Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 12:39:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesTigBox
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: TigBox  (Read 14164 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 02:22:39 PM »

If an open source alternative to Steam was to work, it would need to come from a strong community just like TIGGER'S WORLDS FLAMES!.
So good luck guys.
And DON'T FUCK THIS UP GUYS, or I'll fuck you up  Lips Sealed Hand Knife Right    Evil Hand Knife Right

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 02:23:02 PM »

Aww, the app itself crashes immediately at launch for me.  Cry
Same.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 03:31:27 PM by tantan » Logged

increpare
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 02:23:41 PM »

Are any games installing or downloading for you?
ziczac (which, as it happens, I hadn't played before Smiley  )

as a matter of interest; how does it deal with the location of executables within the archives?

(a quick glance at the api page didn't reveal too much on that front)

I'll keep an eye out for any possibilities to help out...
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 02:32:03 PM »

as a matter of interest; how does it deal with the location of executables within the archives?

It parses the game folder and looks for exe files, it does its best to pick the best candidate if there are multiple.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
medieval
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 02:37:10 PM »

We should have features, but not too many.

Too many features is capitalism. This app should have indieism written all over it.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 02:48:12 PM »

We should have features, but not too many.

Too many features is capitalism. This app should have indieism written all over it.
This app should have it's own little percerkoff automaton built in. Always ready to pop out and censor Noir Or make a comment.

Man, Steam would be sooooo fucked...

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
increpare
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 03:44:33 PM »

It parses the game folder and looks for exe files, it does its best to pick the best candidate if there are multiple.
Have you thought about doing the whole 'embedding a special xml file in your game folder somewhere with basic info' sort of thing?  It might be good to have support for it, though in practice I guess looking for exes should work fine 95% of the time I guess.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 03:49:23 PM »

I would much rather have a saved path to exe files, but these games are pulled from random sources, so currently there is no control over what's actually in the download. That's why alot of these games dont work at all, actually.

increpare
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 03:57:27 PM »

I would much rather have a saved path to exe files, but these games are pulled from random sources, so currently there is no control over what's actually in the download. That's why alot of these games dont work at all, actually.
Even if people try to execute them normally?  Hmm.  I guess some black-listing system for wonky zips by members is going to be necessary.  What would the options be for people suggesting links to working archives from within the program?

I take it that there's going to be, at some point, a need for a number of new tigdb mods, if this takes off?  To what extent are the freegamedev peeps going to be involved with the administration?

I guess having an actual physical repository, whether it be on one server, or distributed amongst many people, would require a lot of permissions of the individual game creators, and they might not like it anyway (it might make it hard for them to control updates?).  Hmm.  I'm sort of mulling possibilities over aloud here at the moment.  Retreaded ground for you, no doubt.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 04:00:10 PM »

Hosting files on tigDB would be the most optimal solution. That way we can ensure that all games work and it would probably be easier to keep track of and provide updates to the games. But that costs money, so that's obviously a decision that I can't make.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2009, 04:05:41 PM »

Just popping in to confirm that it crashes on Vista currently. Cry

Looking forward to it though!  Gentleman

increpare
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2009, 04:06:10 PM »

Hosting files on tigDB would be the most optimal solution. That way we can ensure that all games work and it would probably be easier to keep track of and provide updates to the games. But that costs money, so that's obviously a decision that I can't make.
It would be a little more complicated, but what about having something more distributed: I think it not entirely unlikely that some people might donate some bandwidth/disk space to the project (I know I could donate a couple of gigs bw a day easily enough). Maybe use the central tigdb server to allocate things.  But maybe that would be more trouble than it would be worth.  It's not clear that it would be, but it might.  Because the api is open, that might open us up to horrible amounts of leaching, but if things are collected together, maybe setting up torrents might help alleviate that.
Luilak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2009, 04:15:42 PM »

I like the idea of p2p the whole thing. Most people will have the app installed, so sharing while having it run on the background might not be a bad idea. Of course, then again you also have people like me, with a crappy isp with a datalimit, or even worse, I believe I've seen a few low-end connections around here as well.

Anyway, I still love where this concept is going. Very anxious to see how it'll turn out alright.
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »

I give this project The Powergloved Walrus of Approval... (because I hate seals). 

The-Imp
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2009, 05:12:28 PM »

I give this project The Powergloved Walrus of Approval... (because I hate seals). 

Seals are so cute though.

Devlin
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2009, 06:36:36 PM »

It runs, but doesn't work.
the application can sort through the list of games, and I can double click to set one downloading, but once the download is complete TIGBox crashes.(I confirmed this by looking in the folder after it crashed)
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2009, 08:05:38 PM »

To be more specific, it runs for me, but when I go to the "Get games" tab, no matter what I choose the list never gets anything.

Also, double clicking on the empty list crashes.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2009, 09:09:43 PM »

Seals are so cute though.
Seals are not gentlemanly enough for TIGSource young man I will not stand for any of this pro-seal propaganda.
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2009, 09:11:53 PM »

I'll get this just for achievements alone. Right now to busy to test, but will at a later build maybe.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2009, 09:35:53 PM »

nothing happens when I click get games and such. I don't know what to do.

edit: ok, I got some stuff to appear.

edit 2: I am having trouble downloading though
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 09:41:28 PM by Powergloved Andy » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic