Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:50:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBaseless // Space Cowboys & Scarves
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Baseless // Space Cowboys & Scarves  (Read 11383 times)
KellyRay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 05:56:13 AM »

I dig it man! Good stuff. Keep it up.

@kellyrayj
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 12:42:30 PM »

I dig it man! Good stuff. Keep it up.
looks totally sweet!

thanks, dudes.

Man, I wish I could just do this fun stuff full time, but it looks like life / my real web-development job is on the front burners right now. Been up til 6am+ the past few nights working on a big site. Concerned I don't like putting my passion on the backburner... Booooooooo. But at least I'm learning something that'll help later on, and at least I'm making dollars for my wife and I. Indeed! Gentleman

Wish me luck with getting this web project done asap so I can get back to the baseless fun stuff!

Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 02:36:56 AM »

8/1/2014

Adding additional additions to Baseless before my colorado vacation. Bye!

7/26/2014

I just found something pretty spooky while developing:

Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 12:59:14 PM »

Back from Colorado, and I'm back at it!

I've got some more to share on Baseless, but I'm not quite sure the etiquette of devlogs. I'm kinda new at this ya know? I've looked on the forums, but it's a bit odd all around. I'd like to have the journal portion (updates with big gifs) of it accessible in its entirety on the first post, but I don't want to make people scroll for a day before they can get past it. (Spoiler tags would be great here!) Any suggestions/examples? Should the first post showcase the highlights while having a link to the full devlog somewhere else (my website)? And then I'll post the updates as regular replies?

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 01:18:19 PM »

Back from Colorado, and I'm back at it!

I've got some more to share on Baseless, but I'm not quite sure the etiquette of devlogs. I'm kinda new at this ya know? I've looked on the forums, but it's a bit odd all around. I'd like to have the journal portion (updates with big gifs) of it accessible in its entirety on the first post, but I don't want to make people scroll for a day before they can get past it. (Spoiler tags would be great here!) Any suggestions/examples? Should the first post showcase the highlights while having a link to the full devlog somewhere else (my website)? And then I'll post the updates as regular replies?
Personally my absolute favorite devlog here is Rain World's
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25183.0

Other devlogs with nicely formatted OPs:
Death's Gambit - http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=41820.0
XenoRaptor - http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=38498.0
Catcher - http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=37554.0

You can have a directory of updates in the OP; if you click the "Re: Baseless..." text above your post, you get a link that takes you directly to that post. You can have a list of update posts in your main posts. Like this:

Update 8/2/14

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 04:10:02 PM »

8/10/2014

This past week, I went to Colorado with the in-laws, and had a really refreshing time. Non-#gamedev work has been incredibly draining lately, so this vacation was a blessing. Mountains, rivers, chilliness, and many other non-Texas stuff. I know it was vacation, but I love to work on my games, so quite a few times I opened up the laptop and made a few additions to Baseless. Here you go:

• Prettier galaxy birth.

• Ability to have multiple snake worms in existence. Looks gross/beautiful

• And lastly, planet-defending turrets and fighter jets.

Baseless is starting to take shape, and I'm really liking the look of it so far. I'll update the demo for you all to play very soon!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 05:08:28 PM by Fermenter » Logged

quietCoder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 06:02:15 PM »

Your game is looking great. good work.
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 03:50:37 PM »

Your game is looking great. good work.

Thanks dude! I'll do my best to keep it up.

dgggt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 01:28:12 PM »

Really nice, definitely looking forward to the mobile version. It has a great feel with a mouse so I can tell it will control really well on the touchscreen.
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 07:52:51 PM »

Really nice, definitely looking forward to the mobile version. It has a great feel with a mouse so I can tell it will control really well on the touchscreen.

Thanks man. I wish it was simple to show people how it feels on a touchscreen. Here's how I'd describe it: right!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2014, 11:40:25 PM »

This looks like a fun, hectig game. Following.
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2014, 09:04:33 PM »

8/26/2014

It's encouraging when you can't stop play-testing cause you're having too much fun. My "real" job has been keeping me painfully busy, but here's a few new gifs since last time:

• Small snakeworms. Gotta figure out how to keep em from glitching out like this.

• A for-testing-only planet creation system.

• And here's a last one just for fun. I find myself trying to do this orbiting thing all the time when testing. Physics maaaaaaaan.

• Also, I got another monitor at home for game dev'in'. All da monitors.

Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2014, 07:12:41 PM »

As far as "objective" goes, I'm having a really tough time deciding which direction to take this. I'm stuck! Everytime I boot up to develop, I just keep having ideas to polish what I have, or add more enemies/etc. As of now, there's not really a goal set in place, but I have some ideas and I need your votes/input:

Should I
1. make it about gathering stuff until you have enough to progress/killing stuff until you've killed enough to progress.
2. make it about staying alive in the galaxy as long as possible as more and stronger enemies arrive/attack.
3. both? gather resources from dead enemies/etc to get to a harder galaxy.
4. do something completely different that i haven't thought about.

I'm thinking probably 3 is the way to go, but maybe you know better than I do. Help get me unstuck and let me know what you want to see in the game.

Thanks so much for even looking at this.

Here's a link to the free alpha demo from a while back, and look at the devlog here for more recent gifs.

Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2014, 09:27:45 PM »

First off, shout out to Christian of Indie Game Enthusiast. Check out some insightful reviews here: http://indiegameenthusiast.blogspot.com/

I've been working on some promotional aesthetics and practical ios icon and gui menu stuff, and I think I'm pretty happy with how things are looking, but I'd of course love some feedback. Check it out and let me know what you think?

More game-y stuff soon!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:33:15 PM by Fermenter » Logged

kruxus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2014, 12:16:06 AM »

Tried the demo, really cool stuff!

About the gameplay, as your only means of transportation is recoil from shooting, the first thing that comes to mind is defending against waves of enemies.
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2014, 10:01:04 AM »

Just awesome, hope you intend to commercialize it!

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2014, 04:13:33 PM »

Tried the demo, really cool stuff!

About the gameplay, as your only means of transportation is recoil from shooting, the first thing that comes to mind is defending against waves of enemies.

Thanks for trying it out. I'm actually thinking something opposite of that. You're the "wave" attacking in a sort of reverse tower-defense game. A tower-attack game! When you destroy all the enemies in a galaxy/stage you can warp to the next galaxy/stage. Does that make any sense?

--

Just awesome, hope you intend to commercialize it!

Glad you like it! I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "commercialize". Could you explain?

kruxus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2014, 02:18:58 AM »

Thanks for trying it out. I'm actually thinking something opposite of that. You're the "wave" attacking in a sort of reverse tower-defense game. A tower-attack game! When you destroy all the enemies in a galaxy/stage you can warp to the next galaxy/stage. Does that make any sense?

I guess so, a bit like an obstacle course? I think the game should focus a lot on player movement though, either being hunted by enemies and hiding behind planets, or collecting stuff spread out. Maybe there is a "tower" that you need to destroy to warp to the next level, you can chose to attack it directly or weaken it by disabling other minor towers spread out in the level. Could result in some interesting speedrunning. Just some random ideas Wink
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2014, 02:58:19 AM »

This looks very nice!

dotsquid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2014, 04:08:19 AM »

It seems you are not fond of the quality of the gifs (at least you were complaining about that stars are not visible on the gif). Have a look at http://www.gfycat.com/
Nice concept, btw.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic