Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:12:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIn The Shadows | Now on Steam and GOG!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: In The Shadows | Now on Steam and GOG!  (Read 62935 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2014, 11:44:56 AM »

Game looks cool; super atmospheric. Posting to follow. You mentioned there won't be many puzzles, so I take it there won't there be much of any other gameplay other than running around and exploring the environment? It kind of reminds me of Fez in that respect, especially considering the way it looks.

noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: December 27, 2014, 11:56:57 AM »

I prepare my sprite sheet directly in PyxelEdit, so I don't have to mess with them after.

Ah that's the difference. I have so many sprites that I really need (&like!) the Unity sprite packer. I guess this just means I have to set the normal map for each sprite (and for each animation frame!) manually. Ah well, it's just work.

Thanks for your reply Smiley

Check out twitter @noionl for regular updates
nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2015, 08:21:27 AM »

It's been a while. What happened since last post:

I took 2 weeks vacation before new year and I have been back to work after that. Since the beginning of the year I've been working on new monsters and mechanics, refactored some code, added a system to handle animation cut scenes and started working on UI stuff.

I really have no idea how to deal with UI, I did some basic test and I think it work. Here is an example of the pause menu in action:

I like the blur/zoom out effect. I think maybe the menu should "unblur" also when pausing, but after trying easy way to do it, I realized that the easy way would take time. So I'll leave it like that for the time being.

Trailer is coming soon, again, I'm just waiting for something related to the music rights.

So this is not a big post, but I thought I should check in, since it's been a while since I posted anything, but don't worry, I've been plenty busy working on the game!

That lighting is perfect! Good work! Love the way it shines on the tiles too. It's up there with fez as some of my favorite pixel art  Gomez
Thanks, this means a lot to me. I'm trying to make the game as polished as possible!

Game looks cool; super atmospheric. Posting to follow. You mentioned there won't be many puzzles, so I take it there won't there be much of any other gameplay other than running around and exploring the environment? It kind of reminds me of Fez in that respect, especially considering the way it looks.

There will be "lots" of puzzles, shadow creatures will be everywhere, but I don't want to make promise yet on quantity. It's not really about quantity, but maybe difficulty. I don't want the puzzle to be too challenging, but it will get more difficult the more you progress. There is some mechanics that will give some "replayability" in the way of going back to levels you'be been to accomplish things you couldn't before.

I guess it could be some sort of metroidvania kinda style, but maybe more like toki tori 2 sorts of things. I'm kinda playing around those lines.

ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2015, 05:46:03 PM »

Just wanted to say that I really dig your project, especially the art direction. Can't wait to get my hands on the demo Smiley

P.S.: Congrats on the newly founded company Beer!

SunWuKong
Level 5

Help me, help you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2015, 06:59:03 PM »

Really great stuff man! The art and game look fantastic. Keep on keeping on and best of luck!

Best,

-Tim

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2015, 09:18:19 AM »

In the shadows teaser !

I'm also doing a thing on twitter, i'll release the trailer if/when the tweet hits 100 RT

https://twitter.com/6502b/
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 12:38:34 PM by nt » Logged

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2015, 09:22:47 AM »

Excellent visuals. Following on Twitter and retweeted. Looking forward to your trailer.

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 06, 2015, 09:56:13 AM »

You must be a wizard of shaders. Dang those lights and shadows look nice.

Mr Underhill
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: February 06, 2015, 01:28:51 PM »

One of the best looking pixel art games on here, imo. My favorites are definitely the colors. Great job!  Hand Metal Right

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 06, 2015, 06:40:31 PM »

Thanks for the comments!

Yeah I think I may have been too optimistic with my 100 RT, now that tweet just looks sad haha

oh well

I'm gonna tweak the actual full trailer some more and publish it really soon anyway

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2015, 03:00:44 AM »

I like this very much Gomez

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2015, 01:50:05 PM »

Just released the first trailer for the game, check it out!

Tell me what you think guys!

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2015, 02:18:10 PM »

looking really good. I like your usage of light and that it actually plays a role in the game. one section of the video had me a little confused: I believe some platforms are coming out of the rock? might have just been confusing, as I only got to see it for such a short time though. keep up the good work.

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2015, 02:10:06 PM »

Just checked out the trailer. I love the rain splashes and the lighting. The movement of the creatures is really cool too! Are you planning on having a demo?

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2015, 10:20:49 PM »

So the trailer has been up for a couple of days, It feels good to have people see it.

I am now working on a demo with a couple levels to be release as soon as I can. Also I want to make a video or two that shows some more of the mechanic of the game.

The beta will be a few of the first levels of the game, and maybe then "jump" to other levels that are later in the game, to give a general idea of the type of game play. The demo will be mostly linear, whereas the game will be a bit more open.

So what I have been doing and still working on right now that is needed for the demo :

• First levels "Mansion" art and design. (still need some work)
  • First levels monsters, art and code. (still need some work)
  • Core GameSystem
  • The UI in-game and load screen (almost complete)
  • Option menu for resolution, music / fx volume, 3 level of quality (completed)

So that's about it! I'll post some preview of the Mansion levels soon!

looking really good. I like your usage of light and that it actually plays a role in the game. one section of the video had me a little confused: I believe some platforms are coming out of the rock? might have just been confusing, as I only got to see it for such a short time though. keep up the good work.

Yeah the platform that come out of the rock are like this on purpose. The idea is that since its flat the only clue you have that the platform is coming in our out of the wall is its shadow.

Just checked out the trailer. I love the rain splashes and the lighting. The movement of the creatures is really cool too! Are you planning on having a demo?
I think this post will answer your question : )
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:34:51 PM by nt » Logged

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2015, 04:00:45 AM »

I think this post will answer your question : )

Indeed it does, can't wait!

acatalept
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2015, 06:33:36 AM »

Can't add anything that hasn't been said already: love everything about this, can't wait to play!  Good luck!

EnragedCoder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2015, 01:12:50 PM »

This looks really great! I especially like the sprite lighting and the blurry air dust particles, did you use a special shader for the latter?

One thing I noticed is that the link to your blog in your sig links to a https, which doesn't seem to work. Works fine for me through regular http though.

Keep it up  Beer!
lobstersteve
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2015, 01:25:44 PM »

Woa, the lightning looks sweet  Smiley
nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2015, 10:07:54 AM »

Its been a while, I always think I should post more here but for some reason it feel like its too much work. Maybe If I did smaller updates, the same way I tweet.

So I was working lately on the demo levels, for that I had to make some new tiles for the first levels of the game which happen in a house, when the player is young. Still working on the levels, and the art, its starting to look like something.

Here is a preview of some tiles

The idea of making a level editor as been in my mind since the beginning and I always try not to think about it too much because it always felt like it would be too much work and I should concentrate on the game. The thing is, its bothering me and I thought I should try to prototype something so I can figure out what it actually represent in term of work to do a level editor.

Well turns out I want to punch myself for not doing this earlier because the implication are huge. Things I realized :

• Making a level editor is a lot of work, in Unity using the new UI, I have to implement really low level basic stuff, it takes a while.
  • Making levels directly in unity editor is too open to non standard implementation of stuff, and I realized how bad my code is sometime. Lots of things I coded in the game don't follow the same logic, which work when designing inside the unity editor but when you make your own it's an other story.
  • I need to redo a bunch of things and make proper standards for the way things work, lots of re-factoring
  • A level editor is gonna change the tone of the game I think, if people can make and share their own levels
  • A level editor is gonna make my life easier at making levels and I can have people who are not programmer and not familiar with unity help me.

So what I did is a simple prototype which gave me an idea of what should be done for a level editor, so I started working on it and designing it properly.

here is an image of it, and a gif in action of simple basic functions implemented properly.

I also implemented a console for the game which make things way better for me to run commands in the game directly.

So my dilemma right now is this: I really want to finish the demo for Indiecade for which the deadline for submission is may 1 I think, but there is no way for me to finish the level editor in time and redo the levels. I would need to make the demo in unity editor which will need to be redone once the level editor is completed, which might not be such a big deal considering how much easier it would be with my editor.

I wonder if people would actually enjoy making levels for the game too

So that's that!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic