Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:55:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsStone Story RPG - NOW AVAILABLE
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 55
Print
Author Topic: Stone Story RPG - NOW AVAILABLE  (Read 218600 times)
standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2014, 10:58:10 AM »

It's possible to do different animations for each wand type in the current system, only more animation work. I can put together an animation that uses the basic projectile. Also the system currently doesn't have muzzle flash VFX, its something I will add later.

@s-spooky the thread just went from G to PG-13 eh?

@Leon I like "Force" for the push wands. The reason I am using "Greater" is to create a clear association between them, to say 'this one is better than that one' without you having to experiment, you just know through the name. Makes it more casual.

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2014, 12:36:08 PM »

Here's the two animations with projectiles, more or less how they appear in game right now:

This is a new one where I replace the motion line with a smoother motion and shoot straight from the hip. Keep in mind its a biased comparison as I added a muzzle flash:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:39:46 PM by standardcombo » Logged

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2014, 12:11:57 AM »

« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:39:58 PM by standardcombo » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2014, 12:39:29 AM »

AWW. YISS.
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2014, 12:45:07 AM »

Now we're talking!

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2014, 06:58:49 AM »

yo why did you chose this style?
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2014, 07:01:07 AM »

Nice whirlwinds; made me think of Magic Pockets, what a flashback!

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2014, 10:47:31 AM »

yo why did you chose this style?

I found this style by accident.

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2014, 02:16:02 PM »

Finished implementing all Wands except Greed. That one should be easy, however there are some open points about the resource system that I need to solve first.

Next up, I begin implementation of the Gate system (roguelike challenge). At this point I have about one forth of the content needed for the Alpha, but there is enough to get the Gate system going and somewhat validated. I really want to add this Crypt / Catacomb area soon, that leads up to the giant skeleton boss.

The gate design is fundamentally a resource optimization and conservation challenge.

Each Gate has four primary areas. For the Alpha these are: Mushroom Forest, Haunted Crypt, Ritual Pit and (unnamed) Cave.

i) When you enter the Gate you begin at one of those areas at random.

ii) Each area follows the structure:
1. Easy, quick section. This provides the player an opportunity to accumulate some loot and get a sense of the mechanics present in this area.
2. Shop. The player can exchange some of the loot to better prepare for the challenge ahead.
3. Hard section. Similar to #1 but way more difficult and longer. This is intended to drain you of your resources.
4. Boss fight. You better have some left overs.

iii) After you complete the first area, two of the remaining three areas are offered to you as a choice. You pick one area and go there, following a similar flow as described in (ii).

For example, if you were given the Crypt in (i), Mushroom Forest, Cave and Ritual Pit are left over as possible areas. You may get Cave and Pit as choices for your second area. This is an opportunity for user learning and actual choice. Your choice matters based on the random selection of loot you have left over from area 1.

iv) Upon completing the second area, the fourth remaining area you haven't seen yet is presented. This structure offers an opportunity for learning because when you see the two choices in (iii), you know which area will come after by process of elimination.

v) With three areas cleared, its time for the final boss (Bronze Golemn in this case). The final boss area does not follow the structure in (ii).

vi) Defeating the final boss takes you to the score screen. All left over consumables (e.g. Wands) are converted into points and ranks you on the leaderboard.

Needless to say, if you 'die' at any point inside the Gate, you lose all consumables and exit the challenge.

I have plans for varying difficulty levels on the Gate, each with a distinct leaderboard.

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 03, 2014, 12:13:33 AM »

« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:40:10 PM by standardcombo » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 03, 2014, 01:11:35 AM »

Oh fuck, will they shoot thethered harpoons too?
standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 03, 2014, 03:19:38 AM »

ps: Frame rate of the recording is lame.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:40:29 PM by standardcombo » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 03, 2014, 04:10:36 AM »

Hand Money Left Kiss
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 03, 2014, 04:21:00 AM »

Hey, I don't want to be taken as one of those smart asses telling you how to design your game, but I have a feeling the floating numbers and spell animations are making it very unclear what's going on. If you agree with me then I would suggest maybe changing the numbers to be less attention-grabbing. Or maybe make the magic missiles be bolded out. Or I don't know, something.

You know, in my school we like to bring up an anecdote which goes like this: a student was painting on a canvas. The professor came and said "you must change this! and definitely make that smaller and paint that red, absolutely!". The student was quite a lazy person and he chatted with his friends about the weather and only changed a small detail in one of the corners, painting it in a different color. The professor came again to see the progress and with a grin on his face said "Yeah! NOOOW it looks like something! Very good! Continue!".

So yeah, you surely get what I mean, something is making your combat look a little chaotic. Or at least to me.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2014, 04:45:58 AM »

Might be a good case for that making use of different colours to signal to the player these labels exist "outside" the world being depicted.
Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 03, 2014, 04:50:33 AM »

I have a feeling the floating numbers and spell animations are making it very unclear what's going on.
agree with the number.

one thing, for such a large enemy it's sure easy to kill.

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 03, 2014, 12:21:15 PM »

I agree the numbers are a bit weird right now. Not sure how to improve that yet but I'll keep an eye out, try different colors, etc. It's an important piece of feedback.

@Leon Keep in mind the game isn't balanced yet, but this Ant Hill scenario is quite difficult. In the video I put 2 very powerful AOE wands, one being Fireball which deals bonus damage to insects, which is why everything goes down quickly.

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 03, 2014, 04:11:21 PM »

Click for full resolution
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:40:44 PM by standardcombo » Logged

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 03, 2014, 04:51:45 PM »

Click for full resolution
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:40:55 PM by standardcombo » Logged

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 06, 2014, 11:58:48 AM »

Its so gratifying working with ascii because the game looks exactly like the mockups! Coffee

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 55
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic