Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411425 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:35:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEitr - [ Action RPG ] [E3 Trailer released!]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Eitr - [ Action RPG ] [E3 Trailer released!]  (Read 166162 times)
Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2014, 08:16:12 PM »

Preview of a full size map I've been building using our level editor.  Well, hello there!

Have spent a few days building this, the new level editor is really easy to use but still takes some time designing the map and putting it all together, sorting order layers, etc. We're not too far some public game play footage now though!  Can't wait to hear some opinions.

Wizard

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:21:54 PM by Derity » Logged

bacon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2014, 08:55:44 PM »

Can you talk more about the toolset you're using for isometric stuff in Unity? I haven't seen it covered in a lot of places and I'd really like to know whats working and not working for you here.

CANTATA
Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2014, 06:31:11 AM »

Looks really promising - I love how your combat system is looking right now.

It reminds me of Dark Souls in a very good way.

I would assume that the game will primarily be about mastering the sword and shield in combat? Or are you planning in having a wider weapon/equipment choice? It seems like the art style will make it pretty labour-intensive to have a variety of visible weapons/equipment on the character, but that's fine if the depth is there with the sword and shield combo (which it appears to be from your combat previews).

Keep it up!
Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2014, 12:53:31 PM »

Looks really promising - I love how your combat system is looking right now.

It reminds me of Dark Souls in a very good way.

I would assume that the game will primarily be about mastering the sword and shield in combat? Or are you planning in having a wider weapon/equipment choice? It seems like the art style will make it pretty labour-intensive to have a variety of visible weapons/equipment on the character, but that's fine if the depth is there with the sword and shield combo (which it appears to be from your combat previews).

Keep it up!

Thank you! Sword and Shield combat is going to be the bread and butter of Eitr, much like games such as Zelda, for the most-part you are going to be using these weapons to get through the game. You will also get access to weapons like a Bow as you progress through the game, but Weapons, Shield and Armors will not be in large numbers like games like Diablo.

You're correct when you say that adding these items is labour-intensive, this is especially a problem with Armors as it would require essentially redrawing the character in every animation frame.

Because of this, our plan is that Weapons, Shields and Armors will come in small numbers and will have more meaning to them than just added stats, for example, a Hooded Coat that lets you traverse through an ice cave without freezing, a Shield that is used to repel a Boss's magic attack back at him or a Sword that can vanquish Ghosts.

Items that are not visible, such as Rings, Amulet, Boots, etc - will come in a much greater variety, have random generated statistics and for the most-part be all about increasing your characters attributes.

One-bit Punch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2014, 08:31:10 PM »

Love the strong Diablo II vibe on this one! Beautiful work  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

Aedous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2014, 11:13:20 AM »

Can you talk more about the toolset you're using for isometric stuff in Unity? I haven't seen it covered in a lot of places and I'd really like to know whats working and not working for you here.
No problem, will try and answer your question to the best of my ability. Gentleman

I first started off trying to understand how an isometric grid actually works, and found a lot of useful information with these 3 links:
http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/isometric-n-hexagonal-maps-part-i-r747
http://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tutorials/creating-isometric-worlds-a-primer-for-game-developers--gamedev-6511
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/892811/drawing-isometric-game-worlds

Once knowing the math involved and the theory behind it, placing a tile(s) on an isometric grid was definitely not that hard to integrate into Unity.
By converting the mouse position on the screen to an isometric point ( which is easy to find on the web ) I was able to place tiles wherever I wanted.
To make everything more manageable I grouped tiles into layers, for example, all floor tiles will be the child of the 'floor layer' gameobject and all walls will be the child of the 'wall layer' gameobject.

Another thing which I also think is very important is your tile graphics.
-The complexity of your maps can greatly increase the amount of work you need to do in the editor, having less tiles to automate is a lot less scenarios to deal with when trying to put things together through code.
-If they are not cut to fit, then you may end up with more headaches than you need. It's very important to make sure that your tile graphics actually tile properly before trying to put them together with an editor.

Things start getting complicated when you try and automate some tasks, for example:
Automating the process of placing walls around a floor tile(s)
Automating the process of placing transition floor tiles around each other ( eg grass, mud, snow, water or stone pathways )

Once you know what tile should be placed where, it's then ironing down the scenarios that could possibly occur, which is easier to think about if you imaging each floor tile knows what spaces are free according to itself ( top, bottom, left, right etc ) and then closing it off with whatever walls you may need.
I pretty much used the same logic when it came to automating any process which then led to me thinking of a way to have a template with all the tiles I needed ( floors, angled walls, top corner walls, backfacing walls ) and grouping them into one palette for me to reference through code.

Ah and one last thing which I may be wrong about Epileptic. When automating the process of placing tiles, I was always worried about the number of tiles I may have to check. Turned out that the only tiles are really had to check was the current tiles direct neighbours.

Imagine tile 5 is the tile you just placed, you only need to check the other tiles around it and figure out whether or not to update them.
In some scenarios, you may have to expand it a bit further, but it really depends on what you are trying to do.

There are some tutorials out there to help automate the process of tile placement:
http://www.angryfishstudios.com/2011/04/adventures-in-bitmasking/
I didn't use this method because it was then about organizing the tile sets graphics ( and those where a pain in the first place ) WTF

I went ahead and did it the way I thought was best for our particular game, which may not be the best way, but it seemed to do the job for what we needed, I will probably change it *again* in the future but for now it works.

Hope I've helped you out in some way.  Beer!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 11:19:09 AM by Aedous » Logged

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2014, 07:50:52 PM »

This is so beautiful. I've always wanted to do a game like this, (isometric with detailed 2d character) but the idea of having to draw everything from at least 4 angles just puts me off. It's too hard!

ink.inc
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2014, 08:21:45 PM »

5 angles
twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2014, 09:05:59 PM »

5 angles

how dare you correct me.

Cheesy

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2014, 12:19:48 AM »

Nice art but I feel sorry for the artist, I've dealt with organising isometric assets before and it's a lot of work.

Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 21, 2014, 01:57:46 AM »

Nice art but I feel sorry for the artist, I've dealt with organising isometric assets before and it's a lot of work.

Well that depends on if you see it as work, or fun!  Wizard

Well the drawing part is fun anyway...

Haha!

Aedous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 24, 2014, 03:46:23 PM »

Been working on the new gui in engine, and also using Unity's new UI system, and so far... so good!  Ninja

Here's a gif showing the menu currently WIP. *gif is quite heavy*

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 11:51:15 PM by Aedous » Logged

koiwai
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 24, 2014, 08:02:09 PM »

The game looks beautiful. I like the way the monsters and the main character are designed, nothing looks generic or boring. It must become a very enjoyable game Roll Eyes

Also, btw, the main character's animations resemble pixel graphics from NeoGeo fighting games.

JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2014, 08:05:14 AM »

I dig the combat animations. They don't feel effortlessly fluid, but rather have that kinetic chunkiness that helps convey impact (just like the combat in some of the games you mentioned as inspirations).

Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2014, 03:58:28 AM »

Apologies to anyone who experienced broken images!

Apparently we reached the Dropbox bandwidth limit, lol.  Anyway, fixed.

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2014, 11:33:45 AM »

It's being made in Unity, correct?

Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2014, 01:17:19 PM »

It's being made in Unity, correct?

Yes, we're building the game in the latest Unity!

Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2014, 03:45:54 AM »

A few updates, as we've been lurking in the shadows again!  We've been hard at work on something... Noir

- Twitter is up! Be sure to follow us @EitrTheGame and help spread the word!
- We have humbly been asked by a representative at Unity3D to showcase our game at their upcoming presentation on the new Unity3D UI System! The event will be held tomorrow, Oct. 27th at Unite Australia, if you're there you'll get a sneak peak at Eitr!

Hopefully we'll be able to get a video log of the Unite presentation so the rest of you can check it out, we'd love to see it too as we're not in Australia! Haha.

Oh and one more thing...

- Combat teaser trailer coming VERY soon! Wink
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 04:01:01 AM by Derity » Logged

kingPenguin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2014, 03:50:18 AM »

Twitter link seems to be broken (but I followed you anyway).

Game looks super great, and congrats on being asked for the showcase!
Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2014, 03:58:51 AM »

A few updates, as we've been lurking in the shadows again!  We've been hard at work on something... Noir

- Twitter is up! Be sure to follow us @EitrTheGame and help spread the word!
- We have humbly been asked by a representative at Unity3D to showcase our game at their upcoming presentation on the new Unity3D UI System! The event will be held tomorrow, Oct. 27th at Unite Australia, if you're there you'll get a sneak peak at Eitr!

Hopefully we'll be able to get a video log of the Unite presentation so the rest of you can check it out, we'd love to see it too as we're not in Australia! Haha.

Oh and one more thing...

- Combat teaser trailer coming VERY soon! Wink

Twitter link seems to be broken (but I followed you anyway).

Game looks super great, and congrats on being asked for the showcase!

Thanks kP, which link was broken for you?

Edit: nvm, fixed!  Facepalm

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic