Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 01:11:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsB-GamesBrain Drain: Attack of the Mutant Brains!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Brain Drain: Attack of the Mutant Brains!!!  (Read 42997 times)
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 08:32:31 AM »

Alright! I like this totally mouse based control better! Thanks dude! I really want to try all this stuff out on some enemies now!
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 11:01:29 AM »

The first rule of solving programming problems at any level is: Let Google do the thinking for you.*

Looky here:

Quote from: Someone in another forum
Alt is a standard windows key to activate the main menu of an application. In case the application has no main menu, its system menu is activated instead. Try to press Alt followed by Space, and you see the system menu (containing "Move", "Resize" etc.) pops up. The game freezes because it is in the menu mode.

To prevent it, you have to remove the system menu from the game by either
- starting it in fullscreen mode, or
- turning on "don't draw a border in windowed mode" in the global game settings.

Hope that helps - although, in all honesty I doubt anyone would notice or care about an unofficial pause button.  The cure may well be worse than the disease. Wink

*NB. This may not actually be the first rule of solving programming problems.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 11:28:58 AM »

Alright! I like this totally mouse based control better! Thanks dude! I really want to try all this stuff out on some enemies now!

Sweet! Thanks alot...I like it better too Smiley I originally wanted to have the controls setup like that but couldn't find a way to do it...but then I couldn't get to sleep last night and started toying around an voila! Anyways, yes, the next version I release will actually be a playable demo level!

The first rule of solving programming problems at any level is: Let Google do the thinking for you.*

Looky here:

Quote from: Someone in another forum
Alt is a standard windows key to activate the main menu of an application. In case the application has no main menu, its system menu is activated instead. Try to press Alt followed by Space, and you see the system menu (containing "Move", "Resize" etc.) pops up. The game freezes because it is in the menu mode.

To prevent it, you have to remove the system menu from the game by either
- starting it in fullscreen mode, or
- turning on "don't draw a border in windowed mode" in the global game settings.

Hope that helps - although, in all honesty I doubt anyone would notice or care about an unofficial pause button.  The cure may well be worse than the disease. Wink

*NB. This may not actually be the first rule of solving programming problems.

Sweet...thanks for that man, I'll definitely see what I can do...it is a tad bit annoying...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 10:42:02 PM »

After the loading screen I am getting an error message:
"Unexpected error occured when running the game"
then I get another error message saying:
"Runtime error 216 at 00436C39"
there is also a long microsoft error report.

You game concept ans screen shots sound fun. I look forward to a fixed version.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 11:33:47 PM »

After the loading screen I am getting an error message:
"Unexpected error occured when running the game"
then I get another error message saying:
"Runtime error 216 at 00436C39"
there is also a long microsoft error report.

You game concept ans screen shots sound fun. I look forward to a fixed version.

Hmm, that sucks...I don't know what would cause that..just to double check I downloaded it from the YoYo games website to my comp and it worked...so I don't know...

But I did just upload a new alpha...so you can check and see if this will work.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 05:08:21 AM »

I just tried out the newest version, its getting good!  I think you should have the smaller brains not wander around so much.  They fly to the area where i want them to but then they start wandering off screen. Are you gonna have humans that try to fight back?  I think it would be cool to have people with guns coming in trying to shoot your little brains or the big brain and then later even have military coming in with tanks and soldiers.  Just some ideas.  Its feeling much more easy to control good work!

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 05:17:48 AM »

I just tried out the newest version, its getting good!  I think you should have the smaller brains not wander around so much.  They fly to the area where i want them to but then they start wandering off screen. Are you gonna have humans that try to fight back?  I think it would be cool to have people with guns coming in trying to shoot your little brains or the big brain and then later even have military coming in with tanks and soldiers.  Just some ideas.  Its feeling much more easy to control good work!

Yeah, I have to implement some more things...the brains tendency to wander will be dealt with...I want them to be slightly "floaty" but not too much so that the player is having a hard time keeping track of them....

Yes, of course I will have people attacking your army of brains...

-there will be civilians (throwing stones and whatever else they can get their hands on)
-the police
-the military
-even UFOs and aliens...and some other surprises along the way Smiley

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2007, 05:27:04 AM »

sounds good , I was hoping you would make some airborne enemies.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2007, 05:34:39 AM »

sounds good , I was hoping you would make some airborne enemies.

You know it...I am planning on having military planes drop bombs on you from overhead....it'll be sweet Smiley

Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2007, 09:48:30 AM »

Finally! Hitting that puny human with my mighty brain tentacle was a highly satisfying experience!! This game is going to be awesome.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2007, 10:00:53 AM »

Finally! Hitting that puny human with my mighty brain tentacle was a highly satisfying experience!! This game is going to be awesome.

Thanks Smiley I love the tentacle too...I just stumbled upon the right look...

I am going to change the civilian sprite though....or maybe animate it...I got to figure out how to do that though...I need to now how to make sub-images when creating a sprite....

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2007, 06:20:39 PM »

Well, I just completed the final build (for this contest at least) of Brain Drain. You can find it Here. There are many features that I wanted to implement but due to the fact that I am in college and  have a crap load of homework to do already, I was not able to include them in this version of the game. I will however continue to work on this game and will feature it in the feedback section when it is ready...

The controls for the game are as follows:

-Left mouse is to control the "Big Brain"
-Right mouse is to control the "Scatter Brains"
-Spacebar (while pointing the mouse pointer in a particular direction) is to use your "Big Brain's" tentacle to suck the brain out of puny humans and recruit more brains to your army
-Shift turns on the shield mechanism for the Scatter Brains" to deflect bullets (you can't move while shielded however)
-W,A,S,D fires "Brain Blasts" off to destroy bullets and humans (if you are unsuccessful in sucking their brains)

*Remember that the "Big Brain" will sustain damage by the bullets (the health bar is in the upper left hand corner)
*The "Scatter Brains" will automatically be destroyed it they collide with a bullet

Anyways, have fun!

(Oh, btw...if you are trying to download this right after I post this you may not be able to right away....YoYo games is initiating a virus scan of the game and as far as I know it still has been completed yet...but worry not, it will be there soon!)

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2007, 11:16:48 PM »

Aww, man the virus scan still hasn't completed yet...does that mean that my entry is late? I uploaded the game to YoYO games at 7pm PST or so....damn Virus Scanner...

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2007, 11:47:03 PM »

I'm not sure, but something might have happened for the virus scan to screw up. You should use an upload service like rapidshare while you still can.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2007, 12:21:20 AM »

skaldicpoet9, e-mail me the game as soon as you can or provide me with another link.  I'm not going to keep you from entering because of Yoyogames.

E-mail: [email protected]
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2007, 08:11:19 AM »

Sweet Smiley thanks Derek, I appreciate it....I don't know why it is taking this long to virus scan..usually it only takes an hour or so....anyways, here is the new Download Link . I hope everyone enjoys the game, it isn't quite what I envisioned it to be but rest assured I will continue with my original idea and keep on working on it well after the compo is over...

Oh and a big thanks to Sean Chan of Battleships Forever fame for helping me out with getting the game finished in time, thanks Sean you rock!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 08:16:46 AM by skaldicpoet9 » Logged

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2007, 08:25:13 AM »

Sorry, but your link doesn't appear to work. Sad

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2007, 08:32:18 AM »

"File has been deleted by the uploader"

Huh

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2007, 08:34:07 AM »

Yeah, it is my own stupid fault....I pasted the killcode link instead of the actual download link and I went to go test it out and it was like "your file has been deleted successfully" and I was like "noooooooo!" lol...I am uploading it again to rapidshare...the thing says it has about a minute left so just about right after this post it should be done....nvm, it is done! lol....I just checked while I was typing...here is the link (the real one, promise) Brain Drain!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 08:40:37 AM by skaldicpoet9 » Logged

anrik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »

What is the name of the song xD Tell me or i will explode!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic