Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 04:13:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallBest game evar released!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Best game evar released!  (Read 16909 times)
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2009, 05:31:09 PM »

http://crypticsea.blogspot.com/

its called You dont have to burn the rope, and its amazing.

alex made it a few min ago.. i had to share.
-Edmund
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 05:38:31 PM »

I... think I won. Huh?

The-Imp
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 05:38:59 PM »

Corny Laugh
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 05:45:30 PM »

Is this some sort of statement about "You Have To Burn The Rope" being an Innovation Award finalist?

I wouldn't really know, I can't run "You don't have to burn the rope", by the way, runtime error, etc.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 07:04:03 PM »

Hmmm... Sounds like a sore loser, from his comment in the blog. I could be wrong, it's just how he sounds.

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 07:13:38 PM »

A New Zero looks cool  Durr...?
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 07:15:22 PM »

I lol'd

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 07:20:10 PM »

This is pretty rad.  Any chances on a sequel?
Levin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 07:36:14 AM »

cheap shot, man  Grin
                              Hand Shake Left
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 07:43:19 AM »

Hmmm... Sounds like a sore loser, from his comment in the blog. I could be wrong, it's just how he sounds.

Wasn't You Have To Burn The Rope a bitter commentary itself on how Portal was successful despite being a spoon-fed puzzle with a catchy tune at the end?

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 07:57:54 AM »

No, I don't think so - a number of people read into it that way though.

Alex's game is pretty stupid.

Movius
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 08:05:03 AM »

http://crypticsea.blogspot.com/

its called You dont have to burn the rope, and its amazing.

alex made it a few min ago.. i had to share.
-Edmund
This alex is a true man of art.

Note the cunning use of the white square on black and the use of the English language. Few in this medium are capable of such meaningful expression.
Zolyx
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 08:26:21 AM »

OMG I'm stuck, I can't figure out how to get the secret ending where it displays an arrow-shaped object instead of the insightful congratulations message?? Plzz help!!!1! Addicted

Mostly harmless indie gamer
Zolyx.co.uk :: The Minecraft Museum
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 08:30:14 AM »

Wasn't You Have To Burn The Rope a bitter commentary itself on how Portal was successful despite being a spoon-fed puzzle with a catchy tune at the end?

According to Kian himself, YHTBTR was just a stupid idea about making a game with no point, because it was funny. He didn't think anyone else would actually play it.

mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 10:41:45 AM »

I agree. The cryptic sea guys are excellent at courting controversy. It seems to be one of their primary PR tactics, and while its not something I really agree with, it seems to have served them well, so I don't see any reason for them to stop.
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 12:08:35 PM »

I was always assuming that it was just a translation of the much older browser game Quest for the Crown, into the platforming genre.

I'm a little baffled at the "Innovation" nomination as well, but whatever.  Smiley
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 01:08:59 PM »

I agree. The cryptic sea guys are excellent at courting controversy. It seems to be one of their primary PR tactics, and while its not something I really agree with, it seems to have served them well, so I don't see any reason for them to stop.

how so?
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 03:33:26 PM »

I was always assuming that it was just a translation of the much older browser game Quest for the Crown, into the platforming genre.

I'm a little baffled at the "Innovation" nomination as well, but whatever.  Smiley
I never liked burn the rope that much. Sure it's a satirical poke at the current trend in video games, but it had such low production values and was so blasted short that it was hardly a game. More of a digital toy. Heck, I think I spend more time checking out the credits than I did playing the game the first time because I expected something, ANYTHING more than that.

So I didn't like the game in the first place, but then there's the IGN nomination. Way to set the bar, guys. Practically just laid it on the ground. Why not just put a banner on your site that says "minimum spec = Viral". It's a wonder Super Obama World didn't get a nod too.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 03:59:54 PM »

how so?

I guess I was really just referring to C*nt, which upon reconsideration, wasn't actually a cryptic sea release. So rather than trying to debate that point, I'll let it go. I am just a very conflict-averse person, so I find the attack (which I guess is really just a parody, but due to its timing, is easily interpreted as an attack) on another indie developer disappointing. While I agree that, perhaps YHTBTR didn't deserve the award for innovation, in my mind it doesn't reflect well on you guys that this is how you deal with your game not being picked. Rather than complimenting the up and coming developers who really do deserve these awards you guys chose to pick on the one developer who's game isn't quite up to your standards.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 04:33:32 PM by mrfredman » Logged
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 04:39:47 PM »

I never liked burn the rope that much. Sure it's a satirical poke at the current trend in video games, but it had such low production values and was so blasted short that it was hardly a game. More of a digital toy. Heck, I think I spend more time checking out the credits than I did playing the game the first time because I expected something, ANYTHING more than that.

So I didn't like the game in the first place, but then there's the IGN nomination. Way to set the bar, guys. Practically just laid it on the ground. Why not just put a banner on your site that says "minimum spec = Viral". It's a wonder Super Obama World didn't get a nod too.
As someone who thinks YHTBTR is absolutely brilliant, I still don't understand the backlash against it.  I mean, if it's not your sense of humour then fine, but for me that was probably the funniest game I've ever played; it's literally had me on the floor a couple of times.  The simplicity isn't a problem, and given what the game was about I don't think the low-polish was much of a problem either (and guys, come on, there are piles of games with FAR lower polish than YHTBTR).  Really, I think YHTBTR is all about sense of humour and taste, and if you don't "get it," while enough other people do, then there's some natural bitterness there/"these guys are idiots for liking this."

So yeah, I think it totally deserves the innovation award because it does innovate; innovation in gaming really should look like something that's hardly "gaming as we know it," and I think YHTBTR qualifies as that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic