damn awesome! The environments look great, and the gameplay sounds interesting; I'm quite fond of having multiple controllable characters with different playstyles, as well (Though I'm a bit biased  Wink)

And those cutscenes...  Epileptic I can barely comprehend making a sprite, let alone an actual, fully animated scene.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2014, 09:16:36 PM »

woah, wow. this looks amazing! I love the art and animation, and the way the characters are designed!

Gravitaria
Level 0

Fi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2014, 10:46:54 PM »

We love the concept and the art is absolutely gorgeous!
Looking amazing guys  Smiley

MerlijnVH
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2014, 02:43:41 AM »

I love the visual style, especially when it's snowing. Characters look great, too!

lai-studioguts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2014, 09:35:05 AM »

VIDEO #4
Yay! Gigaboots plays our game!
We have a demo build that we sent out to some youtubers. If you'd like to get an idea of our game, please watch these hilarious people play the game.

Watch the video!

I'll make sure I throw a few bucks your way! Good luck with the kickstarter.
Thanks! I'm proofreading our copy right now for typos! lol

This is pretty damn awesome! The environments look great, and the gameplay sounds interesting; I'm quite fond of having multiple controllable characters with different playstyles, as well (Though I'm a bit biased  Wink)

And those cutscenes...  Epileptic I can barely comprehend making a sprite, let alone an actual, fully animated scene.

Aw thanks! Those cutscenes took a while  Screamy

woah, wow. this looks amazing! I love the art and animation, and the way the characters are designed!

Thank you so much!

We love the concept and the art is absolutely gorgeous!
Looking amazing guys  Smiley

Thanks!

I love the visual style, especially when it's snowing. Characters look great, too!

Yay so much love! Thank you everyone!

lai-studioguts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2014, 09:26:54 AM »

OUR KICKSTARTER IS LIVE! SEE OUR TRAILER HERE!

DeadAlienCult
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2014, 09:15:23 AM »

Just learned your Kickstarter was live from Rich Lemarchand's facebook post(didn't realize you were former students of his - we're friends. small world Smiley)  I just backed your game on KS!!  Can't wait to play it and best of luck to your team!

lai-studioguts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2014, 10:21:18 AM »

Just learned your Kickstarter was live from Rich Lemarchand's facebook post(didn't realize you were former students of his - we're friends. small world Smiley)  I just backed your game on KS!!  Can't wait to play it and best of luck to your team!

Wow! Richard is awesome! Thanks for supporting us!

Savick
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2014, 11:31:57 AM »

You guys just got a mention on RPS.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/31/aegis-defenders-tower-defense-platformer-kickstarter/
lai-studioguts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2014, 03:11:39 PM »

Wanted to post a few development updates here! Now that we're back in full production, its nice to get out and talk to the community again!:

INTRODUCING THE NEREIS DESERT & OUR PROCESS

We got some interesting advice from game designer & entrepreneur Jordan Weissman- Start your development in the middle of your game. That way you know where you have to ramp up to from the first level and you know what the pace is to get to the end. And so we started with our 3rd level, the Nereis Desert. You may have seen this level in the Kickstarter promo materials, where Bart was nearly eaten by one of the Desert's fiercest foes, the burrowing, ravenous Ragworm.

Our development process works like this- First, Bryce draws out the level as an expansive, huge sketch in Photoshop. This gives us time to actually "play" the level on paper, design the puzzles and make sure every part of the level is packed with unique interactions and things to find. Already this process has revealed annoying puzzles and empty stretches that we were able to tweak and remove now as opposed to wasting time building it.

Then we lay out 'grayboxes', untextured platforms, in the actual game engine to test the flow of the level. We build the whole level this way and then move on to internal playtesting. Meanwhile, Lifu programs new features- elevators, Ragworm AI, new turrets. Finally, Bryce will begin the process of creating temporary artwork to define the colors and feel of a level.

Right now, we've begun the process of grayboxing the desert and already I can't wait to play it! If you've played the demo, I think you're going to be really amazed and how much those concepts and gameplay expand over a larger space.

Cloudiest Nights
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2014, 10:37:29 PM »

Interesting idea with the starting development in the middle idea! That's one I'll definitely use for my longer story-driven games. Can't wait to see more progress made in the coming months!

lai-studioguts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2014, 03:37:39 PM »

It's been pretty quiet as we've been hunkering down to work. One of the biggest changes we've made was shifting the perspective on the ground blocks:

We also re-worked Clu's explosive trap so that it's a little more, well, explosive:

Aside from that, it's mostly greyboxing for flow. One of the unique things about our levels is that Bryce actually handpaints the levels as opposed to using tiles. This gives us a chance to really build those levels and test them for flow before we committ. Unfortunately, it also means that our development screenshots are pretty gnarly. We've been talking about getting a co-op demo ready for sometime early next year- We'll keep you updated!

Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2014, 05:00:49 PM »

Your game is here! I am so excited for this. Some of the most beautiful pixel art I've seen,  really inspiring stuff for me! Gameplay looks pretty damn unique as well. Keep it up!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left

lai-studioguts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2014, 03:20:37 PM »

Thanks, Grog! Dash and Atlas looks great- You had us at Blaster Master.

Anyway, we're hopefully moving our first level into Alpha testing next week and we'll have some cool gameplay footage!

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic