Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:36:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIn The Shadows | Now on Steam and GOG!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Print
Author Topic: In The Shadows | Now on Steam and GOG!  (Read 62487 times)
Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: February 28, 2016, 02:07:07 PM »

what can you say when a self-declared kid genius makes such a well developed and thought out criticism of your game like that?  Well, hello there!

Loving the animations and general look of the game, well done on the expo!

So long and thanks for all the pi
iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: February 28, 2016, 03:36:53 PM »

You could make the box tip over and rotate 90° when it was almost off the edge? That is a little more cinematic and a little less player-controlled, but would be intuitive enough. Comes down to personal preference a bit I think.

Overman
Level 0

Kid Genius

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: February 28, 2016, 04:54:53 PM »

what can you say when a self-declared kid genius makes such a well developed and thought out criticism of your game like that?  Well, hello there!

This is literally just a carbon copy of Fez, without the mechanic that made Fez interesting. Your empty praise is pretty unconvincing  Undecided

Honestly it's not too late to go back to the drawing board with this. Doesn't look like much effort was spent yet, anyway.

Genius game developer.
Me latest game: Rowan
http://www.overman-gaming.com
@OvermanGaming
Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: February 28, 2016, 05:01:24 PM »

Perused through here and kept repeating 'yes' over and over again. So excited to see this game come to fruition. Hope GDC was fun for yuns!

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 02, 2016, 12:10:26 AM »

Got busy with other things in the last days, with GDC and PAX coming soon.

So its not perfect, but its sort of what I had in mind. At least now its impossible to fall off the ledge while pushing a block. Control is locked for like half a second until the player gets back up on its feet. I'll tweak the animation some more.

In other news, I got not one but two opportunities to be at PAX East.. If I want there is two booths waiting for me. With really good spots also. Sadly I dont have the money to actually go there, so I'm gonna have to pass on it. It really sucks when you are so thigh on budget you know. Like.. a thousand bucks short.

Perused through here and kept repeating 'yes' over and over again. So excited to see this game come to fruition. Hope GDC was fun for yuns!

Thanks!

You could make the box tip over and rotate 90° when it was almost off the edge? That is a little more cinematic and a little less player-controlled, but would be intuitive enough. Comes down to personal preference a bit I think.
I don't want to have rotating pixel tho. I guess I could manually animate the box rotating but with 16x16 tile size I don't think it would look good. I might test it out of curiosity

what can you say when a self-declared kid genius makes such a well developed and thought out criticism of your game like that?  Well, hello there!
Thanks man! I'll just try to ignore the troll. I'm surprised he came back to make a second comment tho, he must like it.

chegr
Level 0

Don't play baseball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: March 02, 2016, 03:10:38 AM »

I've been a little late to propose similar solution to your problem with falling off. Mine is quite different though.
Let him not fall, but to stop after pushing block over (don't increase it's friction, it makes player feel ther could be different surfaces) and bend a bit to follow the falling block with eyes, until move button is released. Not sure if I wrote it clear.

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: March 02, 2016, 05:16:30 AM »

Got busy with other things in the last days, with GDC and PAX coming soon.

So its not perfect, but its sort of what I had in mind. At least now its impossible to fall off the ledge while pushing a block. Control is locked for like half a second until the player gets back up on its feet. I'll tweak the animation some more.

In other news, I got not one but two opportunities to be at PAX East.. If I want there is two booths waiting for me. With really good spots also. Sadly I dont have the money to actually go there, so I'm gonna have to pass on it. It really sucks when you are so thigh on budget you know. Like.. a thousand bucks short.

Thanks!

I don't want to have rotating pixel tho. I guess I could manually animate the box rotating but with 16x16 tile size I don't think it would look good. I might test it out of curiosity

what can you say when a self-declared kid genius makes such a well developed and thought out criticism of your game like that?  Well, hello there!
Thanks man! I'll just try to ignore the troll. I'm surprised he came back to make a second comment tho, he must like it.

Interesting problem.

I think what I personally would've tried first is actually not letting the player move left until
  • delay after the box has fallen. If the player continued to hold left for say 0.5 seconds after the block was falling then continue to move, if the player is no longer pushing left (neutral or any other direction) unlock it too.

Your solution has a nice world-bedded feeling to it.

Also, the music from your trailer is stunning, who's the composer?

Hephep
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: March 02, 2016, 06:24:37 AM »

I'm in love with your bricks man, can I borrow some for my game?

And the steam and blurry pipes in front of the player in the trailer are perfect! But I don't need those Wink

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 02, 2016, 07:52:17 PM »

I tweaked it a little bit. It just feels better when you are playing it. I want the player to feel very good about the control. It might help to have a super quick "freeze" like they do in fighting game, when the player push the block, just to give it a better feel of power. Ill try that later maybe.

I still have other important stuff to fix, the days are too short.

... (don't increase it's friction, it makes player feel ther could be different surfaces) ...
Yeah I removed the friction, it felt weird, I still need this one to be playtested because I have no idea how people will react to this behavior

Interesting problem.
I think what I personally would've tried first is actually not letting the player move left until
  • delay after the box has fallen. If the player continued to hold left for say 0.5 seconds after the block was falling then continue to move, if the player is no longer pushing left (neutral or any other direction) unlock it too.

Your solution has a nice world-bedded feeling to it.

Also, the music from your trailer is stunning, who's the composer?
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. The player control is locked just as he fall on the ground after reaching the threshold for the cube drop. You can't move the player for like half a second so it gives you time to let go of the forward key/dpad.

Also the music is from Lombus https://twitter.com/LombusMusic You should check out his stuff!

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 23, 2016, 10:51:59 PM »

Post GDC 2016 update!

My experience with the MegaBooth
So yeah, I'm back from GDC in San Francisco. That was a great experience. Being at the indieMEGABooth was a lot of fun, I got to meet a lot of people. The number of people who played the game was incredible. There was people at the booth all day, all week. I met interesting people there, fellow gamedevs, at GDC and in hostels. I'm very grateful that I had the chance to be there, thanks to the IndieMEGABooth. The space we had was really nice, really big. Right next to the conference rooms so there was traffic all the time, people going in and out and stopping by the booth. The only thing I wish I had was a bigger screen, or the option to bring my own. The screen were a bit small and when people played they had a tendency of being right in front of it, blocking the way to people watching. I had my laptop playback the trailer next to the screen which was nice. It get the attention of people and give an overview of what the game is. People waiting their turn to play had more things to look at. So overall it was great. Thanks to the IndieMEGABooth team!

Budget
I read articles before by people who did the indieMEGABooth and shared their experience and it often cost them so much. The IndieMEGABooth at PAX cost a lot more from what I read online, but for the GDC they covered everything. My whole week cost around 600$US including food, hostel and beer. I highly recommend hostel, you get to meet cool people sometimes. I use to do that a lot before, when I was visiting the US backpacking. I understand hostel is not for everyone, but seriously, between 150$-200$ a night in a hotel, and 35$-45$ a night in a hostel... you can do the maths.

Kiosk Mode
Staying around the booth all week was a bit hard, since I was there alone, I kinda had to be at the booth almost all the time so I could talk with players and potential business stuff. I had some bugs here and there, but the game was pretty much stand alone. I added a "kiosk" mode, which reset the game if it was not being played and also it played back the trailer when idle on the title screen after 30 seconds or so. That turned out to be a very good idea. Add a Kiosk mode to your game if you are alone.

To conclude
So, 5 days, non stop action. It was nuts. It's my first time being in such a big conference, there is so much stuff to see. I got some potential good deal that I will talk about soon. All good news that I hope will go forward.

My experience was great, I got very good feedback, to the point where sometimes I have a hard time figuring out why people enjoy the game so much. You know, it's weird. You work on a game for 2 years, you get use to looking at it. Then so many stranger play it, and actually enjoy it a whole lot. If feel so strange to me. It's very motivating, and validating. It's kinda the same feeling that I had at the last expo I did a month ago in Montreal, but just bigger.

If you read this and you came by and played the game, thanks for playing!

Now I have to go back to work.

Photo montage :

« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:58:41 PM by nt » Logged

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 25, 2016, 12:42:01 PM »

So if you guys come to PAX East, april 22-24, be sure to come over at the PAX Rising booth!

I'm super happy to say that a demo of In The Shadows will be playable there all weekend!

I hope to see you guys! also I'm completely stressed out!

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 12:50:45 PM by nt » Logged

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 25, 2016, 12:52:28 PM »

Great to see you're able to showcase at all these shows! Hopefully its some great exposure for you. I got passes to Pax East but I don't know if I'm gonna be able to make the trek up to Boston or not. If I do, I will be sure to keep an eye out for you.

Good luck on the stress... I usually recommend drinking...

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 31, 2016, 02:26:34 PM »

In The Shadows as been submitted to Steam Greenlight!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=387042861

I also posted a new Trailer for the game, check it out!

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 01, 2016, 12:09:33 PM »

24h into the Greenlight submission!

I think things are looking good. I got a lot of comments on the steam page, 76% Yes votes, 76% on the way to the top 100 at this point.

I find it interesting that I barely got any "ask me later" votes. It feels like Pixel art games have a strong audience of people who either love them or hate them, nobody is on the fence.

From what I read online about other Greenlight submissions, I have to expect things to slow down after the first day or so, I'm already off the front page of greenlight. So many games on there, it's crazy!

SageOne
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 01, 2016, 11:46:50 PM »

Absolutely beautiful! Cannot wait for steam release and the trailer's very heartwarming Coffee

chegr
Level 0

Don't play baseball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: April 03, 2016, 05:04:45 PM »

In the shadows too Smiley

© Oleg Beresnev

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 03, 2016, 06:19:06 PM »

In the shadows too Smiley

Nice! I had to look up that guy, he makes very clean illustrations

Greenlight update!

The Greenlight is doing very well, I'm still at 72% of yes votes, I'm in the top 100. Things have slowed down a bit like expected but still.. this is exciting

Thanks to everyone who voted on the campaign!

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: April 03, 2016, 10:27:43 PM »

Hah. What a coincidence. I just voted (yes, of course) for your game a few minutes ago. And here it is. I didn't even recognize the name, I just click random devlogs to read.

Everything looks really cool! good luck on the campaign  Coffee

Hephep
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: April 05, 2016, 11:55:26 PM »

Ok so in addition to having waaaaaaaay better brick wall than mines, you have also characters speaking in speech bubble in a much good-looking way than mine! Color picking seems so tricky to me! I love your color choice for the bubble, really!

gereon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: April 06, 2016, 12:49:21 PM »

The new trailer is really nice!  Smiley

Currently working on...
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic