Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:39:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsZombie Night Terror
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Zombie Night Terror  (Read 30269 times)
IGorGe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 01:27:48 PM »

MUTATION!!!!

and ... DESTRUCTION !!!
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 02:38:11 PM »

That animation  Addicted
Awesome!
IGorGe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 02:25:18 PM »

Talking about mutations

Mutations are central to the gameplay, here are some examples we are working on.

They are separated into 2 different categories:

Mutations that affect the behavior and appearance of the zombie:
  • The Climber lets you climb walls and walk in small corridors. They are more dangerous and faster.
  • The Blocker can lead the horde in a specific direction.
  • The Tank is a devastating, hungry and violent monster. A weapon of destruction ideal to confront heavily armed forces, armored vehicles or to open paths.

Actions that are more temporary:
  • The Screamer can paralyze humans with his beautiful voice.
  • The Runner can overcome a too powerful defenses and avoid some traps, they are also harder to target.
  • The Boomer can break doors, some walls, and devastate a human group.

Combo! The idea is simple, all actions can be applied on any zombies, whether it is a normal one or mutated one. Each having different results depending on the current mutation. For instance applying a Runner on a Tank will make him do a powerful dash destroying everything on its path.

Note that this is not final, more mutations will come, some will change and other may be scrapped.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 04:06:58 AM by IGorGe » Logged
LichiMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 02:10:54 AM »

I need more! Your pixel art is incredible.

Which application do you use to animate them?
So, you are using Unity... are you going to do pixel perfect movement? Or they are going to move in screen pixels?

Hope we can see more soon Smiley
Keep up the great work!
IGorGe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 02:05:56 PM »

So, you are using Unity... are you going to do pixel perfect movement? Or they are going to move in screen pixels?

It's going to move in screen pixels.
Actually the game is not totally old school pixel art. It is using advanced features such as dynamic lighting, shadows, Special FXs as well as physics.
We think it helps strengthen the atmosphere.

Of course we are trying to find the right balance so that the mix doesn't feel awkward.
We will try to show more of this soon Smiley
LichiMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 07:15:38 AM »

Nice! Smiley
I can't wait to watch all together in action.
IGorGe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 08:25:58 AM »

Hi everyone, we have just added a news on our website. If you want to know more about the gameplay, just follow the link:

http://www.zombienightterror.com/gameplay-mutations

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 02:24:08 PM by IGorGe » Logged
IGorGe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 05:19:47 AM »

Hi,
If you want to see a WIP video , just follow the link.

This one is about the close range fighter behavior.

JosephElliott
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 01:39:05 PM »

Hot DAMN this looks good. I haven't been excited about a zombie game in a long time, but those animations are unreal.

IGorGe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2014, 12:53:27 PM »

Hi everyone

I wanted to show that atlas zombie texture. It is generated in Unity with TK2D tool. I love the result. it's like some kind of abstract painting.

However there are a lot of sprites, the texture is not so big cause we use pixel perfect.

The second texture is used for the zombie rim light.
Each color chanel of the picture contains a rim light for each direction ( left, top, bottom, right) and it reacted according to the light source.

LichiMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2014, 06:21:48 AM »

Wow! It looks great! Thanks a lot for sharing this Smiley

How do you use the rim light texture? Do you use it as a bump/normal map in a "Bumped Diffuse" Unity shader? a custom shader?
Btw... which application do you use to make the pixel animations?

Thanks!
Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2014, 06:26:33 AM »

This is a great premise for a game - lemmings meets left 4 dead. Your art style is awesome, I can't believe how intense that "sprite sheet" you posted is.

Also:

...this is why you make sure to work out both sides of your body equally. Tell this guy to switch to a barbell for a while instead of just lifting with his left.
BarelyHuman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2014, 11:38:09 AM »

This looks great! It reminds me of this flash game I played awhile back where you create a zombie and it infects other people. You could infect someone with a special virus to create a mutant zombie with unique abilities. The difference is that it was top down view and didn't have half the style this game has.
IGorGe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2014, 08:46:49 AM »

thanks mate.

So It's a custom shader. No normal map involved here. The rim lights for each direction (up, down, right, left) is stored in the four channels of the rim texture (RGBA) and then we use the light direction to know which channel has to be activated so that the rim is on the right side of the sprite.

And for animation I use "Pro-motion" a soft dedicated only for pixel.
with a limited 256 colors palet and some tools very usefull (anim brush, automatic tiling etc..)
In fact i know only pro-motion for pixel animation. there must be other more recent and practical, i don't know.

Wow! It looks great! Thanks a lot for sharing this Smiley

How do you use the rim light texture? Do you use it as a bump/normal map in a "Bumped Diffuse" Unity shader? a custom shader?
Btw... which application do you use to make the pixel animations?

Thanks!
IGorGe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2014, 01:22:25 AM »

Yes I remember a game like that. The aim was to infect as many humans a possible .

This looks great! It reminds me of this flash game I played awhile back where you create a zombie and it infects other people. You could infect someone with a special virus to create a mutant zombie with unique abilities. The difference is that it was top down view and didn't have half the style this game has.
jcstranger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2014, 04:02:50 AM »

Things I like: lemmings, zombies, dark settings with a lot of dark humour, playing the bad guys.

if it wasn't for that I would play that game just to watch that hilarious animations over and over again.

definitely following...

IGorGe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2014, 01:07:40 AM »

Hi Everyone

here is a city landscape concept art.
When it's full black and white, the difficulty is to find the good balance with grey levels. (difficulty increased by the fact that it is pixel-art).
As you can noticed, on the fist plan, the pixel are doubled to increase the sense of depth.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2014, 01:18:31 AM »

As you can noticed, on the fist plan, the pixel are doubled to increase the sense of depth.

Noticed it immediately (looked at the picture before reading), but in a negative way: the background looked very sharp in contrast to the big pixels in the foreground and it did not increase the sense of depths but felt wrong. Sad
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2014, 02:45:45 AM »

I WANT AN EXTRA FRAME BEFORE THE EXPLODING WHERE ALL THE BULGES INCREASE BEYOND THE POINT OF STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY
IGorGe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2014, 12:03:25 AM »

Thanks for the reply.
Well i'm quite confident with that. Logically , when you look at something distant, it will appear maller. So i made the pixels smaller, but also to clearly identify the gameplay level and the background.
Of course it works better with paralaxe scrolling . We have 4 levels of paralaxe in the background.

Noticed it immediately (looked at the picture before reading), but in a negative way: the background looked very sharp in contrast to the big pixels in the foreground and it did not increase the sense of depths but felt wrong. Sad
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic