Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1385149 Posts in 66322 Topics- by 58804 Members - Latest Member: ArfBud

November 27, 2020, 01:01:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLantern (name pending)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Lantern (name pending)  (Read 8246 times)
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 06:15:51 PM »

Moar arts... This time it's a mock-up.

I do need some critiques... thanks.

andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 01:33:23 PM »

looks really great

Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 02:10:14 PM »

Thanks!

Yay, more concept art!    Right now Mr.Blue is still just pretty much a placeholder.

Renton
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »

I like Mr. Blue. And he'll look awesome if he's actually animated as smooth as he looks right now.
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 02:27:11 PM »

I like Mr. Blue. And he'll look awesome if he's actually animated as smooth as he looks right now.

Yeah... what I'm going to do is separate the body into three symbols;
The legs which will have to settings- 1. walking 2. idle
The body which is static
And the arms and gun which will follow the mouse and shoot.

I think it'll look pretty good this way.

Oh, also, I'll make a special idle sprite if you don't touch anything for 2 minutes.

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 06:25:16 PM »

Mr. Blue looks pretty sinister. Do I sense an anti-hero?

Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 07:09:09 PM »

Mr. Blue looks pretty sinister. Do I sense an anti-hero?

Maybe.  Corny Laugh

Pablo
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 03:02:33 PM »

That would be so cool if we made him a villain. Talk to me tomorrow, I have some pretty sweet ideas for this game. (and Futureology)  Beer!
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 03:19:33 PM »

Mr. Blue is an agent of the Anti Lantern Agency of Intrigue (ALAI), and is on a mission to destroy the murderous rogue experiment lantern monsters created by scientists, which then broke out (explaining the scientist saying OH GOD THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!). He, armed with his special rifle, must destroy these monsters. Their only weakness is the Lantern core of every mosnter, but they hide them well. Using the environment to his advantage, he must reveal the Lanterns of the Evil Lantern Mutant Overlords and stop their conquest of the world!

:D
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 03:45:24 PM »

Oh my god that's genius.  Kiss

Move out of the way, Masna's idea, hello Inanimate!

The-Imp
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 03:47:32 PM »

GO WITH YOUR OWN DESIGN FOR ONCE GAWD.

AngryHand Shake Right

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 05:20:09 PM »

Oh my god that's genius.  Kiss

Move out of the way, Masna's idea, hello Inanimate!

IT WAS JUST A JOKE!

gosh, you mind sucking leech!  :D
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 05:52:15 PM »

I know,but it gave me the good idea to have lanterns concealed in the monsters which you can pick up when they're dead.  Grin

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2009, 08:17:24 AM »

Moar arts... This time it's a mock-up.

I do need some critiques... thanks.

looks cool. i like the palette you're working with. you asked for some critiques so i'll give you my honest opinion.

I think you need to refine the style in one way or the other. The way I see it you have this kind of bumpy/clean thing going on in the edges of all the shapes. You could take it more bumpy and play that up or take it completely clean, maybe do some vector work to make sure the curves or picture-perfect.

The reason this is a bigger deal here is basically because the artwork is so stark and void of inner-detail. The viewer (player) is going to notice the points of highest contrast in your character/world and those are the edges each character/stump/thing-ma-jig.

I know all art is almost always a WIP, but just wanted to point that out to you, I think if you took it bumpier so it looked more intentional the feel would be pretty neato. Clean curves could be neat too. Taking it one way or the other will make whatever you did look much more intentional and all-the-more badass. this might have been the plan all along and you're just working quickly here and I'm all for quick and dirty iteration. I think it'd be useful to carve out the character in as much a polished state as you want and see how it goes and what that means for the rest of the design.

also... just personal preference but i'm not especially fond of the gradients you have going on in the foreground terrain (tiles etc.) but I do really like the blurring you have going on, i think it provides a great sense of depth and contrasts nicely with the clear-cut edges of the characters/world.

Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2009, 02:24:15 PM »

Thanks for the critique, aeiowu.

The bumpiness is actually unintentional.   I originally wanted it to look smooth, clean, and stylistic, but I was using Photoshop Elements 2.0 which is completely devoid of any type of vector or pen tools.   Now that I've got CS3, I'll go back in and work on it some more.

About the gradients; is there a reason you don't like them?   How could I change it to make it look better?

Pablo
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2009, 03:46:51 PM »

I like the other guys idea, Mr. Blue (who should really be called agent blue) should be bumpy instead of clean. He would look a whole lot more awesome if he also had some extra weaponry on him (just for show, although if we made a special gameplay mode where the player can use his extra weapons it would be even more totally awesome). About the color pallete, I think you chose good colors that really bring out the background. However, the foreground should have a little bit more detail or texture to its look.
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2009, 04:18:55 PM »

Thanks for the critique, aeiowu.
About the gradients; is there a reason you don't like them?   How could I change it to make it look better?
no problem =D

i'm not really sure. perhaps just more pronounced. Since they are not on the character, the character will come off flatter if you add shading to the foreground. That could be neat if you want him to feel like paper or something thin. Otherwise it's up to you! play around with 'er. That's my advice. Imagination will only take you so far.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic