Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:47:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCHIGUN - POW POW POULTRY. (SUMMER ALPHA BUILD RELEASED)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: CHIGUN - POW POW POULTRY. (SUMMER ALPHA BUILD RELEASED)  (Read 18063 times)
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 10:06:52 AM »

Hey Folks, here's an awesome acrylic painting of the wisened elder of the tribe for "Free Range" by Tyler. I'll be plonking him (the elder, not Tyler) in the level real soon.

Also we have a scanner (as you can probably guess by the improved quality of the uploaded artwork), so that's going to make showing you Tyler's stuff in future a boatload easier!

Mekuri
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 10:26:50 AM »

I really loved that you actually made the "chickens" out of clay. As you mentioned yourself a lot of the detail might get lost due to the small size, but by looking at the screenshots you've posted, it does add something, that simple pixel art wouldn't.

Keep up the good work :-)
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 09:34:54 PM »

Hey Folks, a late post tonight - I've just about finished the artwork for "Free Range". Here is an updated GIF of how it looks:

The question now is the gameplay...

For the map name, Free Range, you'd expect an expansive, easy to maneuver map, but if you look at the level design, the opposite seems apparent.

In the coming days, I'll be refining the design of this level to improve this, so stay tuned!

I really loved that you actually made the "chickens" out of clay. As you mentioned yourself a lot of the detail might get lost due to the small size, but by looking at the screenshots you've posted, it does add something, that simple pixel art wouldn't.

Keep up the good work :-)

Thank you very much! The detail I refer to in the post is engraved detail (as the cubes that we animated with were smooth sided), rather than the subtle details I added digitally to the clay blocks afterwards. Since the chickens were 32x32, it's unlikely you'd have been able to see much of the engraving at that size. I'll check the article and make sure I've not done goofed with my phrasing.

Whilst I really like working with pixel art (since it allows me to structure gameplay quickly and do a lot with a little), it was far more rewarding actually animating it myself and building the physical models. I should be doing a Gamasutra article about this and how I've found it working on a game with another person real soon.

tmonet
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 06:21:30 PM »

A drawing of some nasty specimens i worked on for the Chigun level OutBeak, Alex and i believe that the level is in need of some refurbishing.

Hope you enjoy

Bacawk, Tyler
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 06:43:55 PM »

Hey Folks! Here's a cheeky update on Abplucktion!

We noticed that early players of the level had a habit of falling down the hole at the bottom of the level without realizing it was there. To address this, we found some loose metal ventilation piping knocking about and took some snaps of it.

Using a simple masking method, we were able to get the illusion of the chickens falling down the pipes.

Upon request of Tyler, I added some pipes that looped back round to the bullet release point. The main problem we have with that now is whether people think it's a route that loops around (from seeing the piping). To deal with this, Tyler will be making some tiny hazard signs to sit at the top of the pipe (more than likely featuring chicken skulls).

Here's a short gif a chicken falling to it's death.

Stay tuned for more updates real soon!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 05:21:02 AM »

Hey Folks!

Tyler did some pretty creepy designs for little chicken mutants a week or so back for the cages in Eggsperiment, but it became quickly clear that there wasn't enough room for them to give them the visuals they deserved. To fix this, I chose the more mobile looking mutants and gave them some basic animation to send them scampering across the worktop at the front of the level. As it stands, there's 3 different mutants in the level. Enjoy these GIFs of the little scamps running about!

(Might be worth mentioning as well that the rate of the monsters in this gif appear more often than in the final game, I've got a timer that randomly generates a number between 1 and 20. If it equals 1, a mutant is created from the left and 2 from the right.)

More stuff coming soon!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 02:32:06 PM »

Hey Folks!

Another quick update - sounds have now been added to Chigun. As a result, we'll be putting up some footage of gameplay real soon (rather than just GIFs).

Tyler has been working on some more horrific designs for monsters/specimens for Outbeak, so once we've got experiment and Free Range finished tonight, we'll start getting them thrown in there!

Here's a preview of them:

We had some rather adorable fan art from one of the kids from my class:

Stay tuned!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2014, 03:09:02 PM »

Eggsperiment is our planned Demo release for CHIGUN. We'll be releasing it when we hit 2000 views!*

*2000 should give us a little bit of time to iron out the creases, but if you want to catch us with our
metaphorical knickers down, please share with friends and family to make the release happen sooner!

PicklesIIDX
Level 0

Follow your heart!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 05:10:02 PM »

The visual style in this game is unlike anything I've seen in a game. Although it's a deathmatch shooter, the visuals make me feel like there is a lot more to this.

I'm very interested in getting to play it though. Not only as a developer of a bird based game myself, but I'm a big fan of Samurai Gunn. From every gif though it feels like it's nearly impossible to see where my chicken would be on screen. Those bullets get lost in the background as well. But, that's why I want to play it. Maybe it's easy to keep track of everything when you're 'in the coop.'

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 11:32:24 PM »

Hey folks,

Super late post but wanted to get it done before I went to bed. Here is an updated version of Free Range with enhanced visuals:

Things improved:
1. Foreground floor re-textured since it looked awful (and now this one fits with the crimson sand mentioned in the description)
2. Shading - Before the last update, the objects in the level looked flat and out of place. A layer of shading helps them blend in the level and gives them a 3 Dimensional feel to them.
3. Animation - Added a nice little fire for each egg shell to accompany the smoke, and to ensure the animation wasn't weighted to one side of the screen, the wizened chicken man blinks from time to time.
4. Shadows - After pondering with it for a while, I added some shadows to the totem and wizened chicken after deciding to place the lighting to the right top hand side of the screen (since it matches the highlights of the giant chicken statue). This helps embed the mixed medium objects such as the totem pole into the level.
5. Leather boundary - Me and Tyler decided that we wanted interwoven leather strapping for the edge of the level. Initially we just plonked it under the scanner in a tangled mess, but after some experimentation I found that just scanning in a corner piece meant when doubled up and flipped 180 degrees that I could get a nice border effect which didn't encroach on the map too much.
6. Level Design - Outbeak was the first level we designed and has a nice open feel to it, but we want the later levels to be much more challenging (along with Free Range's original design feeling very enclosed and confined), so I switched the level design Outbeak with Free Range.

Keep checking back for more updates as me and Tyler are going to keep working super hard on this! Any feedback that people have on this level would be greatly appreciated.

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2014, 02:58:59 PM »

Hey Folks!

So we've had a couple of days without an update (the internet has been down where we work), but this hasn't stopped us from ploughing through with plenty of new stuff!

OUTBEAK was the original map that we created for CHIGUN, so we felt that after all the polish we'd been applying to the different levels that it was in need of refinement. Here's the list of things that we've changed:

1. Added swirly beasts in foreground - we had a couple of extra ugly little critters that we tried to build into the foreground, but they took up too much space. To solve this, we made their position constantly move (by creating a huge image then rotating them)
2. Shifted the colour pallet - in the original level, the whole level was doused in red, so to create contrast we added in some remnants of blue (connecting through from Eggsperiment)
3. Re-did backgrounds - Tyler had produced some original cryo tanks for the backdrop along with some cellular looking images for the back layer (since the previous one was a bunch of industrial buildings).
4. Switched the monster in the tank - Tyler made a super creepy beast to replace the rather flat chicken mutant. We'll be getting him to bob in the fluid in the near future.
5. Darkened the foreground - the vines and growths around the outside of the level were darkened as there was there was too much stuff happening in the foreground.
6. Added a creepy drifting bird - originally we were going to have the guy in the background be perched on one of the vines growing out, but after applying a super cool filter we decided to put him in the background moving across.
7. Level layout - Whilst I really enjoy the design for this level, the design for FREE RANGE was way too confined and complex for the first level in the game, so the design for OUTBEAK became FREE RANGE. I adapted one of the original level designs (10 variants I did) and restructured it so it felt more streamlined.
8. Spinning Blades - The level features spinning blades that ricochet bullets off in random directions and that of course shred the chickens if they come into contact with them.

Stay tuned for more updates soon!

tmonet
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2014, 04:28:23 PM »

Hello, Chigun friends and family, Yolkyo is in the works as we speak. Be prepared for dioramas, hand drawn art, hand crafted creatures and every other weird hand created thing under the sun.  Alex and I are working on the final product for our demo release of Eggsperiment as well.  Once we have reached 2,000 views you will have the chance to try out some gameplay. On the subject of Eggsperiment, our good friend Luke Smith has created a lovely soundtrack to accompany our visuals which will be featured in the demo.

Many thanks, from the Chigunners
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 09:30:29 PM »

Hey Folks!

Got something pretty interesting to share this evening... Tonight we had the photoshoot for the narrator of the game. The twist? It's Tyler. We got hold of some wonderful make up artists who did a right number on Tyler's face. Let's have a little before and after job:

BEFORE (Minus Earings)

AFTER

Pretty Convincing, Eh?

We took a ridiculous number of photos, and as a test, I did a short animation for the tutorial level.

This is just 1 of the 5 different outfits we did for the levels within the game. More coming soon!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2014, 04:58:57 PM »

Hello Friends,

Tyler and I are thankful that we have this many people interested in CHIGUN. Since we have reached 2,000 views on this forum we are more than happy to release the tutorial and a demo of our game.  Hope everyone enjoys and feedback is always much appreciated.

http://alexvscoding.itch.io/chigun

Many thanks, Alex and Tyler

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2014, 09:22:50 PM »

Hey Folks!

Whilst things are going well so far since release - we've had a considerable hiccup that's worth your attention as a windows user of CHIGUN:

"FOR WINDOWS USERS:

DISCLAIMER - FOR WINDOWS, WE HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING A TECHNICAL ISSUE THAT RESULTS IN SEVERAL MINUTES OF LOADING BEFORE THE DEMO LAUNCHES. IT'LL APPEAR TO CRASH/NOT RESPOND WITH A WHITE/BLACK SCREEN BUT IF YOU WAIT, IT EVENTUALLY STARTS AFTER 3-4 MINUTES. WE ARE WORKING AROUND THE CLOCK TO FIX THIS BUT AS WE PROMISED TO RELEASE THIS AT 2000 VIEWS ON TIGSOURCE WE'RE STICKING TO OUR WORD FOR THOSE WHO REALLY WANT TO PLAY THE GAME DESPITE THIS.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE, LOVE YOU GUYS"

On a lighter note, I've taken a bunch of screenshots of each of the levels so you can get a nice close look at some of the details.

FREE RANGE

ABPLUCTION

EGGSPERIMENT

OUTBEAK

More coming soon!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »

Hey folks,

Happy to announce that the issue with the windows build has been quashed. Thanks for your patience and enjoy the demo.

I'd also like to take this moment to introduce Luke Smith, the fellow behind the music of CHIGUN. Here is his sound cloud where you can check out his music. Thanks!

Also happy to announce that Yolkyo is in production tonight and updates/visual should be up of the first draft in the coming days. Stay tuned!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2014, 05:28:25 PM »

Hey Folks! here's a super short gif showing some lighting experiments for the tiles from Yolkyo. Hope you enjoy!

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2014, 06:49:07 PM »

As much as I admire all the work you put it to the backgrounds, I would have to say the game looks like it would be better off without them. It's just to hard to tell what's going on.
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2014, 11:12:06 PM »

As much as I admire all the work you put it to the backgrounds, I would have to say the game looks like it would be better off without them. It's just to hard to tell what's going on.

Hey Knight, thanks for the feedback! Was wondering if you feel this way for all the levels or a select few (as we agree that Abpluction and Outbeak still need work in this area). As for Free Range and Eggsperiment, me and Tyler put extra time into these to make sure the characters/bullets are legible, so we hope our work wasn't in vain!

After several suggestions from testers at this end, we'll also be looking at making the bullets brighter and easier to spot against the backdrop, possibly along with the Chickens as well. Another alternative is putting a slightly tinted screen in-between the backdrop and the arena to give some differentiation between the layers. Either way, we'll get chance for a further look into it once Yolkyo is done.

On the subject of Yolkyo, here's an updated version of the level in darkness - the level layout is going to be getting a revamp once we're done with the backdrop. Stay tuned!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2014, 08:56:25 PM »

Hey Folks!

Fantastic news. Tonight we got a boatload of work done!

The major thing that we covered tonight was getting the majority the audio recorded for the narrative sections of the game! It's going to take a couple of days to process it all but cannot wait to get some of the voices into the demo. Keep an eye out as we are really cranking it up to 11 for these last few weeks!

Yolkyo's visuals are just about there, we just need to tweak bushes in the foreground. Here's a comparison between blackout and illuminated:

(Also worth mentioning that these images are yet to have shaders applied to them (125% contrast and grain).

Stay tuned for more stuff!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic