Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 04:59:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNoct - "Now on Kickstarter!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Noct - "Now on Kickstarter!"  (Read 11462 times)
tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 12:46:53 PM »

Looks cool, but I wonder how my body would deal with a game that looks like this for long periods of time.  IE: I wonder if it'll strain my eyes. 

TheChaoticGood
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 01:12:46 PM »

It's a strange look, kinda like combining overhead Contra with Cloverfield. I kinda like it. Keep it up.

c3sk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 04:36:39 PM »

Looks cool, but I wonder how my body would deal with a game that looks like this for long periods of time.  IE: I wonder if it'll strain my eyes. 

Only one way to find out! Grin Game design wise, it has more casual play support. I don't want players to have to feel like they are required to stay in the game world for intense long hours of play. Item collection/scavenging is addictive enough as it is, especially in multiplayer environments. Once alpha starts, one of the things I'll be looking at are options for players to alleviate any eye strain, without ruining the mood of the games visuals. One of these options is to have more modes than just black and white FLIR.

It's a strange look, kinda like combining overhead Contra with Cloverfield. I kinda like it. Keep it up.

I have to admit, Cloverfield was never one of my inspirations for this game... but I did like the film. Contra on the other hand, man I loved Contra... in all forms! Thanks!

-c3sk
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 02:21:17 PM »

Really cool graphics and idea. Liked the trailer and the music although it sounds a bit too much temp-track and not always so much in connection with the trailer's cut. Really good job nevertheless folks!

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
c3sk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 06:38:12 PM »

I can actually see it being quite easy on the eyes - Lots of grays and very little sudden contrast between black and white.

Anyhow, this looks great! If I were you, though, I might consider changing the name of the topic. Even though it says "Not just another zombie game," the mere presence of the words "zombie" and "game" made me skip this topic entirely for the first few days it was up. Obviously I checked it out and I'm glad I did (amazing art style!), but still, it could deter other people like myself who are, put lightly, a little tired of the zombie craze.

That gif with the giant monster is... shocking. It loops at the perfect time, too, right as it makes a grab for the character. The suddenness of that motion has a sickening kind of realism to it. Well done.

Thanks! That's some good advice, I'll change it to something more fitting. RE: Monster. Definitely the payoff of painful animation... which only gets more painful depending on how many active limbs each creature has. It will be all be worth it, if you creep yourself out trying to play your own game, I guess you're doing something right.

-c3sk
c3sk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 02:03:16 AM »

Currently being tested is a new monster recently added to the game. This one obviously has a bit of a twist and is partially full of "nope". The idea for this monster came from the Matryoshka Doll or "Russian Doll" The concept being that if you keep cracking open the rear abdomen of the monster and its subsequent minions, you will continue to have to deal with smaller versions of itself. I thought this would bring a unique challenge to players in Noct, as well as a somewhat familiar and creepy creature.

This one functions as a "Russian Doll" system, or "Matryoshka Doll" where smaller spawns of itself are encased in the rear abdomen. As such, if players keep breaking the rear abdomen....

... you get "nope".

-c3sk
c3sk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 10:46:28 PM »

Oh, man. Why? Sad

But really, that looks great. Extremely creepy.

Well, I figured if players are going to be exploring the world of Noct, this desolate wasteland of our civilization taken over by monstrous creatures.. What would be some of the worst things you could imagine running into while exploring ruined towns and cities? I think my only gripe about the spider is that it's that.. a spider, not really quite as original as I would like... but definitely brings a new level of shiver to the table while playing.

My musician has been working hard on some new stuff for the Kickstarter... creepy as hell.

-c3sk
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 05:29:54 AM »

If you're going for creepy, you need a giant snake. I HATE SNAKES.  Epileptic

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 06:52:33 AM »

Very nice.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 07:25:06 AM »

I wonder how are you going to build tension, I remember Teleglitch, a game pretty similar to yours, did that by limiting ammo, also, by making it a rogue like, where the fear is restarting all the map from the beginning after 45 mins of play thru, finally, the fear of the unknown, that is seeing new creatures and no knowing what they do
AxBattler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 09:08:45 AM »

The infrared camera look is really cool.

@APantaloni | Currently working on: Exgenesis | Out now: Avoid Sensory Overload | www.48hstudio.com
RealityShifter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 10:53:25 AM »

Your animation aesthetic is wonderful. Huge fan of top down shooters.

Creativegametheory.com
@theorygeorgiou
pottering
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 12:05:45 PM »

didnt care much about the zombies* but that spider is great, following

*(but then I suppose it is not bad to have lamer wave enemies to make the boss look more badass)
c3sk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2014, 07:46:45 PM »

Happy to report that Noct is now on Kickstarter!

-c3sk
DocLogic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2014, 08:19:29 PM »

Congrats, nice looking kickstarter page.

I love that scanline/CRT effect going on in your game, it really adds to the style.

Scifa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2014, 04:42:53 AM »

Hand Metal Left Hand Metal Right

c3sk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2014, 04:55:39 PM »

Update:

Kickstarter is at 15% funded, little slow to start but we're getting there! New monster update. "The Wyrm"

-c3sk
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2014, 05:01:51 AM »

This looks friggin great, the fluidity of all the motions is just incredible. I usually really dislike top-down view stuff but you make it work amazingly and I want it now. I really hope the KS goes well, I'm gonna guess perhaps it's a bit slow at this moment because PAX stuff going on

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2014, 05:26:48 AM »

This looks great. I wish you guys luck!

c3sk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »

Thanks guys.

Yea I'm not really sure why the kickstarter is having such a difficult time. Seems like if you don't get featured or staff picked, or written about on rock paper shotgun (etc) then you're gonna have a bad time.

It could very well be that the game is just not visually appealing enough to get traction. Oh well!

Cheers for the feedback!

-c3sk
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic