Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 12:03:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)What's your favorite programming language?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: What's your favorite programming language?  (Read 21346 times)
Sushi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2014, 02:53:48 PM »

How does c# compare to delphi? That would be interesting to know considering the same guy designed both languages.

Well, the main difference one is native and with manual memory management and the other the opposite, non-native & garbage-collected. There are other differences of course, but that is really the biggest ones  Smiley

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2014, 03:29:17 PM »

Surely the difference in syntax is reasonably important to note as well? Smiley

Sushi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2014, 03:35:09 PM »

Ah, sure, I guess I'm too used to both. But... the sintax is not really that different, to the point that converting code between a pascal dialect and a C dialect can be done easily by search & replacing a few keywords.

Both have good and bad things I guess  Cool

WoldenDans
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2014, 07:47:31 AM »

C++ undoubtedly. That's also the language I hate the most. We are in a passive-agressive relationship. It's one of the most powerful and complete language I know, but also one of the ugliest and deeply complex.

Just try CRTPs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curiously_recurring_template_pattern
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2014, 01:49:10 PM »

I like Java, bring the executioner
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2014, 03:18:29 PM »

I like Java, bring the executioner
I think Java is certainly usable (and doesn't suffer as much slowness as some would have you believe, I've seen bad cpp rub just as slowly as bad Java) but I've grown to hate the way it forces OOP onto everything a lot over the past 3 years quite a lot.

That and the constant ask toolbar nagging on desktop is terrible Smiley

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2014, 05:54:00 PM »

and the damn forced exceptions, many of which are in the standard library

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2014, 05:56:57 PM »

Oh yeah that too, though I see that more as a library problem than a language problem (doesn't prevent me from being annoyed by them every time I need to use java though, haha). Particularly insidious are a lot of standard lib close() functions that potentially throw and as such require trys within finally blocks.

Dacke is a java fan iirc, haven't seen him around here so much recently though.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2014, 10:39:39 PM »

Particularly insidious are a lot of standard lib close() functions that potentially throw and as such require trys within finally blocks.

Oi, while I can see the logic (e.g. closing a file can fail if the hardware breaks or connection with the hardware is lost or anything like that), yeah it probably could have been handled better... though I guess it'd be inconsistent with the rest of the API. For example, in C fclose can fail (many people don't know this!) for pretty much the same reasons I mentioned, but regardless of what happens the file will be closed - the error code is just to tell you if the file became potentially corrupt or missing.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2014, 10:53:17 PM »

Yup, and you're not forced to check for failure if you don't really care (like if you just wanted to make sure it's closed to avoid file handles leaking) - in java this could have been implemented the same way as in C but I guess they decided exceptions were the best way to check errors and really went for it.

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2014, 12:35:10 AM »

on those c# java exceptions: I am starting to get a little in the D language, for that case they've made a very clean alternative : scope()

from some stackoverflow example

with exceptions
Code:
sqlite3* db;
sqlite3_open("some.db", &db);
try
{
    sqlite3_stmt* stmt;
    sqlite3_prepare_v2(db, "SELECT * FROM foo;", &stmt);
    try
    {
        // Lots of stuff...
        try
        {
            make_changes_with(stmt);

// More stuff...
        }
        catch( Exception e )
        {
            rollback_to(current_state);
            throw;
        }
    }
    finally
    {
        sqlite3_finalize(stmt);
    }
}
finally
{
    sqlite3_close(db);
}

same thing using scope()
Code:
sqlite3* db;
sqlite3_open("some.db", &db);
scope(exit) sqlite3_close(db);

sqlite3_stmt* stmt;
sqlite3_prepare_v2(db, "SELECT * FROM foo;", &stmt);
scope(exit) sqlite3_finalize(stmt);

// Lots of stuff...

scope(failure) rollback_to(current_state);
make_changes_with(stmt);

// More stuff...

return;

the biggest problem it solves imo are those nested try catch things, they always hurt my brain and litter my screen otherwise.
MorleyDev
Level 0

"It is not enough for it to just work"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2014, 03:59:11 AM »

I prefer unchecked exceptions, especially since in general think exceptions should only be for the exceptional situation. There for when you need to "fail" fast, and whilst handling the exception is possible they are best used when the default operation of someone integrating against a function that throws will generally be to back out completely and fail (InternalServerError in a server, CTD in a program). It's a complex topic, but in general:

If failure is an expected or likely result of an operation, return.
If failure is a result of incorrect pre-conditions and should not happen, throw.

So if you are trying to get an item a user requests from a database, that item not being there is not an exceptional situation and the return code should encode the fact that the item could be returned empty (I like to use something like Scala's Option class for this, and

return null
).

But the Database being down is an exceptional situation and as such some sort of "DatabaseNotFoundException" should be thrown.

Functional languages have the best support for ideas like "Option" and "Either" since they come from the functional world, but other languages are adopting them into their standards because they are useful.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 05:17:19 PM by MorleyDev » Logged

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2014, 01:13:35 PM »

Yup, and you're not forced to check for failure if you don't really care (like if you just wanted to make sure it's closed to avoid file handles leaking) - in java this could have been implemented the same way as in C but I guess they decided exceptions were the best way to check errors and really went for it.

If you opened a file for reading then something really needs to screw up for closing to damage the data (to the point you probably have much bigger problems way beyond your scope). When writing it may be a good idea to check for it even if just to warn the user that something may have gone wrong.

Probably the worst case I've seen is with PhysicsFS: if there are any files opened you can't deinitialize the library, but closing can potentially fail (and will stay open in such a case!), and this means you can actually become unable to deinitialize (by having some file that keeps failing to close). I don't think I need to explain how bad it is, especially considering how the condition can be pretty easy to trigger (just tell the program to open a file over a network and then kill the connection, suddenly closing will fail since the program can't tell the network to close it).
selvin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2014, 02:43:24 PM »

Java for enterprise application.

C# for game dev.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2014, 09:40:33 PM »

@Sik: not sure what part of the quoted text you're responding to there, but that seems like a really bad design choice in PhysicsFS.

@MorleyDev: I agree with you in principle but find myself annoyed by exceptions in almost 100% of the cases I use them in. I tend to compile cpp with them turned off completely (and have started turning off RTTI as well).

vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2014, 06:32:08 AM »

C++ no doubt, simple to use/understand/work with, only really gets ugly when dealing with things like pointers, but I heard they came up with something called smart pointers that makes it easier to deal with.
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2014, 06:40:00 AM »

Javascript for everything.

I deserve to be punished.

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2014, 08:11:56 PM »

C++ no doubt, simple to use/understand/work with, only really gets ugly when dealing with things like pointers, but I heard they came up with something called smart pointers that makes it easier to deal with.

My secret shame. I still use raw pointers. I haven't really every been bitten by pointer issues.

That said I dont use pointers super often and I'm really paranoid when I do use them.

Ashaman73
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: August 08, 2014, 03:35:18 AM »

For enterprise application java.

For game dev C++.

For scripting lua.

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 08, 2014, 04:50:53 AM »

Personally, I'm quite comfortable with pointers and pointer arithmetic.  Getting into data-oriented design and cache-friendly code has really shown me how fundamental and simple pointers are.

I think the problem most people have with pointers is that they're not used to thinking of everything as it is stored in memory.  Only languages like C and C++ allow you to do this.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic