Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:57:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsShutter - A puzzle horror game
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Shutter - A puzzle horror game  (Read 8109 times)
DocLogic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2015, 08:43:44 AM »

I  wrote another devlog article on my indiedb page, that website can be great exposure.

Adding polish to a completed game

DocLogic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2015, 08:02:29 AM »

New particle effects for our ghost, sort of a distortion effect.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:43:58 AM by DocLogic » Logged

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2015, 05:12:10 PM »

I've been wanting to comment of a while, but I first wanted to try the game (which I still havent gotten round to). so I'll go with what i see here. the particle effect looks interesting, kind of smokey, I'm sure its even better in motion.

I was looking at the main-menu screen and I really like how you handled the background with the game-name only being visible when the light flashes. As I'm struggling with GUI myself I have to say this, the main-menu itself an eye sore. my first suggestion would be to ditch the black background with the border, remove the button background... in short, just leave the text and make it bigger and white :D . maybe you could even think about integrating it into the background and place it on the door?

DocLogic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2015, 05:24:14 AM »

I've been wanting to comment of a while, but I first wanted to try the game (which I still havent gotten round to). so I'll go with what i see here. the particle effect looks interesting, kind of smokey, I'm sure its even better in motion.

I was looking at the main-menu screen and I really like how you handled the background with the game-name only being visible when the light flashes. As I'm struggling with GUI myself I have to say this, the main-menu itself an eye sore. my first suggestion would be to ditch the black background with the border, remove the button background... in short, just leave the text and make it bigger and white :D . maybe you could even think about integrating it into the background and place it on the door?

Hey, thanks for popping in here and all the great feedback!

Ya I really need that main menu screen to pop, have been spending a bit of time tweaking it. I took your advice, and made some of the changes you suggested. I tried placing it on the door, but I think that's a bit beyond my skill level at this point.

- Added RC to scene, with flashlight shining up at logo
 - Added godrays
 - Removed background from buttons

Im going to spend some more time on this, but here's the current version. Thanks again!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:44:29 AM by DocLogic » Logged

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2015, 06:07:00 AM »

I think its better, but try kicking the border of the buttons too. I have an Idea, that might not be suitable or look good: make the text white and when the lightning flashes switch to red.
Is it keyboard actived? then you should also highlight the active element in some way, so the user what button will activate on return. In my experience, less is more. I still tend to try and make the buttons too much like a real button. Simple single colored text is less distracting and never looks bad.

DocLogic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2015, 01:41:43 PM »

I think its better, but try kicking the border of the buttons too. I have an Idea, that might not be suitable or look good: make the text white and when the lightning flashes switch to red.
Is it keyboard actived? then you should also highlight the active element in some way, so the user what button will activate on return. In my experience, less is more. I still tend to try and make the buttons too much like a real button. Simple single colored text is less distracting and never looks bad.

Cool cool, ya totally going to make the buttons just text, like you suggested. Lightning flashes changing the colour would be rad. They are mouse activated, and they do change colour when you hover over them with the mouse. Using NGUI and Unity (such a pain, cant wait to switch over to Unity's new GUI system for next game.)

In the meantime, been working on adding in these animated curtains Luke (artist) sent me. Still trying to find the right shader for them. Also added in these lights shafts with particle effects.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:45:44 AM by DocLogic » Logged

Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2015, 06:49:20 AM »

Hey, thanks again for all your awesome input. After many conversations with the artist (Luke) I am collaborating with, I've decided to add in this ending sequence in "first person". Something will happen to the drone near the end of the game, and in the final act, you'll be going back in, in first person mode. Sometimes its just best for me to get out of the way, and do what's best for the game!

I know this reply is pretty late since I've been away for a while, but I'm really glad that the idea ended up being useful! Stoked to see the finished game. Keep up the good work!
DocLogic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2015, 07:02:15 AM »

Hey, thanks again for all your awesome input. After many conversations with the artist (Luke) I am collaborating with, I've decided to add in this ending sequence in "first person". Something will happen to the drone near the end of the game, and in the final act, you'll be going back in, in first person mode. Sometimes its just best for me to get out of the way, and do what's best for the game!

I know this reply is pretty late since I've been away for a while, but I'm really glad that the idea ended up being useful! Stoked to see the finished game. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the support! Ya the ending sequence is pretty killer, Luke (artist) made up all these new animations just for that like 4 minute sequence. It sort of wraps up the whole story too.

Might be done today! Sending off a new build to Luke and my brother for testing, hopefully everything checks out. Heres the updated main menu, and a gif of the curtains + lights shafts + particle effects.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:47:57 AM by DocLogic » Logged

DocLogic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2015, 11:35:31 AM »

Hey, our game is done!

We're hoping to find some playtesters to check it out.

DocLogic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2015, 09:57:08 AM »

Some of the generous playtesters were able to find game-breaking bugs that I was unable to reproduce. Fortunately, they gave me enough information that I could see where exactly it was crashing, and focus on cleaning up the code in that section a bit. Set out another build, fingers crossed it fixed the issue!

DocLogic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2015, 10:45:50 AM »

Looks like were done!

We're up on itch.io and and have our steam greenlight page set up.

Thanks to everyone for all your support! We cant wait to get started on our next game...

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2015, 02:43:04 PM »

congratulations on getting green-lit!

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic