Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 13, 2024, 11:31:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMinimon - Indie MMORPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Minimon - Indie MMORPG  (Read 1339 times)
Sushi
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2014, 02:28:15 PM »

Intro
Hi guys, I'm new in the forum, but I thought it might be interesting to share my experience.

People usually say that to make an MMORPG you need millions and a huge team.
I've been wanting to make an MMORPG since I played Runescape 8 years ago, it took a lot of time to gather all skills, but in those last two years I've finished most of it.

I decided to make a MMORPG inspired by Pokemon, simply because it was my favorite game and I think the setting is quite nice for an MMORPG. Of course, I tried to keep away from any copyright problems, by using original monsters.
Originally I was using a free set of monsters I found online (by Neorice I think), plus some others people sent me.
Later I decided to release the game, so I negotiated with the original artist to have permission to use them. Later I wanted more monsters and so I decided to try to make my own designs.

The strategy
Making a MMORPG is hard!
I could not simply spend 3 years writing one and then finally try to release it, what if it failed?
I started with a 2D prototype that took 3 months to make (working on it fulltime) and released it.
Got lots of nice feedback, people loved it, so I worked on this prototype for a year, adding more features and such.
Later I finally decided to move into 3D, and since the code itself was done in a modular way I just add to replace the map and battle rendering code  Cool

Also I try to hear all feedback and adjust the game or even add new features that players request.
It was a really nice experience, I even made many friendships with players, that sometimes started because of the game crashing  Tongue

The budget
This was a MMORPG made with around 10k budget, mostly for art, since I'm mostly a programmer.
I worked with around 20 different artists, it was always difficult to find a good compromise between quality and price. In the end I choose 3 good artists that were able to keep a similar style and did most of the art with them.

Tools used
Language: Object-Pascal (FPC compiler)
Engine: Custom made by me
Software: GIMP, Blender, Tiled, Notepad++, Audacity (plus whatever the artists used, Maya I think)

The results
Currently 200 thousand downloads in Android, so I consider it a success.
iOS is kinda shaky, as I released some bugged versions and the one week wait for updates really caused me problems.

Later I went to Steam Greenlight, faced two major opinions, either people that loved the idea for such MMORPG, or others that were against it because it was a Pokemon-clone.
Anyway I got in after some weeks, currently working on the Steam version  Smiley

One thing people don't seem to understand is that the concept of having monsters fighting was not even invented by Pokemon, other games like Dragon Quest had it before, Pokemon just made it wildly popular.
Still, I admit that in my initial approach I followed Pokemon too much when it was really not necessary. I was more focused on making all the tech than actually caring about the content of game.
Some weeks ago I decided to rework lots of stuff before releasing in Steam, to give the game opportunity to stand on its own unique features.

The links
Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=217626776
Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.terra.minimon3d

I'll keep writing about the progress of the game, since it is not really finished, around 70% done I'd say.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 02:38:45 PM by Sushi » Logged

Sushi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 02:29:09 PM »

Today progress - Texture palettes
I'll talk now about today progress, I've worked on supporting color palettes with shaders.
This is a technique from old times, that many people already forget.

By combining a custom palette with any model, you can easily make some interesting effects.
For example I made an "ice" palette, that I apply to monsters when they are affected by ice attacks.

If anyone interesting in knowing the details behind the shaders and stuff tell me  Wink

Sushi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 06:59:17 PM »

I've been busy, but some new progress, I've working on improving fluids rendering  Smiley

Looks cool, but this time nothing fancy in shaders, just some clever texture scrolling plus perlin noise for the ondulation.

Still not finished though, I want to add support for flow maps, like those used by Valve in the source engine.
That will help a lot to control the flow of water, instead of being fixed to just one direction like now  Cool

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic