Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411422 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:16:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignNeat game design idea from a slashdot comment
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Neat game design idea from a slashdot comment  (Read 1995 times)
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2009, 10:10:09 AM »

From: http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09%2F01%2F07%2F2130209&from=rss

What we really need is an alien race to show up, blow up a major city or two, leave us exact directions on how to get to their home planet and specs on what sort of weaponry they have, and then leave us alone for about 200 years. That's about the only way I can see the military getting into manned space travel in a big way.

Sounds like it would make an interesting game, sort of a military sci-fi version of Buzz Aldrin's Race to Space. The only problem I see is that there is a whole lot of nonviolent buildup for some sort of violent climax at the end. I don't see any obvious way of fixing this pacing problem except by making some sort of ongoing conflict (violent or non) during the buildup.

Doompuppet
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 02:40:20 PM »

Violence - Each continent or major country is given an integral piece of alien technology... but none of us can work together so every once in a while you have a mini-challenge of stealing a piece or protecting your own. :D
Evilish
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 08:05:28 PM »

every once in a while you have a mini-challenge of stealing a piece or protecting your own.

I just got an image of worldwide capture the flag then.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »

Come on, guys. Everyone knows that X-Com has been developing terrestrial and submerged alien fighting technology in secret for years, simply waiting for the impending invasion to start while the Men in Black keep us oblivious to the aliens that are already among us so that we can go on with our mundane lives. Meanwhile the Stargate initiative is using discovered alien technology to explore the galaxy, to make alien allies, and prevent malicious alien symbionts from attacking. And the whole thing is administered from an underground bunker at an off-the-record airforce base in southern Nevada as well as coordinating the actions of branches of the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense in New Mexico and Connecticut.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 01:20:05 PM »

Come on, guys. Everyone knows that X-Com has been developing terrestrial and submerged alien fighting technology in secret for years, simply waiting for the impending invasion to start while the Men in Black keep us oblivious to the aliens that are already among us so that we can go on with our mundane lives. Meanwhile the Stargate initiative is using discovered alien technology to explore the galaxy, to make alien allies, and prevent malicious alien symbionts from attacking. And the whole thing is administered from an underground bunker at an off-the-record airforce base in southern Nevada as well as coordinating the actions of branches of the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense in New Mexico and Connecticut.

A few months later Battlestar Galactica returns to Earth.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo~~~~~~~~

I AM FREE!
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 07:30:40 PM »

Actually, it would be a great example of a positive-sum game (i.e. cooperative, as opposed to zero-sum or competitive) if you had to somehow get all these warring / competing factions to cooperatively create sufficient technology to fight / meet the alien race, perhaps restricted by some sort of time limit.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic