Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:29:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsExgenesis - 2d point and click adventure
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Exgenesis - 2d point and click adventure  (Read 3129 times)
AxBattler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2014, 06:51:33 AM »

We have recently started working on a first person 2d point and click adventure game called Exgenesis.
The main draw, besides an intriguing storyline and interesting puzzles (well, we hope so Wink ), will be the art style that mixes real world photography with CG images. It's still all very much a work in progress, but here is a screenshot from the title sequence:

You can't see it from the screenshot but most scenes will have little animated touches; in this case there is the comet in the sky and the lamppost light that flickers.
If you're curious about how the real place looks like: Wikipedia link.

The gameplay will be mostly old-school point and click, using the mouse to interact and walk around, an inventory to collect items and multiple-choice dialogues.

This is the game logo:

A teaser trailer:

Right now we're building a short prototype of the prologue/first chapter; as soon as we have more to show around I will.
About the storyline... we'll keep that a mystery for a little while Wink

Official website: http://www.48hstudio.com/g_exgenesis.php
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:55:55 AM by AxBattler » Logged

@APantaloni | Currently working on: Exgenesis | Out now: Avoid Sensory Overload | www.48hstudio.com
AxBattler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 05:45:22 AM »

And here it is a new screenshot!
This time it's a mysterious door Smiley

The work is progressing nicely, it shouldn't take long to have the short prototype/demo completed.
I don't have much else to add this week; we're still experimenting with the UI and inventory system, trying to reach a good compromise between functionality and unobtrusiveness.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 06:06:48 AM by AxBattler » Logged

@APantaloni | Currently working on: Exgenesis | Out now: Avoid Sensory Overload | www.48hstudio.com
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 06:41:20 AM »

This is the game logo:

The initial screen reminds me a lot of TRAUMA which I adore. The logo is incredibly slick and I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this. What are you building the game in? 48h studio is an kickass name too.

AxBattler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 07:08:23 AM »

The initial screen reminds me a lot of TRAUMA which I adore. The logo is incredibly slick and I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this.

Thanks a lot! I'll forward the praise to the rest of the team. I can't take credit for the graphics, I'm just a programmer Wink
I admit I haven't played TRAUMA personally (but if I recall correctly someone on the team did and loved it), I'll have to someday soon!

What are you building the game in?

We're using Unity, mainly for two reasons: we already have experience with it and we can easily target all the major platforms. Our plan is to start with Windows, Mac and (maybe? probably?) Linux, but who knows... if the game is successful we don't rule out other ports.

AxBattler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 11:39:16 AM »

A preview of one of the audio tracks is available on the SoundCloud page of our composer.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:45:12 AM by AxBattler » Logged

AxBattler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 05:20:08 AM »

A screenshot from a dreamlike sequence early in the game:

The prototype is ALMOST done... almost  Wink

AxBattler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 07:24:43 AM »

I was on vacation on the past three days Beer! , so I missed the Screenshot Saturday

Another scene, this time from further in the game:

The spinxes are not 3D renders, but photos of a small model made with a clay-like material by our artist. That's because we're trying to give the game its own distinctive look and we try to use as less CGI as possible.

Our composer just made available on SoundCloud another audio track: Paths (draft version)

bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 02:32:34 AM »

Hi,

I was a little disapointed that the trailer doesn't show any gameplay.
It feels a lot enigmatic. It's maybe intended.

It feels more of a mood game than anything else. Am I right ?
Anyway the ambience and the mood feels great  Grin
I also like the mix of real images an CG. It offers a unique look.
I'll keep a eye on your project   Smiley

AxBattler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 03:01:09 AM »

I was a little disapointed that the trailer doesn't show any gameplay.
It feels a lot enigmatic. It's maybe intended.

Well, in part it's intended but it's also because the gameplay video is not ready yet Smiley
The one currently on youtube was made some time ago and we didn't have much of really playable to show.
We're working on a new one and we also plan to release a short playable demo in the near future.

It feels more of a mood game than anything else. Am I right ?
Anyway the ambience and the mood feels great  Grin
I also like the mix of real images an CG. It offers a unique look.
I'll keep a eye on your project   Smiley

Many thanks!
Yes, we're trying to create an "experience", but that doesn't mean that there won't be a game to play Wink
Mostly it will be classic point-and-click: items to collect, puzzles to solve, dialogues, places to explore...
<mysterious voice>...but more about that will be revealed soon!

AxBattler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 07:06:51 AM »

At the beginning of your journey you'll come across a mysterious book. Finding a way to open it will be your first task.

Once opened the book will be crucial to solve various puzzles and will provide many insights on the world of Exgenesis.

The book haa been modeled and rendered with Blender.
And now we're taking a two-week break from work to recharge our batteries  Wink
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 08:09:08 AM by AxBattler » Logged

AxBattler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 08:02:58 AM »

Vacation time is almost over... on monday we'll be back to work!  Cry  Wink
In the meantime we have a new image to show:

It's the background for another dream(or nightmare?)like sequence, and it's probably my favourite so far  Smiley

AxBattler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 03:43:45 AM »

We now have a new teaser trailer:

And also a Facebook page for the game: https://www.facebook.com/48hexgenesis

AxBattler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 10:54:30 AM »

A video showing alpha gameplay footage:

Any feedback is very welcome!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 11:19:14 AM by AxBattler » Logged

AxBattler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 09:08:56 AM »

The game has been Greenlit on Steam!  
Thanks everybody! Beer!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:26:57 AM by AxBattler » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic