Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1362001 Posts in 63514 Topics- by 55393 Members - Latest Member: sherylbutler

June 25, 2019, 12:53:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSoul Compass - GameBoy styled RPG (Demo)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Soul Compass - GameBoy styled RPG (Demo)  (Read 8509 times)
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 07:29:05 PM »

wholy crap. soul compass is out as a demo?! its been SO LONG. i think the last time i viewed this topic was around a year and a half ago. good to see your back working on it.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
CorazonAzul
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 11:28:36 PM »

Thank you for remembering! Yes it was a long time. I spent most of 2013 traveling in contrast to the previous year, and completing another smaller game

Known minor issues with demo 0.1
VERSA has a blank dialog box after completing battle #6, but before completing cutscene #6. GIEF can be interacted with while facing any direction. If alternate color palette is active and the demo is completed or the characters die and give up, palette remains into the title screen. In a certain situation the FLOWR enemy uses vines ability on nobody

Known major issues with demo 0.1
Revisiting a battle does not revert increased stats to original stats. Completing a revisited battle causes characters and stats in the status screen to display improperly

Proposed changes to demo 0.1
Arrange way to exit from battle #1, so player can revisit town and talk to VERSA

I will be getting on these tomorrow
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:46:53 AM by CorazonAzul » Logged

100% MASAMI Sushi Ace Puzzle
+70% Soul Compass     RPG
+10% ZODIAC
CorazonAzul
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 09:09:33 AM »

Demo v0.11 released. Rushed to get this out- sorry about the mess! Overlooked some easy things. Your save file from v0.1 should still work

-Characters can now die and give up in battle #1 after the second attempt

-Fixed bug where VERSA has a blank dialog box after completing battle #6, but before completing cutscene #6

-Fixed bug where GIEF could be interacted with while facing any direction

-Fixed bug where if alternate color palette was active and the demo was completed or the characters died and gave up, palette remained into the title screen

-Fixed bug where revisiting a battle did not revert increased stats to original stats, and where completing a revisited battle caused characters and stats in the status screen to display improperly, as well as cause strange enemy behavior
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 09:21:01 AM by CorazonAzul » Logged

+10% ZODIAC
dafthero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 10:29:43 AM »

Well, it's about damn time we got a demo!  Toast Right Toast Left
debo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 10:32:13 AM »

Works great on WINE, thankfully Smiley

The game plays amazingly well for a demo. I was squinting at all the numbers and stuff before I realized that the helpful monster dude would tell me everything I need to know, and finished the first battle easily after that. Took about 15 minutes, including watching the intro. Very different than the style of game I usually like (I generally like games with a bit of randomness to them), but this seems fun.

As I was hoping, you nailed the aesthetic. Smiley

Just out of curiosity, are the characters avoiding contractions ("it is" instead of "it's") as a stylistic choice or was that just something you did without realizing?

I didn't expect to get so much content in a demo, looking forward to the rest!!
CorazonAzul
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 11:31:45 AM »

Thank you for your great feedback and report. I looked up WINE and I'm glad it works on that

The named npc may replace the full screen data sheets, then. The plan is the npc reoccurs in towns (claiming to have changed professions or something quirky) and helps the player along the way. If the full screen data sheets are only more confusing, maybe those need to go

Writing dialog has been a medium between easy to fit in the window, easy to translate, and what it might have sounded like if it were translated already. Of course a japanese language version is planned for later. The contractions or lackof may have been a subconcious choice on my part!

You completed to the end of the demo in 15 minutes? If so I would say you picked up the mechanics very quickly

+10% ZODIAC
debo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 12:32:45 PM »

Nope, certainly not to the end of the demo! Just to the end of the first battle. I'm not that speedy Smiley

CorazonAzul
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 03:01:40 PM »

Thanks once again
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:30:51 AM by CorazonAzul » Logged

+10% ZODIAC
debo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2014, 03:23:04 PM »

Rad. I just posted links to the trailer and this page on the gamefaqs FFL1/2/3 boards, they're low-traffic but I think they're a target audience.
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2014, 01:07:54 PM »

Beautiful! The game's concept is wonderful and the assets are marvelous. Love the idea of the elaborate and calculated battles, the instruction manual is awesome and the idea of earning stars is lovely!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2014, 11:38:02 PM »

The whole project looks (and sounds) very nice! I'm getting massive FFLegend vibes, thanks in no small part to the many references to a tower in the demo, and that's a good thing in my book :-D That instruction manual is also very well done!

I really like the idea of an elaborate series of fights, each individually designed as a puzzle. To be honest, it's close to one I had worked on for a while with a friend of mine, but we didn't manage to get anywhere with it. I'm really glad to see you have a similar plan, but executed very well!

CorazonAzul
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2014, 11:44:07 PM »

Thank you all. Final Fantasy Legend is a major influence

Based on the feedback so far, I made some changes to help players better solve the battles. Demo version 0.2 is released with the following changes from version 0.11, and is compatible with the 0.11 and 0.1 save file:

-Enemies added to the game manual

-Various cutscene dialog and transitions were improved

-VERSA now introduces himself at the end of cutscene #1

-Pressing ESC now generates a message box that prompts the player to exit the game

-Selecting Quit from the status menu now resets to the title screen instead of exiting the game

At the moment several of the game's existing options are being moved into a Windows API standard format- which will relieve the limited screen space as well as allow it to feel like a more "natural" GameBoy game- and adding input user configuration for keyboards and gamepads. I am also re-adding the "scaleX" and "eagle" filters into the API, which were taken out before due to limited space

+10% ZODIAC
CorazonAzul
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2014, 05:11:48 PM »

The Windows API is coming along smoothly
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 05:17:41 PM by CorazonAzul » Logged

+10% ZODIAC
CorazonAzul
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 05:33:15 PM »

Demo version 0.3 is released with the following changes from version 0.2, and it is recommended to create a new save file. Numerous improvements and features implemented. Hope you enjoy!

-Added Windows API interface for handling
   the following functions:

--Existing functions moved to API:

---Exit the game
   ---Change display ratio (1:1,2:1,3:1,4:1)
   ---Change palette (Default,Green,Violet,Oxide)

--New functions:

---Reset the game
   ---Change keyboard scheme (QWERTY, DVORAK)
   ---Configure gamepad
   ---Change display filter (None,ScaleX,Eagle)
   ---View game version
   ---View game manual

-Game now creates Config.ini to save options
   set by the player in the Windows API
   interface

-Added program title bar and alt+tab icons

-Removed PDF manual: replaced by in-game
   manual

-Added in-game option to toggle SFX. Saves
   to Save.sav when saving game

-Game now mutes itself while minimized

-VERSA now gives a hint during the first
   battle if the player dies

-Battles were rebalanced:

--Snort now has 1 fewer speed
   --Snort's Double Bite ability now costs 50
   more time
   --Snort's Double Bite ability now properly
   deactivates if its original target died
   --Creep now has 2 fewer hit points
   --Star conditions for all battles are now
   identical; "Win without KO"

« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:31:33 AM by CorazonAzul » Logged

+10% ZODIAC
CorazonAzul
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2014, 10:48:19 PM »

Demo version 0.31 is released with the following changes from version 0.3, and is compatible with the 0.3 save file:

-Added VSYNC toggle option; saves to Config.ini

-Various CPU optimizations implemented

Game now bypasses memory blitting functions while minimized, resulting in relatively no CPU/GPU use while minimized. Game now uses notably less CPU/GPU when drawing in smaller formats, and less CPU/GPU overall. Disabling VSYNC (default) will further reduce CPU usage, but enabling VSYNC should result in smoother moving images

+10% ZODIAC
debo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2014, 01:29:17 AM »

Demo version 0.31 is released with the following changes from version 0.3, and is compatible with the 0.3 save file:

-Added VSYNC toggle option; saves to Config.ini

-Various CPU optimizations implemented

Game now bypasses memory blitting functions while minimized, resulting in relatively no CPU/GPU use while minimized. Game now uses notably less CPU/GPU when drawing in smaller formats, and less CPU/GPU overall. Disabling VSYNC (default) will further reduce CPU usage, but enabling VSYNC should result in smoother moving images

Barg, I've had too much going on recently to play much farther. Looking forward to testing out the new changes!
debo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2014, 10:31:50 AM »

OK, I am going to finish this game!!!
CorazonAzul
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2015, 02:59:44 AM »

OK, I am going to finish this game!!!

Let me know what you thought! Cheesy

I plan on returning to this project soon
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 03:09:34 AM by CorazonAzul » Logged

+10% ZODIAC
CorazonAzul
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2015, 08:13:03 AM »

Putting in some work on cutscenes

Being such a Stanley Kubrick about things and imitating Gameboy limitations very strictly on top of that is adding work time, but can't settle doing it another way

+10% ZODIAC
CorazonAzul
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2015, 06:43:56 PM »

Finished a dramatic cutscene sequence that allows some interactivity, and concludes in a major battle. Shows off a couple new sprites and plays fantastic. The cutscene following that one will lead into the next area of the world, which is next on the to-do. Project is looking better than ever

Also I am still trying to collect feedback from the demo. If you have any thoughts, comments or suggestions please let me know so I can take them going forward Smiley

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:00:14 AM by CorazonAzul » Logged

+10% ZODIAC
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic