Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 01:13:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBEACON - Sci-Fi Action Roguelike
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: BEACON - Sci-Fi Action Roguelike  (Read 7014 times)
TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 05:37:50 AM »

Hello everybody!

It's been a long time since I've been on TigSource, apologies for my absence!
I am currently in the process of leaving the studio I've been at for almost the last 2 years, WHILST the game I worked on is in the final submission process before release, so it's all been a bit manic & I don't know if I'm going to make it out alive.

Also the BEACON team has been incredibly hard at work whilst it probably looks like I've been slacking, adding lots of new gameplay stuff that I promise we will try to show off properly soon.
Big news is the mutation system we have is currently being worked on, which is super exciting (and also darn crucial to the game!).

Here's a little sneak peak of the DNA sequence screen you're presented with after death:

(Hi-res): http://i.imgur.com/735djWl.jpg

I don't want to give too much context into this just yet, but it also serves as a good example of our updated UI!

But the MAIN thing I'm here to talk about is how Beacon has now transitioned to 3D!
Yes, it's a pretty major thing, but the benefits greatly outweigh the potential new risks for the team as a whole, our workflow and the design of the game. It's only taken us a few weeks to get it back up and running. A lot of art needs to be ported over, but we've actually made significant gameplay/programming progress, so it sort of offsets any time lost on art creation.

We have a blog post on our site detailing the initial premise surrounding the situation, but I will be hoping to make a long technical post about everything related to the transition.

http://devblog.monothetic.com/post/97957609155/a-whole-new-dimension

Anyways here's a shot! (more at the devblog):

(Hi-res): http://i.imgur.com/GoGcRvj.jpg

We'll be back to our normal update schedule from now on, so please be sure to keep checking back!
Thanks again! Smiley
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 05:43:28 AM by TheHollowNight » Logged

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 09:32:02 AM »

Hello wonderful people! 
I'm here to bring you a new entry into our devblog. This weekend it's all about UI! Tay, our creative director has written some lovely words detailing his process.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTERFACING CONNECTION

Hey guys, it’s Tay again,
In case you’ve forgotten who I am, I’m the guy responsible for the overall aesthetic of Beacon, or more formally the creative director. This means everything from concept art, website design, PR materials, 3D assets, and interface design, the last of which we’ll be looking at today.

I originally started out not doing any interface design whatsoever - as a matter of fact, I was focused on becoming an environment artist - but as I found myself on smaller teams, my role began to expand and I discovered how much fun it can be. I wouldn’t go so far as to say I excel in it, but I’ve definitely become more comfortable working in this space.
What is interface design, you ask? It’s not all just about your health bar or a compass telling you where your next objective is, although we’ll be focusing on that application today. Interface design encompasses almost every aspect of interactivity that the player can engage in. This can be anything from how a button behaves when pressed, to how certain information is relayed to the player using the game’s visuals; for example, increasing the size of the player’s arms to indicate higher strength, etc. A video game is essentially an elaborate interactive interface - with the user on one end and his/her input being transferred to the game world. In essentia, a video game without an interface in this sense would be no different than a movie.

Today, we’re going to talk about how the interface design, particularly in terms of UI (user interface), came to be for Beacon. I don’t really have a super solid workflow (still), and creating a certain asset could take me weeks or hours, depending on how inspired I am at the time.

*Important disclaimer - some of the images included below are mockups, and will not reflect the finished state of the game’s UI*

When working with UI, I always start out looking at the function of the item. Function should dictate design, giving us certain parameters to work inside and a concrete goal to work towards. It’s my belief that designing within constraints usually produces the most efficient and innovative results.

I begin by having some meetings with the programmers and designers so that I have a base to work from. After the basics are nailed down, and we know what we need the UI to achieve, I set about drawing a couple of sketches, and occasionally creating a UX (user experience) flowchart, usually on Google Drive so that the team can comment on it and inform iterations as we go. Collaboration and dialog is key in this stage, as other people may provide input that can solve issues you never knew were present.

Base UX flowchart as seen in Google Drive

Now I go about gathering some references. For Beacon I wanted to aim for a retro 70s-80s lo-fi aesthetic with a really analogue feel for the UI, though not necessarily for the game as a whole. This was more or less an excuse for me to indulge in re-watching my favorite films. I watched Blade Runner, Alien, Aliens, and Independence Day, and ended up getting some pretty cool shots of their UI for reference. Ultimately, I decided on something a bit of a cross between Aliens and ID4 - the cells in Aliens turret interface really looked cool and I took the more modern font from ID4 instead of going pure DOS. The initial results are shown below.

The ‘cells’ from Aliens’ turret interface

Sleeker retro typeface from Independence Day

Original hud iteration

While the initial feedback from the team was positive, I felt the cells made it a bit cluttered. As it happens, this would prove to be the case later on. The fact that I stuck in a dark semi-opaque background to make the text pop more did not help the matter.

We held off the immediate implementation of the UI in-game as Unity’s new UI update was imminent, and we were hoping it would make the whole process a lot more tolerable. On its arrival I immediately went to work, gleefully inserting components and assets into the game to mimic the mockups I made, almost to the letter, and a few days later Mike hooked up the basics in-game. Well, guess what, after a few weeks we all started to feel that the UI in its current state was unnecessarily obstructive and so back to the drawing board I went.

A mockup of cell-based ‘enemy database’

I’m never one to shy away from redoing things if something didn’t work the first time, so I went back to the UI with gusto. This involved rampaging through the entire design, cutting everything back down to the basics. I removed the black background and the containing cells - although the latter remained in structural but invisible form, as you can see below. Organizing UI into grids is nothing new, but it is a practice that works. Using this method gives the UI a uniform look as well as keeping things organized.

New base UI - much cleaner!

Old UI for the character’s statistics in comparison with the newer version below:

his is right about the time when we started programming our mutation system, which is super exciting. In case you have no idea what I am talking about, in Beacon, when you kill an enemy there is a small chance for them to drop some DNA. There are several types of DNA of increasing rarity, the type of which reflects the enemy that dropped it. When you die (and oh, you will definitely die, my sweet prince) you can ‘reconstitute’ yourself, essentially creating your clone in the clone bay to start over again. However, during this reconstitution process you’ll have the option to splice in some of the enemy DNA that you’ve recovered, to improve/modify your stats. Depending on certain parameters, this process can even go on to cause mutations, which give you unique abilities. This is all very crazy stuff which I’m sure we’ll go into with a full-fledged blog post soon enough. Armed with this knowledge, I hope the pictures below are less cryptic.

DNA distribution page, before you sequence your genome for your next build

We had a really nice design flow going for this one. I actually physically sat down next to our game designer, Kiefen ,and our programmer, Mike and hashed it out together.

Well, that’s that for our current state of UI - I’m really sorry that I couldn’t have provided some mockup gifs in regards as to how those will animate. I’m on a rather crappy laptop at the moment, having just moved to Thailand, and my PC is still weeks away in a shipping container somewhere. I’ll tweet them as soon as I have them, I promise.

Which reminds me, you should totally follow our official twitter account for round-the-clock updates of our shenanigans, big or small. If you like my short ramblings here, be sure to follow my blog where I post weird pondering pictures with no text, and my twitter, where I do most of the same.

Deaaaaath

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 06:05:25 PM »

i've added some updated shots to the OP, which you can also find below!:

HughSJ
Level 1

'allo there

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 06:36:52 PM »

You guys have a fantastic aesthetic. We ended going for a super greebly/grungy style with Brigador in order to take full advantage of working with sprites, but I've always enjoyed a more smooth, careful considered style. I've got your tumblr bookmarked and will give it a proper readthrough tomorrow. I'm honestly surprised this is the first time I've seen any of your guys' stuff floating around, looks great.

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 04:13:21 PM »

You guys have a fantastic aesthetic. We ended going for a super greebly/grungy style with Brigador in order to take full advantage of working with sprites, but I've always enjoyed a more smooth, careful considered style. I've got your tumblr bookmarked and will give it a proper readthrough tomorrow. I'm honestly surprised this is the first time I've seen any of your guys' stuff floating around, looks great.

Thanks! I know we're well acquainted now on Twitter, but I appreciate the comment Smiley

Also, Landmines are almost finished! These are traps designed to catch the player in the heat of battle, but also can be triggered tactically by the player themselves to deal damage on enemies!

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2014, 05:05:39 PM »

Could you please post full-res pngs? I want to see it all in detail. Smiley

I love the newer greenish light glow tint and the ground fog and all the new little aesthetic effects. For me it sort of makes the lowpoly/triangular ground very out of place now. I'm not sure if it's a normal map or just some quads with a noise filter, but it doesn't fit in well/it's too uniform imo.

Loving it though, love that HUD. Are there going to be more environments than the current one? I could imagine it getting stale just walking on the pillar things for the whole game with the same orange trees.

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 03:30:54 PM »

Soooo. We have a big round up this weekend of a variety of stuff, including music, art and new screenshots!

We are doing a bunch of 'trading card' posters for each of the common enemies in each faction, slowly unveiling more as we march towards a release. And then we'll be adding to the format with lots of secret embedded information or QR links once we have a dedicated website for the game. We're also putting together a special 'catalogue' of stuff in the game over christmas as a teaser Tongue

We've begun to really flesh out the landmarks for each faction, adding more variety in the bases, more traps, barriers, secret loot areas, you name it. We've also been working to add more verticality to the game, as seen in the first screenshot, where some areas have the potential to spawn an elevator to secret areas.

Finally, I've been working away at some new music for the game!
https://soundcloud.com/beacon-ost/main-menu-theme

More images and info can be found at out main blog:
http://devblog.monothetic.com/post/104613057535/a-good-ol-fashioned-roundup
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 03:37:53 PM by TheHollowNight » Logged

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 04:13:54 PM »

Hey everyone!
It's been a loooong time since I've posted, but I have a (not very) justifiable reason.
Progress on the game has been pretty great. We managed to find a character animator last month, our website is ready to launch sometime this month, and tons of stuff has been in development.

The biggest news of all is Beacon will be playable VERY SOON. In fact, we have been selected to demo the game at EGX Rezzed next week, as part of the Leftfield Collection!

This is a massive opportunity for us to get the game into the public's hands early and also get to grips with managing the public side of the company. This is our first ever event, so we're super excited and nervous. We hope to release that demo to anyone in the community who's interested, shortly after EGX (once we've acquired feedback, cleaned up the build some more, etc).

So right now, we're in full promotional swing, with lots of new fantastic concept art by Tay.

Some of the Shorateiku Faction weapons that will be appearing in the EGX build:

And finally a selection of updated in-game screenshots and gifs!

Animations!

Stay tuned for more stuff!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:39:12 PM by TheHollowNight » Logged

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 05:45:59 PM »

Been following this on Twitter for awhile. You guys are progressing great.

Glad to see you got an animator on board. I was going to offer my services for 2D animation back in the day but you swapped to 3D and unfortunately, not my forte haha. New stuff looks great.

wizardfu
Level 2

Nathanael Weiss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 07:44:53 PM »

Looking, really, really good! Followed.

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2015, 01:01:20 PM »

Been following this on Twitter for awhile. You guys are progressing great.

Glad to see you got an animator on board. I was going to offer my services for 2D animation back in the day but you swapped to 3D and unfortunately, not my forte haha. New stuff looks great.

Aww, darn. Well, I'm glad you were interested enough to want to help! Yeah we are mostly 3D artists in the team, so it was becoming a little unwieldy for us to manage sticking to 2D! Thanks though Smiley

Looking, really, really good! Followed.

Thank you! Really appreciate the support, especially when we're sort of freaking out for the event next week!
I return not empty handed though, here's another rad illustration Tay has for the site!

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 04:36:44 PM »

Another small update today :D
Our animator is super fast at animating, so now we have some scary-ass animated droids ready for EGX Rezzed!

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2015, 10:13:34 PM »

Hello again peeps!
I wanted to share some new screenshots & music from the EGX build, which we're polishing up as we speak!
We've also got a new post on our devblog detailing the process for modelling one of our enemies, which you can check out here:

http://devblog.monothetic.com/post/112964526565/modelling-for-beacon

Here's one of the newest songs for the forest levels. It needs some mastering/mixing, but it's fine for demo purposes.

https://soundcloud.com/axionmusic/act-01-forest-002

Three mid-action screenshots!

And finally, another wonderful illustration by Tay for the website:

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 05:48:22 AM »

Gorgeous work as always. Do you guys have plans for alternating or varied environments?

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2015, 06:17:39 AM »

You have a lot of nice looking menus!

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2015, 06:39:25 AM »

Gorgeous work as always. Do you guys have plans for alternating or varied environments?

Thank you Smiley
We do! So the forest is just one 'Act' of the game. Each Act is broken down into about 3 or themed versions that can generate. First level is always a mix of each faction/landmarks, then the second level will always be either mostly Occult or Solus orientated, with unique art/enemies/traps to compliment that. Then the final forest level is Prism themed, with much more tech appearing, new turrets, bridges etc.

Act 2 is set inside the Prism security facility, with various themed floors.
Act 3 involves some of our late game enemies, the Starborn, for which we haven't really figured out a theme for them yet.

There's also lots of endgame stuff we want to incorporate, lore and backstory that will only become apparent once beating the game a first time (much like Binding of Isaac). Access to a whole new range of weapons/items and basically lots of secrets. We have the ability to teleport the player to bonus loot areas/gauntlets, boss battle rooms, which should give the player glimpses of what's to come! We have a long road ahead, but I reckon we can start showing off the Prism facility in a few months time Smiley

You have a lot of nice looking menus!

Cheers! It really helps that Tay is not only an illustrator, but also an interface/graphic designer, so not only our art looks great, so does the UI. He's actually a bit of a master of everything, annoyingly Tongue But it's really beneficial for us, to have a team who's multi-disciplined.

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 03:06:42 PM »

Sometimes I wonder how come I've been missing topics like this for so long.... Really great job here guys.  Cool

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
Mixer
Level 1

I've never really known what to put here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 10:06:35 PM »

The graphics in this are superb!  Gentleman Animations and art are fantastic, and UI is looking very nice indeed. I really like the glow everything has, very cool.
I don't know what else to say, this is just incredible and needs more attention from tigsource Wink

My twitter is @5Mixer.
I'm currently making a dungeon game, check it out :D
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59139.0
TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2015, 12:42:49 AM »

Sometimes I wonder how come I've been missing topics like this for so long.... Really great job here guys.  Cool

Haha. Well thank you for discovering us regardless, I admit I've been unaware of some of the incredible projects that exist on this site, when they've been sitting there right in front of your face the whole time. Thank you for the kind words though Smiley

The graphics in this are superb!  Gentleman Animations and art are fantastic, and UI is looking very nice indeed. I really like the glow everything has, very cool.
I don't know what else to say, this is just incredible and needs more attention from tigsource Wink

Wow, that's very high praise, thank you! When we get the demo into the hands of the public (aka you guys!) I really hope the positivity carries over. We know what we're showing at EGX is going to be rough and janky. We took it upon ourselves to just throw the game out into the wild because we were presented the opportunity. But it's made the team work harder than ever. And we're already laser-focused on what we want to clean up once the madness of exhibiting at events entails. But hopefully everyone will get to play it before the month is over :D

With that being said, we did finally launch our website!

http://beacon.monothetic.com/

I'm really, really impressed with the work Joe and Tay did to make this. I hope you folks enjoy checking it out!

TheHollowNight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »

So! EGX is over! And we had a fantastic time. We had almost unanimous positive feedback. Everybody loved the visuals and music, and more surprisingly to us, had decent fun with the combat/gameplay. We knew the combat was the roughest aspect, since it's so early into development, but it went smoother than expected. A few crashes here and there and some weird bugs, but nothing catastrophic.

We had a handful of good constructive criticism to take away, mainly providing a little more objective to each level (which we're going to solve with a map that updates as you explore, similar to Teleglitch). Other small tidbits here and there, but I'll save that for our full post-mortem of the event.

Here's some photos!

We met a bunch of great developers at the event, the vibe and atmosphere was super chill and relaxing. Thanks to everyone who came and played Beacon and chatted to us! I'm looking forward to exhibiting the game soon in the near future!

We'll be releasing the demo in the next month or so, so stay tuned!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic