Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 06:45:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsStone Story RPG - NOW AVAILABLE
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 55
Print
Author Topic: Stone Story RPG - NOW AVAILABLE  (Read 219627 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 30, 2016, 10:40:21 AM »

This pleases me greatly Wink
standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 30, 2016, 11:03:44 AM »

Is there a LD mega-thread somewhere on TIG ? Couldn't find it. Expected it in the Jams board, but it's slow over there.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 30, 2016, 11:11:23 AM »

There isn't a single thread for all the LD's, but Prinsesa usually creates a thread in the Competitions subforum for the most recent LD.

link

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #623 on: August 30, 2016, 12:07:16 PM »

The Pyramid Builder game also looks good.  As with Stone Story, it's so much "extra" fun noticing the ASCII characters you use to create various shapes and movement. Smiley

I noticed something that at first thought was a bug but on second thought may be intended that way.  I'm referring to the way the stars disappear behind the "not-filled" part of the crescent Moon.  While it would make sense that in reality the unlit/dark part of the Moon will cover everything behind it, the game reminds me of cartoons and comics where different rules apply.  There, when a crescent Moon is shown, only the lit portion exists and the rest usually doesn't.  Vehicles can fly through it and people can sit on the bottom part as a ledge. e.g. Dreamworks logo intro

As I keep looking at it with "realistic eyes", the issue is lessened ... but for some part of me it doesn't "feel" right.  Hope that makes sense. Smiley

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 30, 2016, 12:12:02 PM »

I've never questioned that aspect. Thanks for bringing this up!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #625 on: August 30, 2016, 12:31:16 PM »

I've never questioned that aspect. Thanks for bringing this up!
I would also be interested in what others think about it.

It's probably a perception thingy.  I've watched a lot of cartoons and comics and the ASCII style reminds me more of something cartoony/fantasy and probably why I expect those types of rules.  But I can sort of imagine that if I had different life experiences and would look at the game more realistically, then I would perceive it differently. 

Modog
Level 0

Rogue Knight Mage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #626 on: August 30, 2016, 01:14:49 PM »

Where you programming these pyramidebuild? In linux?
What the programming lang you using?

Also, good work with that!

Finding what I can do better
standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 30, 2016, 01:56:42 PM »

I use a macbook air with osx. Unity C# !!!

loubeasley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 30, 2016, 07:59:46 PM »

I've been following this game for awhile and I'm thoroughly impressed. Just finished the pyramid game. Very cool. You definitely have my purchase when Stone Story is released.

I'm a bit too curious not to ask you a few things if you don't mind. I'm actually working on something similar. I'm trying my best to be inspired instead of disheartened by your incredible ASCII-mations!

Few concepts: http://imgur.com/a/uZwuO

I was going for an rpg with a emphasis in resource accumulation with a fishing motif. Similar to your Pyramid Builder a main goal would be managing a fishing village (as well as completing quests, etc) to accumulate the necessary resources to get a ship built so you can go out to sea. I'll stop there for brevity.

I originally starting creating this for the web, but recently I've been hopping around languages to see what I like best. After playing with Java for a week or two, I've moved on to Unity C#. I was just wondering if you could share some insight with how you are managing the ASCII-grid renderer you have going on. I'm not sure where to begin implementing something like that with the way Unity does things. Have you pre-rendered all your ASCII art as actual images so they can be used as sprites in the traditional way, or are you doing it the CandyBox 2 way using Strings in the code, drawing everything to the "RenderArea", and perhaps to avoid writing text directly, converting the characters to glyphs/sprites from your font sprite sheet before drawing to the screen?

Sorry for the long winded hijack of your thread, but I would really appreciate some insight!

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 30, 2016, 08:10:44 PM »

If you go back a few pages you can find some of the symbol tables. Those are used like texture maps and quads have their vert data programatically set to read at the correct UV, with foreground and background colors packed into the color and tangent values of the verts. Nothing is pre-rendered, all is done in text. By the way your art is great. You could do something similar using a sprite sheet and auto-cutting the texture into sprites. I've experimented doing an off-screen render then rendering that to a single quad to do things like scaling and shaking the whole screen if I want to, but couldn't get around some of the artifacts in a day's work so I dropped it for now. Just good old UV and custom shader for the BG and FG colors. I've actually began thinking about an asset store package for making ascii games to help folk out.

Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: August 30, 2016, 08:22:14 PM »

I've actually began thinking about an asset store package for making ascii games to help folk out.

I'd love to mess around with something like that!

loubeasley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 30, 2016, 08:33:55 PM »

Thank you for the compliment, it means a lot!

When I was playing with the Java version, I created a sort of ascii canvas that you could write your text to (a la candybox). Once you called render on it, it would use a lookup table and create a buffered image from a symbol table and paint that to the frame. I was able to plug your symbol table right into it Tongue. (http://imgur.com/a/6jEkT) I wanted everything to be actual images so I could break the fourth wall of the ascii dimension a bit, but like you said it is not without some artifacts. Your game enticed me to try out Unity C# so I'm getting started with that.

Thanks for the answer! Haha I understand what you mean, now I just need to figure out how to implement it in Unity. Everything was so simple in the browser.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:13:12 PM by loubeasley » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 31, 2016, 01:48:21 AM »

Hey Lou, got a devlog here on the forums? Link it!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 31, 2016, 01:55:06 AM »

Is there a LD mega-thread somewhere on TIG ? Couldn't find it. Expected it in the Jams board, but it's slow over there.
There isn't a single thread for all the LD's, but Prinsesa usually creates a thread in the Competitions subforum for the most recent LD.

link
I'd post in the jam subsection, but its description says "organizing meetups and hangouts with your fellow indies", which seems to imply IRL stuff. :E

loubeasley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 31, 2016, 10:43:59 AM »

I do not! Maybe I should make one  Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 31, 2016, 10:59:11 AM »

Yes! In my experience this is a very positive forum where people do their best to give encouraging feedback and constructive criticism.
standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 31, 2016, 11:19:24 AM »

I do not! Maybe I should make one  Smiley

Do it and put the link in your footer so we know.

loubeasley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 31, 2016, 04:03:09 PM »

Done. Ya'll have a look  Beer!

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=57677.0

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 02, 2016, 08:31:43 PM »

... because, why not!?