Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:12:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBaseless // Space Cowboys & Scarves
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Baseless // Space Cowboys & Scarves  (Read 11385 times)
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2014, 06:47:10 PM »

10/25/2014

Things:

// TwitchTV! http://www.twitch.tv/aceypoo92/
// Flamethrower powerup!
// Stuff stays on fire and can cause chain reaction fire spreading. Neat!
// x2 bonus if you kill two enemies at the same time!
// Secretly planning Greenlight and KickStarter campaigns! (I'd love any advice. :p)

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2014, 07:03:02 PM »

Might want to talk to the devs of Rain World, Heart & Slash, Scraps, and Four Sided Fantasy. They all had successful campaigns, might have some advice

Here's a good link with a lot of good KS post mortems
http://www.crowdcrux.com/kickstarter-post-mortems-to-read-before-launching-a-crowdfunding-campaign/

Also, just from an outsider perspective, IOS games don't usually get a very favorable reception. I mean, Crescent Moon did a Kickstarter for The Deer God and didn't even mention that the game was coming to mobile (and this was while the game had a thread on Toucharcade)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:01:44 AM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2014, 07:55:26 AM »

Might want to talk to the devs of Rain World, Heart & Slash, Scraps, and Four Sided Fantasy. They all had successful campaigns, might have have advice

Here's a good link with a lot of good KS mortems
http://www.crowdcrux.com/kickstarter-post-mortems-to-read-before-launching-a-crowdfunding-campaign/

Also, just from an outsider perspecte, IOS games don't usually get a very favorable reception. I mean, Crescent Moon did a Kickstarter for The Deer God and didn't even mention that the game was coming to mobile (and this was while the game had a thread on Toucharcade)

I knew you'd show up and save the day!

I'm scared of reaching out and talking to people, don't you know? (I did have a small interaction recently with the Rain World dude about gifs though. Hooray!) Soon I'll work up the courage to really ask for help. Those guys seem to know what works.

I'm definitely gonna check out those KS mortems. I've actually came across a few of those myself.

I've definitely noticed the unfavorable mobile "port" mindset on greenlight with David. Bummer. It's quite good on PC/Mac I think! Does that anti-mobile mindset seem to be the same on Kickstarter?

After asking some peeps on my Twitch.tv streams, "replayabilty" is the key thing they find appealing about the game so far. Good to know!

Also, if I go the KickStarter route, there's so many different angles to take as far as the stated "purpose" of the KickStarter. I'm a thrifty married guy who is fairly poor by most standards, but I don't necessarily NEED money to finish the game. However, I definitely don't have the money to do a good marketing campaign to do it the justice I feel it deserves. I'd also like to take Baseless to conventions/conferences/competitions/etc, and that takes some dough. But, for the backer, I'm afraid it's not near as exciting to fund a project's marketing than the project itself. Does that make sense?

And for some backer rewards, I'd love to give a copy of the game to every backer on whatever platform they like, but I only get iOS 100 promo codes when I release it. Maybe there's a way to purchase a bunch of gift copies of the game if I go over 100 iOS backers? Also, probably I'm completely over estimating the amount of backers.

Really, I just need to talk to these guys who apparently know what they're doing.

Thanks for reading if you did. Typing this stuff out definitely helps me think it through.  Who, Me?

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2014, 08:26:46 AM »

That's another thing. I don't know if Apple changed anything lately, but it can be tough for IOS Kickstarters to get codes to all their backers. For example, the devs of Fist of Awesome made the game free, hoping to keep it a secret so backers could get the game without paying, but word got out and TA and other sites posted articles about the discount. Same thing happened when the devs of Republique dropped their Season Pass down to $0.99 for Kickstarter backers. Word got out, sites posted articles

http://indiestatik.com/2013/10/15/fist-of-awesomes-secret-ios-launch-for-kickstarter-backers-was-pulled-to-avoid-cannibalizing-sales/
http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/01/act-fast-camouflaj-massively-discounts-republique-season-pass

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic