Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 09:17:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsB-GamesBrain Drain: Attack of the Mutant Brains!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Brain Drain: Attack of the Mutant Brains!!!  (Read 40089 times)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2007, 10:38:53 PM »

Hey, everyone:) Figured I'd post what I have for my game so far. The game is called Brain Drain....in the game you control an army of mutant brains that seek only one thing: MORE BRAINS! You will start out with a small squad of brains which will grow the more brains you suck out of people's heads (yes, I will have an accompanying animation for the brain suckage...)The more brains you collect the bigger your army grows...until you become one super brain. Throughout the game the difficulty will progress from simple civilians attacking you with stones and sticks etc...to the police and then the army shooting at you and dropping bombs on you from air planes etc..I will implement more features as the development progresses along...

Here is the first screenshot:

Let me know what you guys think about it so far:)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 08:24:27 AM by Derek » Logged

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 11:47:44 PM »

Not sure how to give feedback, afterall, this is a B-game compo.

Surprise us.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Z_E_R_O_Player
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 01:53:18 AM »

it reminds me of futurama!

it looks intresting but i dont really get it
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 09:40:29 AM »

they sort of look like pink clouds right now, maybe you should add more detail into them so they look like brains. I know this is a Bgame comp but we gotta at least be able to visually read what your trying to present.  The game idea sounds great, can't wait to see more. So my only suggestion would be to make those brains look more like brains ... Good luck! Smiley

Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 11:39:50 AM »

Looks cool but if I may make one small suggestion: this should totally some sort of twisted edutainment game since it's about brains. Like, after you've performed each brutally bloody brain suckage, you should solve an increasingly difficult math problem so that as you collect more brains you actually become smarter! So by the time you're a superbrain you're doing rocket science or something!
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 02:18:35 PM »

Looks cool but if I may make one small suggestion: this should totally some sort of twisted edutainment game since it's about brains. Like, after you've performed each brutally bloody brain suckage, you should solve an increasingly difficult math problem so that as you collect more brains you actually become smarter! So by the time you're a superbrain you're doing rocket science or something!

lol...nice, I'll have to figure something along those lines in...brilliant:)

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 11:09:24 PM »

if it was a play on brain train, congrats, you got a laugh out of me :>  God that game was awful, best of luck man  Grin

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 09:57:04 AM »

11 > 4

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 09:55:36 PM »

The more brains you collect the bigger your army grows...until you become one super brain. Throughout the game the difficulty will progress from simple civilians attacking you with stones and sticks etc...to the police and then the army shooting at you and dropping bombs on you from air planes etc..I will implement more features as the development progresses along...

The idea of amassing an army and wreaking havoc on the city sounds great, man!

I agree the brains could use a little more detail.  Maybe they could drip some kind of fluid, too?  Is there any way to distinguish the master brain from the followers?

I have many questions about this, but the premise sounds really promising.  Good luck on this, bud! Smiley
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 05:41:45 AM »

The more brains you collect the bigger your army grows...until you become one super brain. Throughout the game the difficulty will progress from simple civilians attacking you with stones and sticks etc...to the police and then the army shooting at you and dropping bombs on you from air planes etc..I will implement more features as the development progresses along...

The idea of amassing an army and wreaking havoc on the city sounds great, man!

I agree the brains could use a little more detail.  Maybe they could drip some kind of fluid, too?  Is there any way to distinguish the master brain from the followers?

I have many questions about this, but the premise sounds really promising.  Good luck on this, bud! Smiley

Hey, thanks!

Yeah there is a way to distinguish the "big brain" from the "scatter brains"....in the game once you reach a certain amount of brains collected then you will have a button,that when pressed, transforms you into the "big brain"...which is more powerful and has better health but cannot move as fast as the "scatter brains"...you will also have the ability to break the brains back up with the press of a button...in order to give the game a little bit of strategy...sometimes you may want to be a "big brain" (destroying airplanes,tanks etc..) and sometimes you may want to go the scatterbrain route (sucking up more brains, better ability to dodge attacks)....in addition to these features there will also be powerups to replenish your shield (a type of force field that can be used sparingly against enemy fire) primary attack (small laser laser like blasts), secondary attack (guided missiles), and "special" attack (one for each type of brain formation: scatter and big). I have a few other features for the game....and I am working on replacing the old sprites in that screenshot with newer, more defined brain sprites...anyways, thanks for the feed back guys....I can't wait to complete it....

I'll add some more screenshots sometime next week (or weekend) Smiley

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 04:27:12 PM »

Hey everyone! I just uploaded a very basic preliminary build of what I have so far. This alpha just shows off the basic movement controls and the sprite animations (which will be changed shortly anyways...) So if you want to take a look at it go Here

Remember: when you want the brains to move just left click on the desired spot, anyways, enjoy Smiley   (note: brains will exit the screen but can be made to come back by holding down mouse button on selected spot on screen)

Oh and btw...if you are wondering what the green bar is for....that is for the energy your brains have and will be used for shields and the like...it'll make sense in the future...for right now though you can press ctrl and it'll deplete the bar (that's it)

Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 04:53:57 PM »

I still can't tell much more about the game from this, though I am definitely digging the mouse controls. I will say though that the brains seem a little clunky and can't clump very much (which seems to be intentional but is also kinda awkward?). Also, everytime I started messing with it the brains got stuck together in a big blob.
Hope that helps somehow! I'm really excited about seeing your completed game!
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 05:07:24 PM »

I still can't tell much more about the game from this, though I am definitely digging the mouse controls. I will say though that the brains seem a little clunky and can't clump very much (which seems to be intentional but is also kinda awkward?). Also, everytime I started messing with it the brains got stuck together in a big blob.
Hope that helps somehow! I'm really excited about seeing your completed game!

Yeah, I am trying to work some kinks out of the mouse controls (eventually it'll be left click to move and right click to deploy your tentacles to suck brains out) so right now you can only click on the spot you want the brains to go or else they will clump if you try to click and hold the mouse and lead them around (but I will fix this).

The clumping isn't intentional and will be solved as well (the real "clumping" feature i.e. making the "big brain" will be a key press more then likely, and another key press to revert back to the smaller "scatter brains" again....

Until then, the best way to navigate the brains is to just click on the spot you want them to go...but unfortunately you can't hold down the mouse yet....you will soon though Smiley

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 01:54:14 PM »

Hey everyone! I just uploaded another alpha build (v.2) so if you don't care about spoilers check it out Smiley It is at: Brain Drain

I added some new gameplay elements (new sprite, ability to suck brains, ability to control the "big brain" and separate controls for the "scatter brains", ability for the "scatter brains" to to shoot "brain blasts)

Note that this is just a alpha 2...so there are some things that may change at the final implementation of the game....but so far I am digging it Smiley I just have to tweak some stuff and I'll have the first level completed soon!

Note: the controls are...

Left Mouse click = Move "big brain" around
Right Mouse click = Release "tentacle" (I know it doesn't look like a tentacle yet...but it will) (use this on the blue boxes on the screen...eventually these will become people whose brains you can suck and then add those brains to your army...right now though it is just a blue box that will explode and then turn into a brain)
WASD = Control the "Scatter brains"
Space Bar = Shoot "brain blasts" from "scatter brains"
alt = depletes energy bar (doesn't do anything yet...but it'll be tied to your shield)
F4 = Fullscreen
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 01:58:37 PM by skaldicpoet9 » Logged

Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 09:13:20 PM »

Looking cool. I think it's kinda awkward to control just the big brain with the mouse and use keyboard for your minions but maybe I'm just dumb (it's been suggested). I would also like to ask how the brains are going to fuse together (I think you mentioned them doing this earlier? I don't feel like checking, lawl) and how that is going to be controlled.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 09:34:14 PM »

Looking cool. I think it's kinda awkward to control just the big brain with the mouse and use keyboard for your minions but maybe I'm just dumb (it's been suggested). I would also like to ask how the brains are going to fuse together (I think you mentioned them doing this earlier? I don't feel like checking, lawl) and how that is going to be controlled.

Well the WASD keys will be tweaked so that it won't feel quite so counter-intuitive to control the "scatter brains" I left it this way because controlling both with the mouse seemed kind of clunky too (decidedly more so) but I may go back and tweak it so that they both use the mouse again....I am not sure...it is just an alpha so there are more things I will iron out along the way...

And yes, you will be able to become one giant brain "mother brain" eventually...I just have to figure out how to do that with gamemaker...but it will be done Smiley  I am thinking that it will be a key command (maybe ctrl? something else?) and it will be dependent on how many brains you have at your control...(sucking more brains = mother brain eventually) the cool thing is that the mother brain will have totally different attacks (at the cost of mobility of course) including a special attack and the ability to transform back into "scatter brains" at the push of a button if so desired...

So stay tuned Smiley

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 12:27:08 AM »

Alright, I just fixed the gameplay so that the "scatter brains" aren't clunky to control...the movement for the "big brain" is still the same (left click) but now the scatter brains move with the right mouse button. WASD is now to shoot "brain blasts" in all four directions. Use the space bar and point the mouse pointer in the direction you want to release the "tentacle"(I know, I know...it'll look like one soon...trust me) remember to use this on the blue boxes (they will become the heads of your enemies soon lol). Anyways, I am quite pleased with the new control set-up, thanks to Average Higgins for the suggestions Smiley Expect a playable level soon!

Oh and btw the link to the alpha is Here

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 05:10:42 AM »

I like the gibbing effect that heralds the spawning of a new floaty brain.

The alt key is doing weird things at the moment when the game is in windowed mode.  I think it's switching Windows' focus from the game window to the (non-existant) menubar (as in when you press alt in any other window).  Might be an idea to change it to a different key?  (If I'm right about what's happening.)

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 05:20:06 AM »

I like the gibbing effect that heralds the spawning of a new floaty brain.

The alt key is doing weird things at the moment when the game is in windowed mode.  I think it's switching Windows' focus from the game window to the (non-existant) menubar (as in when you press alt in any other window).  Might be an idea to change it to a different key?  (If I'm right about what's happening.)

Yeah, i don't know what is up with the alt key...I will definitely figure out what the deal is and change it...the funny thing is it was fine before when I had it set as the button that will become your shield button (eventually) But rest assured I will figure out what the deal is...I have conveniently saved the game at three different stages in development so as to fix any problems like this that may occur..

Thanks for the feedback though! I can't wait to get this completed (I think I am going to need all the way to the deadline lol...)

Yeah, the brain sucking effect is the greatest..at first I didn't know how I was going to do it but then I started toying around and it all fit into place Smiley
Now just wait until those are actual sprite's heads lol...

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 05:41:10 AM »

Yeah, I changed it to shift now, the feature isn't available yet(it'll be the brains shield) but when it is you will now press shift to deflect attacks with your shield....

As for the alt button...well I would just act like it doesn't exist while your playing this game for right now...I looked at everything in the program and there is nothing that is using the alt button(in code or otherwise)....so needless to say I am completely perplexed...but I will keep trying to see what I can do...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 06:59:42 AM by skaldicpoet9 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic