Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 09:34:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBEACON - Sci-Fi Action Roguelike
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: BEACON - Sci-Fi Action Roguelike  (Read 7005 times)
TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 16, 2014, 04:12:44 AM »

Hey folks!

I'd like to introduce Beacon to you all!

Genre: Top-down Action/Exploration roguelike with strong Sci-Fi overtones.

Developed By: Monothetic LLC

Project Members:
  • Arran Seaton (Me!): Design/Audio
  • Taychin Dunnvatanachit: Art Director/UI Design
  • Kiefen Zipf: Design/ 3D Art
  • Michael Corsaro: Gameplay Programmer
  • Joe Russell: Word Guy
  • Cory De La Torre: Shader/Particle FX Artist
  • Russ Briggeman: Character Animator/Rigger

http://beacon.monothetic.com/

What's it all about?

(hi-res: http://imgur.com/a/XEBGx)

Played from a top-down perspective, similar to The Binding of Isaac and Nuclear Throne, Beacon will have the you working your way through a series of randomly generated levels - from the forested planet surface down to a strange underground facility - eventually collecting enough materials to fix a distress beacon and get off the hostile planet that you’ve found yourself marooned on. As per usual, you’ll find new weapons and items to help you on your way, giving you new abilities and a better fighting chance against the enemies each level produces. Alongside these, you can also choose to harvest DNA fragments from the enemies you kill - and this is where we deviate a little from the more standard Roguelike structure.

Mutate your way to victory through repeated cloning.

As in all Roguelikes, when you die in Beacon, you’ll be sent back to the beginning of the game, losing any weaponry and items you might have picked up along the way. However, rather than losing it, the DNA you harvested in that life is sent back to your personal clone bay (one of the few pieces of your ship still functioning), and spliced together with your own for your next life. This adds a level of permanence to Beacon, as each subsequent life will stack more harvested DNA on top of what you had before, resulting in stat augmentations and (in extreme cases) full-fledged physical mutations. Different enemies will drop different types of DNA fragments, allowing players to experiment and begin to harvest DNA that specifically meshes well with their preferred play style - whether that’s being a slow, lumbering damage sponge or a fast, agile sharpshooter. Be warned, however; not every mutation will be a positive thing.

Hope you enjoy following our progress!
Thanks

Arran
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 05:01:31 PM by TheHollowNight » Logged

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 06:34:23 AM »

Hey, great to see Beacon on TIGForum. Will definitely be following

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 08:36:13 AM »

Hey, great to see Beacon on TIGForum. Will definitely be following

Hey hey! thanks for the support! Smiley We should have something new to show for #IndieDevHour!

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 10:32:37 AM »

Didn't have much time to grab a decent shot for #IndieDevHour but I showed off a little more of the cave entrance

Mr. Virus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 11:34:02 AM »

Saw you post on Gaf, looking real purdy so far. Can't wait to see how it turns out in the end :D!

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 11:38:40 AM »

Saw you post on Gaf, looking real purdy so far. Can't wait to see how it turns out in the end :D!

Hello fellow GAFfer! Thank you sir! Be sure to check back in this thread occasionally! I'll do my best to keep it fresh with new content Smiley Monstrum is looking great by the way!

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 02:43:31 AM »

So Tay, our Art Director responsible for the visual aesthetic of Beacon, has revealed one of the first enemy designs!

Check it out:

We'll be detailing in depth the creation process of some of the enemy designs in the coming weeks!

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 03:11:29 AM »

Wow ! The screenshots look really great, especially the one with the waterfall. And the mutating mechanics sounds interesting. Looking forward to more updates.

The art reminds me a little bit of another game on TIG, Otherworld : http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=39627.

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 03:16:35 AM »

Wow ! The screenshots look really great, especially the one with the waterfall. And the mutating mechanics sounds interesting. Looking forward to more updates.

The art reminds me a little bit of another game on TIG, Otherworld : http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=39627.

Thanks for the kind words Smiley

And wow, I've genuinely never heard of this game before now, looks really great! I can definitely see what you mean! Especially the concepts!

Oxeren
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 03:43:52 AM »

Concept sounds interesting, and art is cool.
So if this DNA changes are permanent, will they only upgrade your character, or will some "wrong" DNA be able to mess your stats up?

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 05:00:45 AM »

Concept sounds interesting, and art is cool.
So if this DNA changes are permanent, will they only upgrade your character, or will some "wrong" DNA be able to mess your stats up?

Mostly correct yeah. As you begin to stack harvested DNA it will apply stat boosts to your character. After a certain point if you've harvested enough of one DNA type you will hit a milestone of sorts, which permanently changes the appearance/ability of the character by causing a mutation to occur. More rarely than not, a negative mutation can develop, essentially a de-buff.

There is no 'bad' DNA in the game as such, it's mainly more about how you decide on gathering certain amounts & gambling the risk of causing a mutation. It's totally up to the player to mix and match to even out attributes or experiment with the more unusual strands. You build towards your preferred play-style.

Building upon your base character is essential, as the progression of the game introduces tougher enemies and obstacles further along, that will prove highly challenging if you play conservatively.  

You can always reset your clone back to a clean copy though, should you want to try something new. For purists, the 'ultimate' run would be to beat the game with no DNA harvesting whatsoever Tongue

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:09:20 AM by TheHollowNight » Logged

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 08:32:07 AM »

I have a new update to coincide with Screenshot Saturday!

Firstly, Check out some of the music I've been working on:

https://soundcloud.com/beacon-ost/prism-facility-bgm-boss
https://soundcloud.com/beacon-ost/prism-facility-bgm-001
https://soundcloud.com/beacon-ost/loot-room-1-forest-alcove

(I'd embed these properly into the page If I knew how :/)

Tay has also been working on some more of the caverns tileset:

Hi-res link here: http://i.imgur.com/Qsyd9hI.jpg

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 10:35:25 AM »

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've posted here! We've got plenty of new updates that I want to stagger over the next few days, just so that it isn't one giant update Smiley

Today's post is going to be about the creation process of Freja, our main character. This is being posted on behalf of Tay, our art director on the game!

---------------------------------------------------------------

DESIGNING FREJA

Right off the bat, I wanted to make the protagonist a female character. While this doesn’t really have much of an impact - if any - on how the game plays, it does have an impact outside of the mechanics. In a way, I feel like the lack of mechanical changes is exactly why I wanted our protagonist to be a woman. After all, her gender should have minimal impact on gameplay. We’re not approaching this decision as if women are a different species, with their own discrete attributes. This decision was very much a non-issue with the rest of the team, and we went ahead without much deliberation or any major objections. It was a collective feeling that we'd all seen too many male 'space marine brotagonists' in the leading role, and felt it was nice to switch it up for once.

With the most basic brainstorms out of the way, I then went into the task of actually designing a character. Surprisingly, the design process went much faster than I was expecting. Generally speaking, I tend to stop working on a design after roughly four major iterations. This may seem like heresy to many artists, but I personally find that there’s a point during the iterative cycle after which any changes become almost arbitrary. I’ve been whittling down the amount of iterations I impose on myself per piece over the past few years in an attempt to become more focused on the core design. As a result, most of Beacon’s concept art and design came to a near-final stage within just a few days or, in a few cases, even hours.

Freja was envisioned as a kind of roguish mercenary, currently working with an interstellar corporation as a “Sec-Runner”. Essentially a scout sent ahead of larger security forces, she is routinely found in dangerous situations, tasked with scoping out and reporting back situations before the brunt of the main force arrives. Her backstory really took shape while we were still developing the art for her, so nothing was concrete when I began sketching the first few lines. In the end, the art did as much to influence her personality and character as the backstory.

The original aesthetic that I envisioned was intended to be more along the lines of clunky 70s sci-fi; In the same vein of Alien and 2001: A Space Odyssey, everything has a very analog feel to them. However, as the design progressed everything slowly became sleeker, which is a recurring trend with all my work (and something that will become very apparent as I begin to make more posts about our artistic process).

I usually start a design with a particular geometric shape in mind, and work from there. For the first iteration of Freja, the shape in question was a truncated icosahedron - essentially a polygonal soccer ball. I spent some time trying to work the shape into her design somehow, before eventually just sticking it on her head like some sort of weird astronaut helmet. While the idea seemed cool at first, and some of the team gave a positive response, I thought it just looked too goofy and playful - less like a seasoned mercenary, and more like a walking fish tank.

After leaving the design for a few hours, I came back and revised it into something completely different (another throughline in all of my art lately). I’d adopted a workflow where I would draw something, and even if I felt satisfied with the result I would leave it for a few hours or a day and come back to it. A surprising amount of the time, I would be like “Wow, what was I thinking?” and redo everything into a (hopefully) much more coherent design.

The primary references for her final design came from biking attire; her helmet resembling that of a biker’s, her pants more fitting, and her sleeves resembling a puffy 80s leather jacket, to retain some of that original “retro” feel we were going for. I also bulked her upper body to make her more intimidating, and as a final touch let her ponytail hang from the back of her helmet - a decision that will haunt me and our prospective animators for life. Still, I figured it would help convey her movement in animation and make her more fun to look at, even though its probably a terrible idea to let your long hair hang out while heading into a combat situation.

After her basic look was decided, I did several color variations and our team voted on which one they preferred - we also tested which one will read best against all sorts of background environment. And boom, here she is today - hopefully, you’ll get to see her in action soon!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow I will post an image roundup of tons of stuff we've been working on, including some nice fancy gifs!

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 04:47:52 PM »

Hello everyone! Today as promised will be a recent screenshot roundup of a mixture of in game screenies, concept art & gifs!

Enjoy!

Hi Res: http://i.imgur.com/bmm09B4.png

Hi Res: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7082026/Bastille/OverView_OnyxRuin1.jpg

Hi Res: http://i.imgur.com/dPO00x8.jpg

Hi Res: http://i.imgur.com/SuZmYeK.jpg

Hi Res: http://i.imgur.com/nqMLgPf.jpg

GIFs!

These are all very WIP since we have yet to find an animator Sad, but you get the jist of the combat hopefully!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:53:23 PM by TheHollowNight » Logged

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 05:42:09 PM »

That some sick scarf/hair physics. Loving the chromatic aberration on the concept art, hope it's in the game too.

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 09:47:23 AM »

That some sick scarf/hair physics. Loving the chromatic aberration on the concept art, hope it's in the game too.

Haha thanks! I don't think the hair will whip round quite so excessively once we get Freja properly animated!
We will definitely be experimenting with some post process fx when we get the time though!

atsiitech
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 10:28:38 AM »

Always happy to see more Sci-fi. It sounds interesting and looks really good!

kingdinosaurgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 10:30:25 AM »

Great artwork, the style meshes so well with the theme - very impressive

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 10:47:12 AM »

Always happy to see more Sci-fi. It sounds interesting and looks really good!

Great artwork, the style meshes so well with the theme - very impressive

Thanks guys! Glad you like it so far :D I'll be posting another update tonight on behalf of our writer Joe regarding narrative and how we are going to include it into the ambient storytelling of the world. Stay tuned!

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 03:23:31 PM »

Hi again! Posting on behalf of our writer Joe, in which I've interspersed some new pictures especially for this post Smiley

---------------------

TELLING A STORY, AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN

Roguelikes are built around the idea of repeating a journey through a randomly generated world, with that journey often as not ending in the player’s death. Obviously, this isn’t the ideal way to tell a linear story. Even more so, a character-driven story centered around a repeatedly-dead player character.

To help with this, in Beacon we’re attempting to keep that death loop as part of the game’s narrative, cloning Freja each time she dies and placing her back at her crashed ship to try again. By doing this we’re allowing a story to build naturally from the successes and failures of the players themselves. The amount of times Freja has been cloned is something we’re aiming to track and give feedback on as the game progresses.

Filling in some of the backstory to the world is another problem. In roguelikes such as Rogue Legacy and FTL, story segments drop at random points throughout the game. It’s a nice approach, and works well within the framework of a roguelike. Yet a problem arises when the game is so repeatable. Due to the limits of how much content can be written for a game, at a certain point the story segments will begin to repeat. In games like FTL, this is less of a major concern. Not only because they don’t attempt any kind of narrative persistence from game to game, but because they have tied the content to gameplay events. So, even if the introductory text is the same, the actual scenario can play out differently.

In Beacon, we’re implementing a ‘mementos’ system. These will be rare objects dropped throughout the game, which will offer a small amount of descriptive text. This might be on the item itself, the larger game world, or a look into Freja’s memories or associations surrounding the item. To avoid the player picking up the same memento more than once, we remove each item from the potential spawn pool once collected. You can then access them again through the game’s menus. These mementos will also have a slightly more dynamic aspect to them, which ties into the core gameplay loop. We’re hoping you’ll discover what exactly that entails once you get your hands on the game yourselves.

We’ve also placed an emphasis on ambient storytelling within the game environments. Having random level generation means that we can’t rely on this approach too much, at least to tell any kind of sequential story, but it’s a great tool to tell small self-contained stories that hint at the wider world. In the coming weeks, we’re hoping to have another look at the random generation in Beacon, so we’ll hopefully return to this in greater detail then.

We’re still a way off having all the answers. After all, by keeping one game mechanic rooted in the narrative of the story, the omission of others - such as procedurally generated content - becomes more noticeable. How are we going to explain the changing level layouts, if we’re maintaining that Freja’s journey is one long unbroken chain? There’s still a lot to figure out, but it’s an interesting and engaging problem to be faced with.

------------

Bonus level gen gif :D

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:33:59 PM by TheHollowNight » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic