Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 05:44:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallSaber Duel - A Game for the Visually Impaired
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Saber Duel - A Game for the Visually Impaired  (Read 2887 times)
alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2009, 11:38:25 AM »

Good day, everyone!

I've just finished my first game of a series of games for the visually impaired.  I remember reading this article about how this one gamer was amazingly good at Soul Calibur because he had memorized the sounds associated with different character's moves.  That, to me, is an amazing feat.  Then I started thinking about games being created (or any that exist) for those with limited motor, visual, or audio functionality.

Anyhow.

Saber Duel is what it sounds like.  It's a reflex based game where the player must block attacks coming from the left, middle or the right.  This is a game targeting those with a visual disability.  Simple in concept, simple in execution.  It's me treading into the waters of focusing my own game designs on the player's abilities and disabilities, emphasizing what they require from a game and not the other way around.  I'd recommend using headphones as you can immerse yourself in the game better, though I do try exaggerating left, center and right audio channels for the player's benefit.

I expect more complex games down the road.  Thanks everyone!  Coffee

Controls:
A/S/D/F/Left Arrow - Block Left
Spacebar/Up Arrow/Down Arrow - Block Middle
J/K/L/Right Arrow - Block Right

Download: http://www.wanderingpandacomics.com/games/saberduel/saberduel.zip
Game Page: http://www.wanderingpandacomics.com/blog/games/saberduel/saberduel.php
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 06:56:55 AM by alexandersshen » Logged
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 06:33:28 AM »

for those with limited motor/visual/audio functionality.

It's a reflex based game where the player must block attacks coming from the left, middle or the right.  Simple in concept, simple in execution.  It's me treading into the waters of focusing my own game designs on the player's abilities and disabilities, emphasizing what they require from a game and not the other way around.

I'm not sure about this, but isn't "limited motor functionality" and "reflex based game" a contradiction in itself?

I see you support clustered keys, so imprecise hits still work, but it's still quite puzzling to me a bit ...

Per aspera ad astra
alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 06:54:19 AM »

I'm not sure about this, but isn't "limited motor functionality" and "reflex based game" a contradiction in itself?

I see you support clustered keys, so imprecise hits still work, but it's still quite puzzling to me a bit ...

The series of games I'll be creating will be keeping at least one of those things in mind (visual, audio or motor disabilities).  The Saber Duel game, as you pointed out, is a reflex game and targets those with limited visual capacity, not limited motor skills.

I edited my original post to be more clear to my original intent.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 06:57:29 AM by alexandersshen » Logged
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 07:09:13 AM »

Good Smiley I like the idea to create games that work for disabled people, too, those are way too often overlooked.

Sorry if my former message was overly picky. I mostly wanted to know what the plan was, how to make the concept work for the people in question Smiley

So, thumbs up for your idea and plans!

Per aspera ad astra
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 03:50:32 PM »

Ah, this is good! I really like the idea. The gameplay of this game in particular is a bit... dull, though. But that may be because there is no progression, and in fact not acting is not even penalized. I'm sure you can turn this into a much more engaging game. I love Soundvoyager, I know that good stuff can be made in the realm of audio games.

MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 08:29:07 AM »

It's great to see these kinda games popping up.
Didn't you enter the retroremakes compo ? There was a category called A game for Helen aimed for these games.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic