Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:57:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Liero [DONE]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Liero [DONE]  (Read 65825 times)
Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 02:15:34 PM »

Sorry for the bump, but I have a few questions before I go over overboard.
Firstly admiring This mateys concept art I decided to forward the development in that direction, and this morning I was feeling hopeful about the tail...that all changed and so I have this for my new line art.(third try, not finished):

Now as I don't read properly. I miss took Mr nightshades minimum size requirement as the actual total requirement. This explains the small size. So how much bigger must I make it, if at all. should I keep the feet shown in red, which I will explain in more detail in a  sec. And for the IDLE must I incorporate the rifle?, of which I already started blobbing out.

The feet: You see they aren't going to be seen totally and will if I or others do it right look like the end of the tail, but my goal is to recreat it giving it more freedom of movement.

Lastly, I like working on grey backing, I also haven't finished the line art, and is why it looks so...messed up. But this is due to me wanting more of the fans opinions of what should or shouldn't happen at this early stage.

Jim  Hand Fork Left Wizard Hand Money Right
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 02:22:49 PM »

That size is okay. Liero is a little guy.

Liero doesn't have feet, so they should really be removed. Not all the characters in this game have to be humanoid.

I'd recommend the idle stance to incorporate the rifle. He uses it for virtually all his attacks, so there's no reason for him to put it away.

Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 02:35:59 PM »

Thanks for info.
On note of the tail, I will change it, but it won't be to long like that originally posted in the concept. If others like the long tale they, can add it gladly.(I made this concious decisions based on opinion alone)

Rifle added. Asked, as I didn't know what the programmers would like to work with.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 02:47:16 AM »

Jim - nice to see you starting to contribute! I also agree that the feet should probably be dropped completely and the tail could be a bit longer. The size is quite ok - I recommend that you take a bigger character and put them next to each other to get a better comparison of the character size. I think Liero could be about as large as quote - maybe 2px smaller - but should be quite skinny.

Also I agree with Xion that the worm is too 'banded'. If I got him right that means that each segment is too bouncy and should be smoothed out. I'll try to come up with a new concept art by tonight based on Oracle's original version.

Cheers!  Beer!

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 08:39:46 AM »

The more I think about it, the more I like that size. Indie Brawl doesn't have a lot of small characters planned, and Liero would certainly fit well in that category.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 03:36:59 PM »

Late, but still, here's the promised concept sketch:

The second one is to show the shape of the back body (which is covered by shotty in the first one) - also it would maybe work for the portrait graphic.

Clemens Scott
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 03:38:22 PM »

I know this is a bit off topic, but is there any way to play Liero on vista?
Even when I try the XP mode it says:
Code:
C:Windows\system32\cmd.exe
This system does not support fullscreen mode. Choose'close' to terminate the application
if I click ignore, it repeats a few times, than closes automaticly.
The level editor has the same result.
The normal mode just crashes.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 04:23:44 PM »

Follow these directions.

Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009, 03:53:27 AM »

Dammit, haven't done anything yet after my last post. Had things to do.. Well expect to see something by the end of the day.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 05:45:22 PM »

So far, I've programmed five attacks: flamer, larpa, super shotgun, chiquita bomb and fan. Programming those last two took ages.  Tired

The results are worth it, though. The chiquita bomb creates an impressive explosion, and the fan knocks back just about everything: projectiles, thrown items and other characters. It's very satisfying to send a spike seed flying right back into Naija's face.

I've also found a pretty cool combo. Throw the chiquita bomb on the ground, and before it explodes, shoot it with the fan into the enemy. If you time it perfectly, you can get a one-hit kill.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2009, 06:38:40 AM »

Yeah Liero's quite a bigshot!  Big Laff
Would be great to have the first sprite ready though. The green pixel-ish box can be a little confusing during a match.  Wink
Speaking of which, any thoughts on the new Liero concept art?

Clemens Scott
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2009, 07:20:06 AM »

I don't really agree on the design. I have always imagined the liero worm to look something like this:

Without segments and without any real head.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2009, 07:29:10 AM »

Kovski, your concept art looks pretty good.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Liero's balanced. You said in the Design Doc thread that he was on par with the other characters, which is, frankly, amazing. I'm sure some of his attacks are much better than others, though, so I'd like to hear which attacks you used most.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2009, 08:30:43 AM »

Ah thanks for the input - shouldn't be much of a problem to change him to the looks of that. I'll see if I can come up with a new concept art as sometime..

Concerning Liero's balance, he definitely is VERY strong. You will probably have to tune down the damage a little bit, since so many of his attacks have a high reach or cover a big area. However, Liero's movement incapability really makes up a lot for his firepower superiority.

Most used weapons were probably Super Shotgun, the Larpa and Chiquita Bombs (because of those awesome massive explosions!).

We played a couple of times with Liero, but out of three times he was beaten only about once. When playing with more than two people, Liero's balance issues will probably become more apparent.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 12:00:43 PM by Kovski » Logged

Clemens Scott
shig
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2009, 10:37:31 AM »

In a Final Destination style stage Liero's unbalancing should become a lot more apparent.

I'm not sure if he would be completely overpowered or weak, but I doubt he would be balanced in a flat stage.
godsavant
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2009, 11:50:14 AM »

I don't really agree on the design. I have always imagined the liero worm to look something like this:

Without segments and without any real head.

Don't rock the boat.  Giggle
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2009, 01:37:27 PM »

I'm considering these changes for Liero:
-Reduce Super Shotgun damage from 16 to 12.
-Reduce Larpa shrapnel damage from 4 to 3.
-Reduce Doomsday's shots to 4, for a reduction of damage from 18 to 12. The rate of fire would be the same, however.
-Reduce Chiquita banana's damage from 4 to 3.

Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2009, 09:16:02 AM »

I'm back...I had a problem with my pc(F$(%*ing Virus!) Well I now have all my things set up and running, and I'm ready to make this and also finish my avatar I was Busy with.

But before I spend time on this, I feel that personal fans to the game don't agree with the concept of the character, so I think this should be revised before I continue..

. . . .  . . . . .    ..   ..
     .         .        .  .  .
     .         .        .     .
  . .      . . . . .    .     .

I have way to much time on my hands XD
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2009, 10:17:04 AM »

Hey Jim, good to see you back! Glad everything's back up and running - hope you got yourself a good anti virus software now, too! Wink

So, here's the new concept art:

I hope everybody is satisfied now.  Tongue
I'd say kick out the first pixel version and do all further discussion on the sprite itself.
That way everybody can paint a pixel or two. Wink

Clemens Scott
godsavant
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2009, 12:25:29 PM »

I like Oravle's chunkier version better, but I'll wait till I see this in sprite form before I judge. Shrug
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic