Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411515 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 04:52:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralYogscast kickstarter game debacle
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Author Topic: Yogscast kickstarter game debacle  (Read 16966 times)
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2014, 03:11:57 AM »

Yogscast was/is popular as all hell. There's no way in hell they would've needed to fakeback the kickstarter with $100,000. Especially since the kickstarter brought in $217,000 more than the goal. This is all just a result of inexperience and unrealistic expectations. Nothing more, nothing less. Also, a lawsuit would be pointless seeing as the entity you'd sue (Winterkewl Games) has gone bankrupt and no longer exists. This is the entire point of an LLC -- to protect individuals from losing everything if their company goes bust.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2014, 05:18:25 AM »

I last checked in on this some months back and it was never going to end well. I had thought though that this was just going to be the tale of an inexperienced developer taking on far more than they could handle. I had no idea that the finances were such a complete and utter disaster as well.

$35k on an upfront payment for assets with no way to back out on non-delivery. That's insane. Who put together that contract? Did anyone with a legal background review it?

I'm also wondering about two very incompatible statements: That Yogscast somehow demanded and got given control of $150k of the funds; and Yogscast claiming that they have "no obligation" toward the Kickstarter. If Yogscast had any control, their claim of "no obligation" is nonsense, surely? And if they did have no control, who on earth decided it was a good idea to give them $150k without it being entirely legally clear what was going to happen with that money?

I have a lot of sympathy for people who take on ambitious projects and fail. I don't have an awful lot for people who carelessly fling around other people's money. It looks like there were a lot of liberties taken here, and a lot of dishonesty. This seems to go way beyond "failed project" and into gross financial mismanagement. I hope that the people who backed this thing can get some straight answers as to what really happened here.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2014, 06:13:28 AM »

$35k on an upfront payment for assets with no way to back out on non-delivery. That's insane. Who put together that contract? Did anyone with a legal background review it?
they payed 3,5k for someone to prepare the contracts Wink

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2014, 07:17:42 AM »

my theory is that suddenly having a lot of money drives some people crazy. you see it over and over. people who win the lottery spend it in a spending spree and a few months later are poor again; this happened once to the half-sister of my cousin; she moved to florida after winning hundreds of thousands of dollars in the lottery, but a year later had to move back in with her mother again in poverty. and one of my mother's old boyfriends at one point won $5000 in horse racing (he had a gambling addiction) and was so happy he gave the teller a $1000 tip (which my mother was mad about, she was like, you didn't get anything for me and you gave the teller a $1000 tip?). i'm not saying this happens to everyone, but there's a certain class of people where suddenly having a lot of money literally makes them crazy. so i'm sure in retrospect they are kicking themselves and wondering what happened, and don't realize the powerful insanity that having a lot of money can induce on people. i mean, you just have to look at the state of the world and the behavior of rich heirs and heiresses shortly after their inheritance to know that suddenly having a lot of money can drive people crazy

here's a related article: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/19/opinion/sunday/for-the-love-of-money.html

that article is about a guy who, each year, made more money than his mother, a nurse (not a poorly paid profession, but not "rich" by any means) had made during her entire life. so at age 22, he was suddenly making more money than he or his parents had ever seen in their lives, combined. he was a wall street guy, he once made $3.6 million dollars just as a bonus. but! he was constantly surrounded by people who were even richer than he was, which drove him insane in jealousy; he saw himself as poor and constantly felt depressed at how little he was making. he had no perspective until he got out of that situation

basically what i'm saying is -- people are wondering how someone could pay an artist 35k without specifying that they were obligated to do something for that money. i don't think it was stupidity, i don't think it was inexperience, i think it was actually caused by being temporarily insane. if they didn't suddenly come upon a huge sum of money, they wouldn't have made that mistake (say, if it were only a $1000 contract or something, and if their kickstarter had gotten them $7000 or some small sum like that). but because it was so much money, it just made their brains go wack
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 07:37:28 AM by ஒழுக்கின்மை » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2014, 10:43:05 AM »

my theory is that suddenly having a lot of money drives some people crazy. you see it over and over. people who win the lottery spend it in a spending spree and a few months later are poor again;

idk what the situation in the US is but where i live people who win the lottery actually HAVE to get psychological counseling.
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2014, 10:53:23 AM »

my theory is that suddenly having a lot of money drives some people crazy. you see it over and over. people who win the lottery spend it in a spending spree and a few months later are poor again;

idk what the situation in the US is but where i live people who win the lottery actually HAVE to get psychological counseling.

Nothing of the sort in the US.
As a general rule, Money = Power, Power = dum

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2014, 11:10:51 AM »

It's call freedom  Noir

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2014, 02:38:45 PM »

it's fucked up that i got banned for not making games and other people get given thousands of dollars to do the same thing
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2014, 02:42:00 PM »

agreed

ink.inc
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2014, 02:42:30 PM »

#neverforget
#joenogeimu
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2014, 02:51:01 PM »

i also made an infiniminer video where i had written vulgar things about derek yu in blocks with a speech synthesiser talking about the evils of mining. these fuckers. my money.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2014, 03:04:18 PM »

for $527000 dollars i will write a (one, single) forum post about you as a child watching your neighbour, jeremy, who was kind of an asshole and not really your friend, play mario. he wou;dn't let you play though, which, some years later, would be a hotly sought after form of entertainment.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2014, 03:10:48 PM »

you can make less with a fucking hulk hogan sex tape than you can unhooking your cpap machine long enough to build an enormous virtual lego dick in a computer game and then begging for money on that basis
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2014, 08:54:48 PM »

Money's just an idea people have, really
Ammypendent
Level 0

Indiedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2014, 11:21:24 PM »

Money's just an idea people have, really

Yeah, the idea that instead of giving a farmer our coconuts for his goats, we give the farmer a bunch of tiny seashells with both of us trusting that those seashells can be used to trade other things.

Twitter
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2014, 04:16:44 AM »

they payed 3,5k for someone to prepare the contracts Wink
Facepalm Given what they got for that money, I'm guessing it was suggested to them that they get someone from the local bar association to look at it, and they misunderstood completely.

And I'd pledge for a Super(b) Joe plushie.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2014, 06:58:04 AM »

Money isn't an idea, it's a protocol

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2014, 06:15:16 PM »

for $527000 dollars i will write a (one, single) forum post about you as a child watching your neighbour, jeremy, who was kind of an asshole and not really your friend, play mario. he wou;dn't let you play though, which, some years later, would be a hotly sought after form of entertainment.
this happened to me and I legitimately think his name might have been jeremy

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2014, 05:12:34 AM »

Meanwhile potato salad makes 57 000
http://www.businessinsider.com/potato-salad-kickstarter-successfully-funded-2014-8

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2014, 05:21:41 AM »

will it deliver?

tune in next week to find out

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic