Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:37:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIn The Shadows | Now on Steam and GOG!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: In The Shadows | Now on Steam and GOG!  (Read 63003 times)
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 12:10:45 AM »

Looks great, this game will definitely be something Hand Thumbs Up Right

coremission
Level 0

game press

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 02:25:07 AM »

Nice, but animation for diving suit is weird. It looks like horse riding. I think it will be better with smooth walking Wink

CoreMission — russian website about games and gamedev
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 02:46:49 AM »

I like a lot the blurred front pipes.
It gives a lot of depth to the scene.

s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 04:54:27 AM »

Nice, but animation for diving suit is weird. It looks like horse riding. I think it will be better with smooth walking Wink
You mean trotting/gallop I suppose. I must agree, a typical walk in a suit resembles more of walking like a penguin or with a dump in your pants.

Skippi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 05:59:22 AM »

In the Shadows is a platformer game with puzzles involving shadow creature, amongst other things, interaction with lights and environement. "In The Shadows" is the working title for now.

Still figuring out some gameplay elements and trying to tie together the story, it involve in part interacting with the creatures in different situations involving lights and shadow. The creatures of the night are nothing but inert objects in light, but come to life in the shadow, in a childish, kid like imaginary way. There will be some puzzles, but I don't think anything too challenging, i'm still trying to balance the pace of the levels.

My inspirations are obvious I think, but I do have a sweet spot for the old SMB2 and the weird mood it had. It affected me greatly in a way, back then, being so different from any other of the serie, I am taking some gameplay elements from it with a twist.

Here are some gifs I posted on screenshot saterday

Simple exemple of creature interaction.

Some experiments with weather.

Foreground experiment.

Here some monster animations

Lots of stuff is in development, animation are still being worked on, game play elements, look and feel. This is still very early in development.

I'll try to posts updates regularly : )

Congrats. Man, This Game Rulez!
nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 06:44:27 AM »

You mean trotting/gallop I suppose. I must agree, a typical walk in a suit resembles more of walking like a penguin or with a dump in your pants.

I'm trying to reuse the same basic walk for the different suits, might not be the best tho, maybe I'll revisit this walk cycle at some point

Congrats. Man, This Game Rulez!

It's not so much a game at this point Wink but thanks! I'm working a lot on visual right now, making interesting levels is a lot of work, I hope to show actual gameplay soon.

s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 08:06:46 AM »

I'm trying to reuse the same basic walk for the different suits, might not be the best tho, maybe I'll revisit this walk cycle at some point
Yeah man, don't trouble yourself too much. After all everything's acceptable in pixel art. What I tell myself when people make such comments on my stuff is that "I can't make things worse, I can only improve them". One day you could just try to create an alternative walk cycle and decide which one's better. It's not that big of a deal.

atmos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2014, 01:17:47 PM »

Now that is some coo looking pixel art. I want more!

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 02:54:51 PM »

Not much visual to show this week, I'm working on rewriting the whole player controls, it was a prototype before and a bit sloppy, it's a whole lot better now.

I did try something a bit different for the ladder climbing tho, since a couple people pointed out the weird face illusion with the hair cut on the back of the head, also getting on the ladder feels better with a transition.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:46:58 AM by nt » Logged

Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 07:14:38 PM »

Looks like we have a replacement for Fez 2, haha.

Beautiful art.  Kiss

LightEnt
Level 1

Power to the action-platformer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 07:31:33 PM »

Yes, this does remind me of Fez alot. It's very eye catching.

On a completely unrelated note how on earth do you people capture smooth GIFs

~Light

Devlog| Tumblr
nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 08:14:19 PM »

Looks like we have a replacement for Fez 2, haha.

Beautiful art.  Kiss

Thanks, yeah Fez is an obvious influence. Somehow I always pictured Fez 2 would be kinda 3D vector looking tho, with colors, instead of pixel art. Might be because of the teaser.

Yes, this does remind me of Fez alot. It's very eye catching.

On a completely unrelated note how on earth do you people capture smooth GIFs

I use Gifcam mostly, or ScreenToGif, but there is always some visual artifacts with both. 30fps Gifs are huge files also.

quietCoder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 08:56:15 PM »

This game is looking really good. The depth of field and rain effects are sweet.
nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2014, 07:54:06 PM »

The last two weeks have been busy. I did a complete rewrite of the player control and it feels a lot better now, moving the character around, climbing ladder and stuff. I also fixed a couple of weird things with the animation, while I think there is still some work to be done, like the way he falls in water.

I'm trying to finish a teaser for the game, a title change will follow, probably, then I hope to show some actual gameplay on another trailer, 2 or 3 weeks after that.

I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to make trees that would fit with the style, I think this works pretty well : )

new fall in water animation :

trees!

GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2014, 09:31:53 PM »

I'd just like to let you know that this game is absolutely beautiful and I can not wait to see more / play it! The Fez Gomez influence is clear, and it is very welcomed. Keep up the awesome work ntToast Left

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2014, 11:40:20 AM »

Trying some stuff to give some atmosphere. I might use this in some situations

click for fullsize!

I'm also writing something to get multi-plane backgrounds. I didn't think it would work with the style but since trying out the blurred foreground I can see how having the background multi level can give a lot more depth. So there will be multi level of objects in the background when the environment permits it, and an image in the far which will be the last depth level. It's gonna be more work to add this to already made levels but I think it's for the better.

I guess defining visual while at the same time programming mechanics and making levels, I am bound to have to redo stuff a lot.

dotsquid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2014, 11:31:32 PM »

The art is looking awesome.
What engine are you using?
nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2014, 08:33:10 AM »

The art is looking awesome.
What engine are you using?

Thanks! I'm currently using Unity as the engine.

While I'm at it, since this is a developer log, if anyone is interested, most of the pixel art is done in PyxelEdit, which is so cheap, then I bring everything in Qubicle to voxelise it and import it in Unity.

So most of the stuff is done like this:

So it gives me some depth to light it in Unity. Some stuff is still only sprite tho, like the player and enemies, also water and other things that don't need depth.

Sadly with the Cubicle Unity plugin right now, the mesh are hardly optimized, lots of waste of triangles. For now I don't really see any performance impact, Lots of the stuff is static and get batched, and since I use so little texture, it's not very memory hungry. Even in heavy scene the frame rate go all the way to 150fps so I might have to limit it.

dotsquid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2014, 04:21:44 AM »

Hmm.. interesting. I thought everything is 2d, since there is no parallax on the animated gifs. It means you are using the orthographic projection, aren't you? If so, haven't you tried the perspective one? (for the whole game, not for the last screenshot)
kruxus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2014, 05:44:29 AM »

I think faking the parallax by offsetting each layer like you'd do in 2d would work better.

That's a cool technique you got there! Have you thought about using 3d space for any gameplay mechanics?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic