Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 09:09:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Liero [DONE]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Liero [DONE]  (Read 65821 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« on: January 06, 2009, 03:32:03 PM »

I'm going to take a break from working as heavily on the engine by programming another character. If nobody objects, I'd like to make Liero, my favorite remaining character on the roster.

Portrait: -Yama, godsavant

Sprites:
Idle- Kovski, JLJac
Walking- Kovski
Jumping- JLJac, godsavant
Hurt- Soulliard
Throwing- godsavant
Flamer- godsavant
Super Shotgun- godsavant, Kovski
Larpa- godsavent
Doomsday- Kovski, godsavant, Soulliard
Ninja Rope- godsavant, Soulliard
Chiquita Bomb- godsavant, Soulliard
Fan- JLJac, Soulliard
Spikeballs- godsavant

Statistics:
Liero is an extreme lightweight, with poor health, speed and jumping ability. He makes up for these deficiencies with extremely powerful artillery. He should be able to dominate any other character at a range, but if brought into a melee, he doesn't stand much of a chance.

Move List:
A- Flamer- The button can be held to release a constant, short-ranged stream of flame. This causes no knockback, although the damage is high.

>A- Super Shotgun- Liero fires a large spread of bullets that deal great damage at medium ranges. They cause moderate knockback. This move has a high cooldown time.

^A- Larpa- Liero fires a missile upwards at a 45 degree angle. The missile itself does moderate damage. It also rains shrapnel on those below, making it a powerful area attack. The shrapnel causes no knockback, however.

vA- Doomsday- Liero fires a pair of rockets straight forward. They deal only moderate damage, but can be fired fairly quickly, and have pretty good knockback. At long ranges, doomsday is stronger than the super shotgun.

vA(air)- Napalm- Liero lobs a bottle of napalm at a downward angle. It explodes on contact with the ground or an enemy, dealing high damage.

S- Chiquita Bomb- Liero summons a chiquita bomb in a manner similar to Naija's spike seed. Briefly after it is thrown, the bomb releases a number of bananas, each of which explodes after a set time or on impact. If the enemy does not get out of the way, it deals massive damage.

>S- Fan- Liero creates a wave of air that travels out to a medium distance. The wave causes no damage, but knocks enemies back and reflects projectiles. It can be used to move items.

^S- Ninja Rope- Liero fires a grappling hook straight upwards or at a 45 degree angle. It latches on to platforms or the edges of the stage. After latching on, Liero is quickly drawn to the point where it attached.

vS- Spikeballs- Liero lobs three spikeballs in front of him. They bounce around briefly before settling down. They explode after a second or so. If an enemy contacts a spikeball, it takes moderate damage.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 02:25:38 PM by Soulliard » Logged

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 05:21:18 PM »

Looks like a good moveset. I realise I can't really comment on it much because it's been ages since I played Liero with anything but 'Naruto' or 'Star Wars' weapon sets. :D

For the grappling thing, I think the best way would be to just give the player temporary wall-clinging abilities. It should be easy to implement and intuitive.

medieval
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 04:40:54 AM »

Is Turner already started on? I really don't like him being at the third page and I have no skills to do him honour.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 04:52:36 AM »

Yeah, someone should finish Turner before we start any more characters (after Liero, that is). If you like, I can do him after I finish Dwarf - but at the rate I'm going you might well finish Liero first.

Let's not forget that there's also Xoda and Trilby in the works. The former has most of her code implemented, the latter not so much - but we still pledged to do him and worked out the moveset, so I think he should go into the 'first 12' lineup.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 05:04:40 AM »

Movelist lookin good! Also Liero will be a cool character to sprite!

But I agree, we should kind of try to keep the priority on things that were already started - but at the rate you guys make progress with code, the art stays way behind anyway.
I wish there were some more contributors on the graphics side... or that I wouldn't need any money for living and could work full time on this  Kiss

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 07:05:10 AM »

Is Turner already started on? I really don't like him being at the third page and I have no skills to do him honour.
I'm kind of torn here. Turner is an iconic character, and I'd like to see him included soon. On the other hand, Overgrowth is coming out some time this year, which could influence how we make him.

Let's not forget that there's also Xoda and Trilby in the works. The former has most of her code implemented, the latter not so much - but we still pledged to do him and worked out the moveset, so I think he should go into the 'first 12' lineup.
I plan on working on Trilby after I finish Liero. I'll add in Xoda when Rory sends me an updated file (if he's still working on her- if not I can start adding her right away). And I'll add the Dwarf whenever you're done with him.

Part of the reason I'm 'skipping' characters is because Liero should not be too difficult to animate. He's small, and not terribly dynamic. Since the art is farthest behind right now, I figure Liero will be a fairly easy character to catch up with.

Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 11:34:32 AM »

I've had a look at the the game made in 1998(I figure this is the one?)
If so should this character be based on that or is there a new improved version.
If it is based on the 1998 version, what colour? And seeing as its not the most defined sprite some will be playful or if lucky extremely easy.

Edit:
And hi guys, been hovering through this site for about two weeks now. And I wish to help with this and future projects.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:39:23 AM by Jim » Logged
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 11:48:53 AM »

Ahoy there, Jim!
Good to have you aboard - contributors are always welcomed!
Judging from your avatar you do pixel art? We are really short on graphics for Indie Brawl, so if you're motivated don't hesitate to show us what you got!  Well, hello there!

Clemens Scott
Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 12:21:43 PM »

Yeah, me do pixel art Mr Kovski.
As for the actual character. It seems that there designed to look almost like worms? I'm guessing I'll have to turn that into legs? As of right I need a good drink and get the old pixel out.  Beer!

But more research do me, so that the force can grow strong quickly!  Noir
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 12:55:48 PM »

Looking forward to see the development of this. Liero is one of my favorite indie titles, me and my friends had much fun with it in school. My thoughts:

Skilled liero players often use the recoil of the weapons to move in the air. I think that he should have an air attack that is the same as the ordinary super shotgun, but fires straight down. This is both an attack and works as an extra double jump, trowing the worm further up. Of course it should have some cooldown time to prevent players from flying around freely (like in the actual game Wink)

Why not make the larpa vA and the doomsday ^A since it's somewhat more logical that an attack that deals damage downwards is associated with a downward input?

When playing liero you often use the hook to pull the other player towards you. Maybe you could give the hook a negative knockback to mimic this?

Also, the big nuke is a weapon that's almost a gimmick for the game. Don't know if it would fit in indie brawl though  Huh?
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 02:05:15 PM »

The standard colour of the Liero worm is a dark blue, I believe.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 02:22:38 PM »

I've had a look at the the game made in 1998(I figure this is the one?)
If so should this character be based on that or is there a new improved version.
If it is based on the 1998 version, what colour? And seeing as its not the most defined sprite some will be playful or if lucky extremely easy.
The default color is either blue or green, although you can set the color to whatever you want (I always set it to brown for camouflage). Blue or green would be best though.

Because the game is so pixelated, there's a lot of freedom in designing the character. Oracle made a some concept art you might want to look at. I imagine Liero as a fairly small character, probably a little over 30 pixels tall.

Edit:
And hi guys, been hovering through this site for about two weeks now. And I wish to help with this and future projects.
Great to have you aboard. This project needs artists pretty badly, so your work will be very much appreciated. Nice avatar, by the way. Gentleman

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 02:28:58 PM »

Looking forward to see the development of this. Liero is one of my favorite indie titles, me and my friends had much fun with it in school.
Same here. I probably played an hour of Liero every day in school for about half a year.

Skilled liero players often use the recoil of the weapons to move in the air. I think that he should have an air attack that is the same as the ordinary super shotgun, but fires straight down. This is both an attack and works as an extra double jump, trowing the worm further up. Of course it should have some cooldown time to prevent players from flying around freely (like in the actual game Wink)
There will be recoil for the super shotgun. However, any experienced Liero player knows that worms can't shoot straight downwards.

Why not make the larpa vA and the doomsday ^A since it's somewhat more logical that an attack that deals damage downwards is associated with a downward input?
Larpa can deal damage upwards, too. Since the missile itself is fired upwards, I thought it fit.

When playing liero you often use the hook to pull the other player towards you. Maybe you could give the hook a negative knockback to mimic this?
I was considering this, but I couldn't think of any reason Liero would want to get closer to the other players.

Also, the big nuke is a weapon that's almost a gimmick for the game. Don't know if it would fit in indie brawl though  Huh?
Big Nuke was cool, but it fits the same niche as the Chiquita Bomb. Of the two, I think the chiquitas are a little more distinct and iconic.

godsavant
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 02:54:38 PM »

I take it we'll be sticking to Oracle's design?

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 02:55:05 PM »

I like it!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Clemens Scott
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 03:06:36 PM »

I think Oracle's is too 'banded', see? If it were smoother I think it would be cooler, with maybe a bigger hump in the tail.

Also it'd be sweet if the ninja rope thing had some arc to it.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 03:09:49 PM »

We don't have to stick to Oracle's concept art exactly (or even at all; just look at the dwarf). I do like the headband, though.

shig
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 04:20:30 PM »

Guys, just out of curiosity here: What is the relation between Liero and Worms?

Who ripped off who? Or maybe they are completely unrelated?
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 05:20:29 PM »

Liero came after worms. The Chiquita Bomb is based off the Banana Bomb.

Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 11:08:15 PM »

Hey that concept art will help loads. unfortunately progress for this character by me will be slow as I have no tablet.. any more, that and I have College like in an hour or two.

Well I must admit he's concept art is major good! I myself was drawing concept art in which he had legs..but in a way that his clothing represented him as a worm. I worked on it for age's...but each stage pissed me off. I then got to think about the the game "Worms" and went back to the idea of not having legs. You see the problem with not having legs means that mobility will be somewhat bad. But anyway, I progressed through my own concepts when thinking of worms and, I must admit...I never thought I could go so blank in my life.
So I will look at this dude's concept and try and recreate it to suite what your going for.

Later.

Edit: Did a bit more this morning and its looking good. Will hopefully have something by tommorrow, other people can gladly have a shot at it to.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:32:37 PM by Jim » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic