Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:57:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIn The Shadows | Now on Steam and GOG!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: In The Shadows | Now on Steam and GOG!  (Read 62594 times)
WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2014, 02:09:59 PM »

Wow ! the art, the colors, the animation, everything is just need-to-play-right-now awesome !

Seaport
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2014, 06:18:20 AM »

This all looks rather splendid, very nice art style Smiley

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2014, 12:02:41 PM »

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

So little update. I'm still working on getting a trailer out, and also started working on a demo. The demo will be starting very simple and then showing more complex mechanics. I don't have a specific date for the release but this is where I will concentrate in the next weeks.

Now I am conflicted on the level of polish of the demo. Id like to submit the game to contest and stuff, but I'm a bit scared it won't be polished enough (specially controller wise) I'm still not satisfied of the way the character moves and I need to work a little bit on that, so we'll see. It doesn't feel "tight" enough sometimes. Considering that Pax East submission ends December 19, I don't know if I can make that date.

Also some sort of announcement and good news coming soon! stay tuned!

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2014, 05:17:13 PM »

So I think it is time for this now, it's been in the making for a while and everything was made official today :

Announcing Colorspace Studio!

An initial investment has been made and Colorspace Studio was founded to support a good portion of the production and development cost for In The Shadows. I am please to announce that the game will now be developed by Colorspace (basically still me). More details will be available soon-ish!

I just want to say that I am very excited to do this and it was difficult not to talk about it

arrebeat
Level 0

Game Designer/Composer/Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2014, 08:22:24 PM »

Hey that's great news, man! Congratulations!

I make the stuff you hear when playing games! Shazam!

YouTube
SoundCloud
Tumblr
Skippi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2014, 09:53:36 AM »

So I think it is time for this now, it's been in the making for a while and everything was made official today :

Announcing Colorspace Studio!

An initial investment has been made and Colorspace Studio was founded to support a good portion of the production and development cost for In The Shadows. I am please to announce that the game will now be developed by Colorspace (basically still me). More details will be available soon-ish!

I just want to say that I am very excited to do this and it was difficult not to talk about it

Great News Man, I am really really happy for this!!!

Ticebilla
Level 0

Do Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2014, 01:26:42 PM »

I'mnnot sure how I hadn't seen this prior to now, but I am glad I did find it.

This is, as I'm sure you are aware, absolutely stunning.

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2014, 08:53:44 AM »

So, the last couple of weeks have been busy, starting a company is more work than I thought. So much paperwork.

About development, I recently added normal mapping on the player and think it looks great. My friend has been talking about it for a while and I decided to see how I could do it and if it would take a while to implement. Turns out it was pretty easy to do.  I didn't have much experience in Unity or gamedev until the past 8 months or so and I'm often trying to find solutions online to stuff I want to do. I've seen the question asked a couple of time about how to make normal map easy in Unity and I couldn't find a way to do it that pleased me.

After some research, I made a shader using bits of other shader I found to make one that had all the features I needed. I have no experience in shader writing so it might need some reviewing by someone who can write shaders, but for now it work well enough to see how normal mapping will work in InTheShadows.

So this is the sprite shader source code, for anyone who is interested. It let you have RGB, Bump, and intensity slider for the Bump and pixel snap.

Code:
Shader "Sprites/Bumped Diffuse with Shadows"
{
    Properties
    {
        [PerRendererData] _MainTex ("Sprite Texture", 2D) = "white" {}
        _Color ("Tint", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
        _BumpMap ("Normalmap", 2D) = "bump" {}
        _BumpIntensity ("NormalMap Intensity", Range (-1, 2)) = 1
        _BumpIntensity ("NormalMap Intensity", Float) = 1
        [MaterialToggle] PixelSnap ("Pixel snap", Float) = 0
        _Cutoff ("Alpha Cutoff", Range (0,1)) = 0.5
    }
    SubShader
    {
        Tags
        {
            "Queue"="AlphaTest"
            "IgnoreProjector"="True"
            "RenderType"="TransparentCutOut"
            "PreviewType"="Plane"
            "CanUseSpriteAtlas"="True"
        }
        LOD 300
        Cull Off
        Lighting On
        ZWrite On
        Fog { Mode Off }
        CGPROGRAM
        #pragma target 3.0
        #pragma surface surf Lambert alpha vertex:vert  alphatest:_Cutoff fullforwardshadows
        #pragma multi_compile DUMMY PIXELSNAP_ON
        #pragma exclude_renderers flash
        sampler2D _MainTex;
        sampler2D _BumpMap;
        fixed _BumpIntensity;

fixed4 _Color;
        struct Input
        {
            float2 uv_MainTex;
            float2 uv_BumpMap;
            fixed4 color;
        };

void vert (inout appdata_full v, out Input o)
        {
            #if defined(PIXELSNAP_ON) && !defined(SHADER_API_FLASH)
            v.vertex = UnityPixelSnap (v.vertex);
            #endif
            v.normal = float3(0,0,-1);
            v.tangent =  float4(1, 0, 0, 1);
            UNITY_INITIALIZE_OUTPUT(Input, o);
            o.color = _Color;
        }
        void surf (Input IN, inout SurfaceOutput o)
        {
            fixed4 c = tex2D(_MainTex, IN.uv_MainTex) * IN.color;
            o.Albedo = c.rgb;
            o.Alpha = c.a;
            o.Normal = UnpackNormal(tex2D(_BumpMap, IN.uv_BumpMap));
            _BumpIntensity = 1 / _BumpIntensity;
            o.Normal.z = o.Normal.z * _BumpIntensity;
            o.Normal = normalize((half3)o.Normal);
        }
        ENDCG
    }
Fallback "Transparent/Cutout/Diffuse"
}

Save this as a .shader file and use this on your sprite renderer. As someone asked me before, if you want your sprite to cast shadows on other objects just enable shadow casting/receiving in debug mode in the inspector. I'm sharing it because I've seen the question asked a bunch of time when I searched for it myself and never found something similar.

The normal map are created using Nvidia normal map filter tool for Photoshop, which is free, but if you are using gimp you can also use a plug-in to achieve the same result.

I think explaining the whole process is maybe out of scope of a forum devlog, but I wrote about it a bit more on my blog. If you want to read the whole thing you can go on my website www.6502b.com

What do you guys think of the normal map on the player?

crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2014, 10:24:18 AM »

Great write-up and the effect looks sweet! I'm going to take a look at that shader code for sure. I personally think this is exactly what a devlog is for!

Caravan: devlog | website
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2014, 10:31:12 AM »

Keeping my eyes on this, game looks pretty good Smiley

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2014, 11:18:34 AM »

Just added an entry for InTheShadows on indieDB!

Do I stand a chance to get to top 100 in 3 days? ; )

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:32:20 PM by nt » Logged

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2014, 02:08:46 PM »

You're 34 already.
 Who, Me? Who, Me? Who, Me? Who, Me?

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2014, 02:19:47 PM »

That's insane man, 34?!?

Who, Me? Who, Me? Crazy Epileptic Epileptic Screamy Addicted Who, Me? Who, Me? Waaagh! Waaagh! Crazy Epileptic Addicted

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2014, 02:23:55 PM »

Yeah, at first I got excited, but thought it might be a glitch because I didnt get that many hits. Then I read on their blog that they changed the algorithm for rank. http://www.indiedb.com/groups/indiedb/news/updated-site-rankings-and-comments-system

So, to stay on top 100, you have to continuously get hits now

I wont stay there very long

noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2014, 04:32:15 AM »

Looking very good!

Can I ask you a question?

- Do you use Mecanim animations (of the SpriteRenderer.sprite property) for your characters?
- Do you use a Sprite Atlas?
- Do you manually "match" the animation of the diffuse sprite and the Normalmap sprites??
- More generically: do you manually set the normal maps for each object?

I'm thinking it should somehow be possible to use the same UV coordinates in a separate "normal maps" atlas so that I don't have to drag/drop the normal map and recreate the animation for every single object. But I haven't figured out how; and it seems to me you're dealing with a similar problem Smiley

Check out twitter @noionl for regular updates
Zerker Commander
Level 0

Who am I! What did I want!

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2014, 07:50:09 PM »

Looking very good!

- Do you use Mecanim animations (of the SpriteRenderer.sprite property) for your characters?
- Do you manually "match" the animation of the diffuse sprite and the Normalmap sprites??

I'm thinking it should somehow be possible to use the same UV coordinates in a separate "normal maps" atlas so that I don't have to drag/drop the normal map and recreate the animation for every single object. But I haven't figured out how; and it seems to me you're dealing with a similar problem Smiley

I won't lie, I'm also pretty interested in how you pulled this off. It's pretty impressive what you've managed so far.

bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: December 22, 2014, 01:03:02 AM »

I think explaining the whole process is maybe out of scope of a forum devlog, but I wrote about it a bit more on my blog. If you want to read the whole thing you can go on my website www.6502b.com

Thanks for the nice tutorials  Grin

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: December 24, 2014, 01:24:12 AM »

Some experiments with weather.

It'd be cool if the player submerged a bit more after plunging into the water. It would give him more perceived weight.

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 24, 2014, 08:04:46 AM »

Looking very good!

Using the shader I provided earlier you can achieve all that with no problems with mechanim. I just use a spritesheet file for RGB and one for the normal map.

About the sprite atlas, do you mean the sprite packer? I prepare my sprite sheet directly in PyxelEdit, so I don't have to mess with them after. I have some waste space but its so low rez it doesn't matter much.

I have only one Sprite Renderer for the character so its pretty simple.

I don't know if that answer your questions.

It'd be cool if the player submerged a bit more after plunging into the water. It would give him more perceived weight.

I did, this gif is pretty old in the thread, you should look at all the other pages : )

Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 24, 2014, 05:14:21 PM »

That lighting is perfect! Good work! Love the way it shines on the tiles too. It's up there with fez as some of my favorite pixel art  Gomez
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic