Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:18:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Is low-poly with flat shaded look the new pixel art?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Is low-poly with flat shaded look the new pixel art?  (Read 32066 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2014, 01:40:40 PM »

someone didn't get the joke, he was about to talk about star fox then "no items, fox only, final destinations" reference
http://www.nintendojo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Star-Fox-Final-Destination.jpg
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 01:57:23 PM by Gimym JIMBERT » Logged

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »

Er, pretty sure it's actually Super Smash Bros (it's basically the "fairest" settings).
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »

o

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2014, 03:54:51 PM »

Er, pretty sure it's actually Super Smash Bros (it's basically the "fairest" settings).
Yes it's smash bros, I refer to the fact he was talking about star fox hence the joke about fox only, I fail to connect those facts Who, Me?

Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2014, 04:59:27 AM »

Haha Gimym I actually didn't intend to make any connection between the joke and talking about Star Fox. Also yeah I was referencing

But still I love AAless, rasterized 3D. Basically the more primitive the 3D the more erect I become.

This thread from a while ago is a goldmine if you're looking for classic 3D.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2014, 05:35:43 AM »

it's the same jokes iterated

Mauricio Gomes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2014, 09:55:01 AM »

I guess it depends on what you started with first, most of the complaints about Blender I see have to do with the interface not being like 3DS Max, rather than about actual functionality. Not like I can complain, I started with AutoCAD R14, adding each quad manually specifying the position of each vertex in the input line... (try to beat that)

Heh, I did that took (started with Acad R14), the best part was when after 4 hours of work without saving, I pressed the power button (I had a stupid keyboard where the special keys were below the delete/end/page down keys), I got so mad I hit the CPU on the side, and a memory clip detached and flew out on the other side (it was open because of cooling issues).

As for blender, it DID had a terrible interface until recently... Blender before 2.5 was just bad, and the blender community extremely defensive, they got outright agressive when you commented on their issues (I once made the mistake of commenting about the interface in a blender conference I was attending in person... baaaad idea...)

But I think all open source communities are like that, even when the devs know that something is broken (blender for example had a official document describing the interface issues, it was a PDF explaining the changes planned to 2.5 and why... if you gave that link to some fans they would swear it was fake and that the current version was perfect and that you was some noob asshole for wanting it to be different... I saw this behaviour also with GIMP, Inkscape, Linux, emacs, and so on...)

My company site: www.kidoteca.com
My blog: www.coderofworlds.com
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2014, 05:01:23 PM »

I got blender faster than 3DSmax, never got back to max. I can see why they get defensive, it's not gear toward intuition (aka horizontal skills across many software using similar interfaces) but toward efficiency, once you 'get' it everything click faster.
In fact I have issue with the new interface and still keep a version earlier than 2.5 to start some project (also because it is less bloated).

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2014, 09:39:50 AM »

Flat shading is much better than gouraud shading (at least on modern days, i think gouraud worked because crt and lo-res).

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2014, 09:47:10 AM »

Tobal 1 vs tobal 2 ...

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2014, 01:17:12 PM »

Flat shading is much better than gouraud shading (at least on modern days, i think gouraud worked because crt and lo-res).

Gouraud worked only because it was smoother than flat (something desirable for curved surfaces!), nothing else. If Phong shading was feasible to do in hardware from day one nobody would have even considered to try Gouraud.
zombieonion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2014, 07:56:03 AM »

You know you guys can also do unfiltered low-res textures on pretty low-res meshes. Like the original Quake. That gives a certain crispness to the whole thing.

My point of view is that you can instead use vertex colors, and just flat shaded meshes because they're faster. You don't have to make UVs, you don't need to paint textures. Just make your models in the 3d software, push them into the game engine, and you're done. So many steps avoided.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic