Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:47:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopMain character identity crisis
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Main character identity crisis  (Read 1129 times)
joeyspacerocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: July 21, 2014, 07:26:07 AM »

Hi - I'm hoping to get some opinions and help about the direction I'm taking with the main character in my game (Spooky Pooky).

It's a low-res 2d platformer where you play a poor lad whose been reduced to a skeleton.

My current in-game art is on the left but I'm not really feeling it (my current avatar is the front view); a different approach is on the right.

I'm using DawnBringer's 16 colour palette (I need restrictions). Any suggestions?

s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 07:47:55 AM »

It's clear you're going for a cartoony style, so the best advice in my opinion would be doing research on various cartoons. There's a strong chance you won't invent anything new (I may be wrong though, you never know), so just try out various styles.

For example Adventure Time uses small eyes and puts them far from eachother and very close to the mouth.

Old cartoons would go for long narrow eyes close to each other.

You could also research how other games dealt with the problem. You obviously aim for a big head - small body style. Maybe you should check out other games which also chose this style. Zelda? Pokemon for Gameboy? Spelunky maybe?

joeyspacerocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 08:06:54 AM »

Thanks for the tips - I definitely won't be inventing anything new here Smiley

joeyspacerocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 06:23:36 AM »

I've decided to go with the existing main character but have refined him a bit to reduce the head size and try and give the body more detail.

Still a bit of work to do on the side-view though.

Pixelling can be hard Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic