Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 11:18:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallBest game evar released!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Best game evar released!  (Read 16922 times)
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2009, 05:35:30 PM »

OK, as someone who is still pretty low on the indie development "ladder" this is sort of killing my motivations big time. Seriously. I mean, I slave away hours over hours learning to make good games and will probably spend several more years till I ever manage to create something on the level of Iji. And even more years to create something that would be worth the IGF. (Most of this learning stuff is sadly not very fun and it takes some time till you actually get around to do the stuff you are imagining where it begins to be fun. Hence the slaving, before someone goes "Don't do games if you don't like it".)

But some guy who thought "Huh, that'd be sort of cool." on his way home from work (At least that's how it would happen to me) and then spends at most a few weeks on creating it gets into the IGF finals just like that?

I mean, yes, of course it's not the effort you put into the game that counts. At least as long as you're not Bob. But what kind of MESSAGE does this deliver?

"Oh, yes your game is bringing elements into gaming that simply weren't existing before, has an interesting concept and plays and looks absolutely great, but this guy here was being witty and a lot of people seem to like it, so we're going with him instead."

This kind of stuff makes me wonder "Why even bother?" sometimes. I know this makes it sound a lot like I'm only doing games for recognition, but come on. How are people like me ever supposed to get anywhere when all it takes to push you into obscurity is some witty flash game? Most IGF games will probably be forgotten about in a few months, but the finalist and winners will probably be featured in the "Top 100 Indie game" lists till forever.

Besides, if the author of the game really just did the game for shits and giggles, isn't it some sort of asshole-move to knowingly submit it to the IGF? Or did he just do that for shits and giggles, too?

YDHTBR may be a bit silly, but it got a very good point.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 05:39:09 PM by Don Andy » Logged
c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2009, 06:40:21 PM »

It's like giving an emmy to "Jizz in my Pants"

This.

How about we also throw in a Grammy for good measure?

JJJJJizzzed in my pants!

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2009, 07:19:24 PM »

You guys are just bitter.  He may have made the game as a joke, but it's a very poignant and well executed one.  It IS innovative, whether or not some of you want it to be.  I'm completely serious when I call that game the pinnacle of parody in video games; give me a better executed example and we'll talk.  There are a lot of things that haven't truly made their way into video games yet (or, made their way into video games well), and this is an example of one of those things, parody, being executed flawlessly.  If any of you could go and make a truly excellent game that only exists as satire, and not just a game that contains satire (and I'm talking old school British gentleman satire, the really hard hitting stuff), then you'd probably have a good shot at an IGF nomination too.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2009, 07:44:01 PM »

Why are you trying to compare YHTBTR to Iji? YHTBTR was just an amusing short game. And it may be remembered for a long time just because of how very amusing it was, but it's still just a short, memorable break from the usual tedium. Iji is a game that people remember because it was really, really good.

Why would you be discouraged by YHTBTR? It might end up on one or two "top game" lists, but that's not going to last. To make a really good game like Iji, you can't just slide by a joke. You have to dedicate yourself.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2009, 07:53:28 PM »

Right, architekt, except as far as I know the game isn't actually meant to be satire or parody.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2009, 09:33:43 PM »

I'm completely serious when I call that game the pinnacle of parody in video games; give me a better executed example and we'll talk.

ARFENHOUSE!!!1 3!!!!!!!

Yes, that is a game. And yes, it's a better parody game than YhtBtR.

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2009, 09:55:37 PM »

I've never heard of it, so you may very well be right rinku.  Smiley
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2009, 09:58:51 PM »

Oh? It's legendary in the Ohrrpgce community and one of the few games very popular outside of it.

http://www.disasterlabs.com/index.php?sec=ah3

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2009, 12:12:52 AM »

Speaking of insults, I'd like to let Greg-Anims know that he just got majorly insulted (a little bit past the middle).

I'm so very sorry to derail, but the writer of that long, long, long rage on lack of art created stuff like This:
http://ailime.deviantart.com/art/Your-skirt-is-too-short-81532464

and:
http://ailime.deviantart.com/art/Chtulhu-Puffball-99810063

Which can... be purchased as a t-shirt. For their, eh, "Hardcore Fans".

Though, I suppose you can be part of the problem whilst critiquing it.

ON TOPIC: I really dug YhtBtR, I was amused. But an IGF nomination... I dunno. Though, Architekt makes a valid point. ALSO: People who don't even play independent games talk to me about it. As part of a conversation. They all seem to like it.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2009, 11:16:47 PM »

I take it that nomination grated against you.
No, I actually love Satire. I'm glad that the game industry isn't so far up its own ass that it can't make fun of itself.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
genericuser
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2009, 07:47:07 AM »

architekt:

Creating a flawless game becomes harder along with the size of the game you're planning to create. YHTBTR has about a minute or two of gameplay. As for the "well-executed satire"; yes, the game was funny, but it had about...2 jokes, at most.

IMO submitting it is like nominating a joke for a literary award. It might be short, fun, and good, but it's still a kick in the face to the people who spend a lot of effort doing it.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2009, 10:36:50 AM »

architekt:

Creating a flawless game becomes harder along with the size of the game you're planning to create. YHTBTR has about a minute or two of gameplay. As for the "well-executed satire"; yes, the game was funny, but it had about...2 jokes, at most.

IMO submitting it is like nominating a joke for a literary award. It might be short, fun, and good, but it's still a kick in the face to the people who spend a lot of effort doing it.
And nominated this year for literary innovation is the brilliant "Q: How many blonde jokes are there? A: One. The rest are all true stories."

@Don Andy: I think you're making the same point I was a while back. If every viral flash game his considered on par with games that took a lot more effort.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2009, 10:49:24 AM »

You guys are just bitter.  He may have made the game as a joke, but it's a very poignant and well executed one.  It IS innovative, whether or not some of you want it to be.  I'm completely serious when I call that game the pinnacle of parody in video games; give me a better executed example and we'll talk.  There are a lot of things that haven't truly made their way into video games yet (or, made their way into video games well), and this is an example of one of those things, parody, being executed flawlessly.  If any of you could go and make a truly excellent game that only exists as satire, and not just a game that contains satire (and I'm talking old school British gentleman satire, the really hard hitting stuff), then you'd probably have a good shot at an IGF nomination too.

Sam & Max: Reality 2.0

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2009, 11:42:50 AM »

I think Achievement Unlocked is a better parody game than YHTBTR, because it actually draws the player in. The player knows that what he's doing is dumb, but he's addicted anyway. And that's what gives AU its punch. It's the fact that players are addicted even at the same time that they know its ludicrous. So it actually validates achievements, while at the same time taking a jab at them.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2009, 11:52:42 AM »

I think Achievement Unlocked is a better parody game than YHTBTR, because it actually draws the player in. The player knows that what he's doing is dumb, but he's addicted anyway. And that's what gives AU its punch. It's the fact that players are addicted even at the same time that they know its ludicrous. So it actually validates achievements, while at the same time taking a jab at them.
Touche to the dolphin boy. An excellent point.

Follow me on twitter
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2009, 12:11:53 PM »

I'm so very sorry to derail, but the writer of that long, long, long rage on lack of art created stuff like This:
http://ailime.deviantart.com/art/Your-skirt-is-too-short-81532464

and:
http://ailime.deviantart.com/art/Chtulhu-Puffball-99810063

Which can... be purchased as a t-shirt. For their, eh, "Hardcore Fans".

Though, I suppose you can be part of the problem whilst critiquing it.

Holy shit. I did look at the artists she linked to as examples of good artists, and they are all doing generic "sexy" anime. And none of them doing it at all well either, I suspect they were all her "friends". I didn't think to look at the author's stuff though. The first one you linked is hilarious! Have to admit there are some fine artists on DA, but too much tripe like that just keeps me away from the place.

On topic, YHTBTR is nominated for an IGF innovation prize? That's pretty ridiculous.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2009, 08:43:20 PM »

yhtbtr's nomination leaves me on the fence for the most part. I'm not really sure what to think of it. In one hand it seems to undermine the works of other developers who put more effort in creating unique experiences. In another it's probably one of the few if not the only satire game sent to the IGF. Maybe it looks more innovative that way.

I personally don't think I'd have picked it though.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

When life gives you lemons, make an internet craze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2009, 08:59:56 PM »

Do you mind if I rename this topic "The kids who hate YHTBTR Club"?

Really, I'm pretty sure that the guy who made YHTBTR did it for the lulz, and din't expect it to almost become a meme, and then he went "let's see how far this goes! lulz" and submitted it to IGF, and probably never expected it to go far.

If you want to blaim anyone, why not blame the IGF judges?  Shrug

"Sweet Sacajewea, Batmanifestdestiny!  We've struck GOLD!" -Joseph, Utah Wonder

You have to plagierize the Italian.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2009, 03:36:29 PM »

Did I give any indication that I was doing anything else?

Follow me on twitter
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2009, 12:04:50 AM »

Do you mind if I rename this topic "The kids who hate YHTBTR Club"?

Really, I'm pretty sure that the guy who made YHTBTR did it for the lulz, and din't expect it to almost become a meme, and then he went "let's see how far this goes! lulz" and submitted it to IGF, and probably never expected it to go far.

heh yeah.. this was one of the main reasons why i didnt enter cunt. Imagine how pissed peoepl would be if it made it in for innovation.. hell id be pissed, another reason why i didnt enter it Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic