Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 04:37:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGhost Song: Atmospheric sci fi 2D -- Up; new 25 minute gameplay video
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Ghost Song: Atmospheric sci fi 2D -- Up; new 25 minute gameplay video  (Read 51651 times)
Ito
Level 0

Currently making "Spirit Huntress"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2014, 01:27:16 AM »

This is looking better and better. I'm dying to see more level art. Your sprite animations are fantastic, but what really gets me about Ghost Song is the wonderful atmosphere. Outdoor levels are my favourite kind btw Smiley (even if they're the minority).

I never liked Dark Souls, but if we mix that with good platforming and your art you can bet it's gonna be great.

I'm wondering what kind of music we'll be listening to in GS. I know there'll be a lot of ambience music for the caves and such, but, what about the boss encounters? Will we have leading,aggressive electronic music?

Because that would be boner-worthy.

Thank you for making this, Matt. The game, I mean. Not the boner.

Twitter: @itoaragon
Tumblr: Spirit Huntress.
twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2014, 01:26:51 PM »

This is looking better and better. I'm dying to see more level art. Your sprite animations are fantastic, but what really gets me about Ghost Song is the wonderful atmosphere. Outdoor levels are my favourite kind btw Smiley (even if they're the minority).

I never liked Dark Souls, but if we mix that with good platforming and your art you can bet it's gonna be great.

I'm wondering what kind of music we'll be listening to in GS. I know there'll be a lot of ambience music for the caves and such, but, what about the boss encounters? Will we have leading,aggressive electronic music?

Because that would be boner-worthy.

Thank you for making this, Matt. The game, I mean. Not the boner.

thanks for your kidn words -- honestly the environment art is such a huge task, and one of the biggest "things" left to do. So far I haven't put a large emphasis on adding all the environments, though I have added some. It'll be something that's continually improved and added to as I get later in the process.

the music will be somewhat minimal, it won't be as constant or as active as music in metroid. the music in the first video is a good indication o fthe types of sounds you'll hear, that said, there will also be some more melodic themes as well to go along with the more pensive parts of the game.

dqhendricks
Level 1

There is a small mailbox here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2014, 06:59:20 PM »

wow. just came across this for the first time. really great sounding and looking game you have here. i can't wait to play this.

Oxeren
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2014, 09:18:29 PM »

Wow, this is very promising.

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2014, 12:49:06 AM »

Been following you guys for a while. Just commenting here to say I love your game =D. I've been craving for a metroid + darksouls game for a long time.

dqhendricks
Level 1

There is a small mailbox here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2014, 02:54:43 PM »

One question, have you tried playing your game with one of those red/blue 3D glasses yet? I feel like you might get some unexpected, maybe cool results with that rgb shader you have going on.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2014, 03:08:55 PM »

thanks guys for your continued kind comments   Smiley

One question, have you tried playing your game with one of those red/blue 3D glasses yet? I feel like you might get some unexpected, maybe cool results with that rgb shader you have going on.

haven't treid it. The RGB shader only comes in for a second or two when the screen is shaking or slightly during certain effects.. it's not a constant thing.

danvx6
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2014, 10:04:14 AM »

Hi! I'm really liking the game! The dark atmosphere is perfect and the lighting and particle effects are awesome. I like the HUD design too, simple but pleasing. Actually when I first saw the screenshots I thought the atmosphere was really similar to what I have in mind for my own metroidvania game. I've started learning Unity and I'm curious: what about it made you go back to Stencyl for Ghost Song?

Looking forward to more!
twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2014, 10:53:33 AM »

Hi! I'm really liking the game! The dark atmosphere is perfect and the lighting and particle effects are awesome. I like the HUD design too, simple but pleasing. Actually when I first saw the screenshots I thought the atmosphere was really similar to what I have in mind for my own metroidvania game. I've started learning Unity and I'm curious: what about it made you go back to Stencyl for Ghost Song?

Looking forward to more!

The unity approach via a programmer wasn't working for me. It was too slow. I wanted to design and implement and the process felt very stifling. I went back to Stencyl because I know how to use it and the technical challenges can play a smaller role and be less in the way of creating the game.

If you want to make something really cool almost completely on your own, you need to take all the help you can get. There may be some shortcomings with Stencyl compared to Unity or other methods, but it works well for the style of game I'm doing.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2014, 08:21:31 AM »

finally put up this video I've been delaying (delaying over a very small detail, honestly).

let me know what you think, and please hit me with any questions, I'd be happy to answer anything.

dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »

awesome music and voiceacting in there, as usual. sounds really great!
the only quibble I have is with the pauses between lines in Saymund's speech. they felt a bit too long, imo. at some points, they even felt disruptive to the flow of the text.
Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2014, 09:04:55 AM »

finally put up this video I've been delaying (delaying over a very small detail, honestly).

let me know what you think, and please hit me with any questions, I'd be happy to answer anything.

Kiss Kiss Kiss

3252? Smiley

DevWithoutACrew
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2014, 09:08:45 AM »

this looks very nice, I like the claustrophobic atmosphere!

NicolaiGD
Level 0

Might be making games

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2014, 11:15:56 AM »

The dialogue with the welder guy is really cool! Definitely reminds me of Dark Souls.

The ambience is amazing, but I feel the combat is a tiny bit bland. The bullets kind of seem to go right through the enemies, and I miss that feeling of hitting something. Stopping some of the bullets on impact might help with that, along with a bit of knockback and screenshake.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2014, 06:13:35 PM »

thanks guys -- the bullets do stop when they hit things, so I'm not clear what you mean -- could you elaborate?

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2014, 07:24:29 PM »

It's probably a visual illusion caused by the particle effects, I would assume.
NicolaiGD
Level 0

Might be making games

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2014, 05:46:36 AM »

thanks guys -- the bullets do stop when they hit things, so I'm not clear what you mean -- could you elaborate?
Oh well, maybe it's just the shotgun that does that. Or I'm mistaking the sparks for bullets. I'm not sure. It just doesn't seem like there's much physical contact with the bullets and enemies.

But the game seems good, so don't mind me.  Shrug
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:54:10 AM by NicolaiGD » Logged

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2014, 11:34:45 AM »

Oh well, maybe it's just the shotgun that does that. Or I'm mistaking the sparks for bullets. I'm not sure. It just doesn't seem like there's much physical contact with the bullets and enemies.

But the game seems good, so don't mind me.  Shrug

the shotgun bullets intentionally pierce through enemies, such that groups of enemies can all be damaged by the spray.

most other types of bullets are destroyed on impact, though.

Ito
Level 0

Currently making "Spirit Huntress"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2014, 08:15:31 AM »

It looks great, as usual. Got me hooked as if I was playing the thing all along.

I was hoping you were going to reveal another power-up, but you had to cut just in the moment Sad

Maybe I'm overlooking a previous post where you explain it, but, what are those satellites shooting orbs to the main character? Are those orbs ammunition? Looks like they're stealing it from the enemies. If so, it's quite innovative.

And I can't believe I've not asked this before. Is the main character a human? A woman maybe?

Keep up the good work. Ghost Song is going to be an amazing experience.

Twitter: @itoaragon
Tumblr: Spirit Huntress.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2014, 08:20:51 AM »

how do i give you all of my money for this game?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic