Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:48:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Is low-poly with flat shaded look the new pixel art?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Is low-poly with flat shaded look the new pixel art?  (Read 31929 times)
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 02:03:16 PM »

The whole unlit/unshaded thing means you get to do compositions using fields of color, palettes, silhouettes and composition, that is, making nice 2d images. As all 3d art on a screen is essentially flat, I find it wondrous that it took this long for this style to emerge and spread
GG-Works
Level 0

It's going to be a long ride

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 05:02:59 PM »

This is a good thing, because we're reaching that point where N64 and PS1 games are the new retro thing now.  I'm highly considering making a low budget 3D game after I finish my current one.  I can see someone making a RPG that's very FF7-9ish one day, since I can see the rising demand for such a thing.

eepoo
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 06:54:58 PM »

Even if it's a homage to PS1 and N64 graphics you shouldn't forsake the new technologies available. Some projects seem to combine modern shaders and lighting very nicely with the style.

I want to make something with this style myself but I'm having a hard time coming up with concepts. Modeling comes easy to me but I can't draw worth shit.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 07:00:46 PM by eepoo » Logged
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 09:41:19 PM »

This is a good thing, because we're reaching that point where N64 and PS1 games are the new retro thing now.  I'm highly considering making a low budget 3D game after I finish my current one.  I can see someone making a RPG that's very FF7-9ish one day, since I can see the rising demand for such a thing.
Just wait until the 6th generation becomes retro. Shenmue-like games, anyone?

(shame that being a debug build means the framerate got murdered)
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 10:07:17 PM »

higher-poly flat shaded also plx.

I AM FREE!
Venomlemon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 11:37:07 PM »

I'd say nothing is the new pixel art, but yeah I've kept my eyes on this emerging trend as well.

Yo, stalk me on Twittter
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 02:36:25 AM »

Yeah the question this thread asks boils down to:

"Is Trend X like Trend Y?"

And the answer is "Yes, they are both trends."
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 02:47:10 AM »

Another, possibly more interesting question: "Do you prefer Trend X to Trend Y?"

And the answer is yes.

I AM FREE!
RidiculousJohn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 05:20:44 PM »

Blender is almost usable these days. Wink

Cheesy
I have grown fond of blender Sad
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 11:51:54 PM »

I guess it depends on what you started with first, most of the complaints about Blender I see have to do with the interface not being like 3DS Max, rather than about actual functionality. Not like I can complain, I started with AutoCAD R14, adding each quad manually specifying the position of each vertex in the input line... (try to beat that)
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2014, 04:20:57 AM »

No AA. low poly only. Final Destination.

But yeah I love this look and am more than happy to see it making a resurgence. Games like Runescape 2007 and Star Fox are beautiful to me solely because of the rasterised, flat shaded, low-poly 3d look.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2014, 12:01:07 AM »

I've been wondering about this myself for a while (no seriously - opened a discussion thread on reddit/r/games a few months ago with the exact same title, that for some reason instantly got downvoted).

The biggest issue I have with pixel-art is when it's used inconsistently: It's annoying when a game uses low res sprites, but high-res screens where they can move in sub-pixel positions. I'm not a purist who is against bloom, shading, etc, but again it's often used in a way that feels inconsistent and where it clashes with the pixel aesthetic, and not in a "creates interesting tension"-way.

I think low-poly has fewer of these issues.

Something that both styles have in common is that they are simplified, selectively chosen distillations of reality - unimportant details are removed (due to technical limitations, but still). That means the whole Understanding Comics chapter on cartoons applies here:

(this is only a few panels of the full chapter, obviously)

But you all knew that, because everyone here has already read Understanding Comics, right? Right?
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2014, 06:25:09 AM »

But yeah I love this look and am more than happy to see it making a resurgence. Games like Runescape 2007 and Star Fox are beautiful to me solely because of the rasterised, flat shaded, low-poly 3d look.

I find Star Fox to look pretty ugly actually. There are just too few polygons. More detailed models do age more gracefully though, like for example the graphics of

(heck, even the

look nice).

The biggest issue I have with pixel-art is when it's used inconsistently: It's annoying when a game uses low res sprites, but high-res screens where they can move in sub-pixel positions. I'm not a purist who is against bloom, shading, etc, but again it's often used in a way that feels inconsistent and where it clashes with the pixel aesthetic, and not in a "creates interesting tension"-way.

THIS. It annoys me to no end. Either align the textures or render to a low-resolution framebuffer and scale that. The reason the screenshots in my game are so tiny (384×240) is that they're taken straight from the internal framebuffer (they're as pure as they can get).

A related issue is the faked resolution, many games make the pixels way larger than they should. Hey, the usual low resolution was 256/320×224, try to respect the pixel density at least! No need to make games so blocky. Even the Atari 2600 had a higher resolution than many of those games (160×224). Related to this is the size of the text being so tiny (usually 3×5 or 4×5). Um hello, old games usually had 7×7 fonts, at least try to gimmick the height.
muppetpuppet
Level 0

games, mods and serious games development.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2014, 02:17:21 PM »

I wrote an howto  a while back, that add's fairly modern shader technology to low-poly stylings, it's got shader samples and the entire process I'm using for Oberon's Court.
http://blog.littlechicken.nl/creating-a-textureless-pure3d-look-as-seen-in-oberons-court/

perhaps its usefull;)

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2014, 02:30:36 AM »

I totally dig pixel art, anyone can do it, even those artistically challenged. Everyone seems to have a unique style when it comes to pixel art which is cool. With very limited pixels you can really separate yourself from others using the same amount of pixels.

However I don't think the same can be said about low-poly flat shading. To me everything looks a little "same-y" after seeing it a few times. N64,PS1 nostalgia is cool but looking back... those games don't exactly look the nicest now. SNES games, even some NES games, are visually quite beautiful even today, even without the nostalgia goggles.

Also hyper?-poly flat shading however is super sexy... I dig that.

Pixel art and low poly art means more games that look nice which don't become overly graphically ambitious... I also dig that.

Bring on low-poly art.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2014, 11:15:57 AM »

I totally dig pixel art, anyone can do it, even those artistically challenged. Everyone seems to have a unique style when it comes to pixel art which is cool. With very limited pixels you can really separate yourself from others using the same amount of pixels.

Eh, I disagree, most of the pixelart I find seems to be pretty terrible. You still need to have some artistic inclination to do good pixelart, it's just that it's much easier to actually execute it. I mean, it's definitely easier to accurately tweak a few pixels than to do the same in a region in a hi-res image. Also color count helps (e.g. with pixelart you don't need smooth gradients and can get away with bare minimum antialiasing, with hi-res artwork it's the exact opposite and it needs to come out perfect).
lai-studioguts
Level 0

Hello. Kobo would like to be your friend.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 07:44:37 PM »

I've been wondering about this myself for a while (no seriously - opened a discussion thread on reddit/r/games a few months ago with the exact same title, that for some reason instantly got downvoted).

I think low-poly has fewer of these issues.

Something that both styles have in common is that they are simplified, selectively chosen distillations of reality - unimportant details are removed (due to technical limitations, but still). That means the whole Understanding Comics chapter on cartoons applies here:

(this is only a few panels of the full chapter, obviously)

But you all knew that, because everyone here has already read Understanding Comics, right? Right?

TOTALLY WAS TRYING TO REMEMBER WHERE I HAD FIRST HEARD OF THIS CONCEPT AND I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT. Sorry for caps.
Thank you for bringing it up!  Hand Thumbs Up Right Everyone involved in visual storytelling should read Uncle Scott's series.  :D 

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 06:30:18 AM »

I rather like the style, myself, so I'd be completely fine with this. Key of Ethios was actually going to be similar long, long ago.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2014, 12:56:50 PM »

No AA. low poly only. Final Destination.
                                                   My Word!
brilliant ... Brilliant ... BRILLANT!!  Hand Clap

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2014, 01:01:29 PM »

why would you drop AA? it's about the polygons not the pixels they're rendered to

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic