Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:14:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsZarvot
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Zarvot  (Read 9438 times)
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2014, 10:20:57 AM »

Really digging the trailer and simplistic style. It's very catchy and appealing, plus the game play looks very smooth.I'll be keeping my eye on this one. Keep up the good work mate.

Fun fact: almost all the players in my new trailer are AI!

Just sayin' :D
[/quo
Cool! I was thinking this was going to be an MP only game, but I guess there'll also be bots and offline modes?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2014, 10:13:02 PM »

Really digging the trailer and simplistic style. It's very catchy and appealing, plus the game play looks very smooth.I'll be keeping my eye on this one. Keep up the good work mate.

Fun fact: almost all the players in my new trailer are AI!

Just sayin' :D
Cool! I was thinking this was going to be an MP only game, but I guess there'll also be bots and offline modes?

Yep! There's going to be bots at the very least. They're vicious!
Currently pondering if I should add in a short (1-3hr) campaign... This is completely hilarious to me. I'll take myself too seriously and make a world of talking cubes. Each color will have a very distinct personality, and they'll just bicker and banter while fighting off "a great evil" in their voxel world.
I'm laughing just thinking about it!

SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2014, 09:06:03 AM »

Thought this was funny. My students sometimes call it "c-hashtag" so I made a little homage map!

SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2014, 02:42:01 PM »

Revamped my map selection screen!
Click for much higher quality.

And a side note, Zarvot is going to be at MAGFest 2015! Super excited!
Also at Playcrafting's new launch party at Wakka Wakka in NYC!

SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2014, 09:30:24 PM »

I found this really strangely satisfying...

You can also notice the little visual improvements here.
The ground has a subtle texture, and there's AO shadowing!
Also, I've switched from an orthographic camera to a perspective one. The view is basically the same, but the subtle perspective I think adds a lot!

SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2014, 10:05:54 AM »

Menu polish!

The background oscillates and the text does a little wave thing. This gif is sped up 3X, so it's not that fast ingame.
I think it adds a lot from the boring menu I had before!

Also, you can see more clearly the slight graphical improvements I've made.
The ground now has a subtle texture, there's AO shadowing, and the camera is now perspective!

This is my new color selection lobby. I've also changed it from pressing START to join to pressing SHOOT to join. I think this change helps in usability.
The join message also oscillates in color!

And here's a speedy gif showing somewhat how the color select screen works.
You just press A (or whatever shoot button) to spawn in. You move over a color cube to take it. If you don't want to play anymore you move to "leave game."
The problem I've been having is that when playtesting, people aren't going to sit there all day and play, so there needs to be an option to "leave"
But also, people seem to get confused at my wording? A few cases, people would join the game, then promptly move downwards to leave.

(click for normal speed, smoothness)

Also, I will be releasing a beta build in the near future, so I want to gauge interest.
My thread isn't too active because I lack the time to update it, but perhaps some of you would want to play the game.
Gameplay is quite polished already! Let me know if you're interested.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 10:25:25 AM by SnowHydra » Logged

SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2014, 06:37:07 PM »

I've done some performance optimizations!
Transitioned to mesh vertex colors! That was really time consuming, but very very worth it.
Almost all my draw calls are not dynamically batched. Before, only things of the same color could be.

Stress testing with... a LOT of AI. 900p, windowed, 8x AA. That's max settings, basically!
No frame hiccups! Pretty glad.

"But SnowHydra, it's just a buncha cubes! It should run at 1000+ fps!"
I know, I know. Doing my best!

SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2014, 05:03:36 PM »

New addition!

I added a scoreboard, a little similar to Towerfall's round end screen.
I think it looks pretty good! Might want to add a few more polish effects, but there it is!

SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2014, 09:46:00 PM »

Some fun powerups!

I added some camera pickups that affect all players! The first one is the very disorienting ROTATION pickup.
Rotates the screen a full 360 degrees. It's really disorienting, since the controls don't orient based on the camera. People just bump into walls and get confused!

So it's a good idea to pick one of these up in a pinch to disorient everyone! It's pretty hilarious ingame.
(As always, you can turn off certain pickups if you don't like them)

sec32
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2014, 03:31:40 AM »

I'm a fan of the minimalist graphics. Started to read the blog from the beginning, and wanted to post something about the graphics needing colored light effect, but I see you already implemented them ^^.
roboy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2014, 04:05:07 AM »

This looks insanely fun and looks incredible too!

I'm getting some bomberman vibes from it - which is a great thing, I'll be keeping a close eye on this Blink

3D artist - www.roboy.me
Jin_K
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2014, 05:13:49 AM »

Looking great !
I love the camera and the distortion effect on the laser beam.
SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2014, 10:30:53 AM »

I'm a fan of the minimalist graphics. Started to read the blog from the beginning, and wanted to post something about the graphics needing colored light effect, but I see you already implemented them ^^.

Thank you sec32 for the compliments!
I'm planning on having "themes" for stages to give them more color. Right now, when a player dies, the screen fills with ambient light of the dead player's color for a bit. It's quite subtle, and looks pretty good in my opinion. Planning on making it more colorful soon!

This looks insanely fun and looks incredible too!

I'm getting some bomberman vibes from it - which is a great thing, I'll be keeping a close eye on this Blink

Aw, that's a really sweet compliment. Bomberman games were is one of my favorites from my childhood.
The local, same screen multiplayer was done SO WELL.
Thanks for reading!

Looking great !
I love the camera and the distortion effect on the laser beam.

Thanks, Jin_K! That really means a lot to me. Although they're not perfect, I'm pretty sure I spent hundreds of hours tweaking those effects.
Glad you noticed my hard work! Hopefully I can try to make it even better as development continues. Smiley

Here's a new camera pickup!
The SCREEN WARP pickup will warp the screen. Not nearly as disorienting as the rotator, but it's still funky. I love it.

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2014, 02:19:22 AM »

I really like what you have done here. the physics look very convincing even when firing weapons. i think your change in rendering-technique is a good one, though very subtle. have you experimented with more aggressive lighting (more shadows/contrast)? I would not want to change the aesthetics, but you could likely enhance some of your effects, or maybe it could be used for more visual variety in the levels.

SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2014, 01:53:57 PM »

I really like what you have done here. the physics look very convincing even when firing weapons. i think your change in rendering-technique is a good one, though very subtle. have you experimented with more aggressive lighting (more shadows/contrast)? I would not want to change the aesthetics, but you could likely enhance some of your effects, or maybe it could be used for more visual variety in the levels.

Hey Marc, thanks for the comment!
I'm definitely still working on tweaking the visual style, so your feedback is highly appreciated. I've been trying to add more contrast, but still want to keep a light, happy mood. I haven't reached it yet, but will still do incremental tweaks. I think it looks way better than my old, dull screenshots!

I can't add shadows due to the performance hit, but I have tried some more aggressive lighting. It's a higher contrast between the "shadowed" parts and the "lit" parts now, but I can't increase it too much, otherwise it looks odd, because of my very high camera angle.

Since my finals are FINALLY done, I have time to work again!
Here's the tiny visual effect on dash collisions! I tried to make it subtle, but gave it a tiny bit of flair with a twinkle effect.

SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2015, 06:51:08 PM »

Explosive crates!!!

SnowHydra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2015, 08:03:39 PM »

Now adding structural decorations!

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2015, 05:48:38 PM »

This looks ridiculously fun.  Kiss
The simple colors plus AO makes everything visible yet pretty. I REALLY like the lasers and destructible enviroment.
Can't wait to play this!

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic