Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:03:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingPublished author looking to gain experience in videogame writing
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Published author looking to gain experience in videogame writing  (Read 1099 times)
JonathanWood
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2014, 02:59:43 PM »

Hi, I'm Jonathan.  I'm a traditionally published author - my first book No Hero (the Lovecraftian urban fantasy that dared to ask, "What would Kurt Russell do?") was described and by Barnes and Noble as one the 20 best paranormal fantasies of the past decade, and by Publisher’s Weekly as “a funny, dark, rip-roaring adventure with a lot of heart, highly recommended for urban fantasy and light science fiction readers alike.” Charlaine Harris, author of the Sookie Stackhouse novels described it as, “so funny I laughed out loud.”  The sequel comes out next month, and two more books in the series will appear next year. My short fiction has appeared in Weird Tales, Chizine, and Beneath Ceaseless Skies, as well as anthologies such as The Book of Cthulhu 2 and Kaiju Rising.

I'm also a really avid videogame player and have been for years. I particularly love story-driven games, especially those put out by companies like Bioware and Telltale games. (I got super-nerdy about it on Wired.com once... http://archive.wired.com/geekdad/2013/01/redefining-storytelling-videogames/

Right now I'd love to get some experience working on a videogame project in order to help build up a portfolio and apply for some real freelance work. If anyone is interested in a sample of my writing (I tend towards fantasy/comedy/action) then the easiest place to point is my story The Nyarlathotep Event that was serialized on Wired.com. Part one is here: http://archive.wired.com/geekdad/2011/07/the-nyarlathotep-event-by-jonathan-wood-case-file-1-performance/  More links to my work can be found on my website: http://jonathanwoodauthor.com/

If anyone is looking for a writer and I seem to fit the bill, please leave me a message, shoot me an email, or just reply to this post.

Cheers
koïnsky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 01:30:40 AM »

Hi Jonathan,

Good luck on finding a project. I've been in your shoes a few years ago, trying to get into game projects as a writer. My piece of advice : don't ever join a project still in early stage. There is 95% chance the project will die and you'll have worked for nothing. It think minimum requirement is a functional prototype with most or all game mechanics implemented. A game doesn't need story from the start of its development. Personally, after three projects abandoned by their initiators, I dropped the idea and started coding my own game, which is an incredibly fun and hard process.

But do as you wish of course and again good luck ! Smiley
JonathanWood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 11:25:58 AM »

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic